What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicalgeek

Quote from: Linz on October 20, 2022, 12:25:10 PM
Nielsen Symphony No. 3 "Sinfonia Espansiva" and Symphony No. 2 "The Four Temperaments", Alan Gilbert and New York Philharmonic

Excellent choice! My new favorite Nielsen cycle!

TD:

Haydn
Symphony no. 60
Symphony no. 91
Orpheus Chamber Orchestra

(on CD)

More Orpheus Haydn, as delightful as ever!

Bizet
Carmen Suites nos. 1 and 2
L'Arlesienne Suites nos. 1 and 2
Lamoreux Orchestra
Igor Markevitch

From my Europadisc order, which arrived in just five days!

Really gripping, exciting performances. Of course, the French orchestras of that day are an acquired taste, but I quite enjoyed the characterful woodwinds and the vibrato-laden horns!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Operafreak

Sibelius: Symphony Nos. 3, 5 & Pohjola's Daughter/ Gothenburg Symphony Orchestra, Santtu-Matias Rouvali
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Symphonic Addict

Schreker: Der ferne Klang

Despite some little attractive dialogues in the first act, this is another lush and lustrous work. I have a strong affinity with the composer's musical aesthetics.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mapman

Lazzari: Tableaux Maritimes
Adriano: Moscow

Very enjoyable! It's later than La Mer, but more Romantic in style. There are also a couple hints of Sibelius in there.

Que

Harry

Quote from: Que on October 20, 2022, 11:12:34 PM
Morning listening on Spotify:

Good morning Que.
This recording did not do much for me I am afraid, they further went astray from the realm of excellence. I remember with fondness the CD's I/we bought like "Adrian Willaert: Musica Nova", & "Renaissance am Rhein", etc, when they still turned out good things. But all may not be lost, lets just see, what?
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

A few cantatas a day, keeps depression away! How's that for a change huh?

J.S. Bach.
Leipzig Cantatas 1724.
Volume 27.
BWV. 80/5/115.
Bach Collegium Japan, Masaaki Suzuki.
Susanna Ryden, Pascal Bertin, Gerd Turk, Peter Kooij.

Two things have changed, yet another Counter, Pascal Bertin, and Susanna Ryden, Soprano. Ryden is a refreshing addition to the stable of Suzuki. An agile and souple voice. A voice not burdened with undue vibrato or long legato outbursts, just a nice voice. Bertin is yet another counter, as if Suzuki has trouble to find one that will do, I doubt he will stay a fixed element in the soloist museum. All three cantatas are fine examples of the Leipzig period, and Suzuki does them proud. BWV 80, "Ein Feste burg ist unser Gott" has a beautiful Aria for counter and tenor "Wie selig sind doch die, die Gott im Munde tragen" which shows that Bertin is a very able counter, that's a relief. Hooty counters are a plague to be avoided. Very good sound.

Harry

Organ Works of the North German Baroque.
Volume I.

Nicolaus Bruhns.
Georg Dietrich Leyding.
Complete Organ works.
Friedhelm Flamme, organ.
Christian Vater organ (1724) St. Petri-Kirche, Melle, Germany.
Pitch: Chorton G sharp, c. 441 Hz.
Temperament: 1/6 comma after Valotti.

I like what I hear, but I have some reservations, as per usual with Friedhelm Flamme. The Baroque organ by Vater sounds a dream, so that's a great plus, aided by a friendly acoustic. Flamme could be a bit more sensitive to the needs of Bruhns, and less occupied with displaying how well he knows were the keys are. The composer must speak, less so the performer. Leyding I did not know, but then again my knowledge is not the best as some of the organ buffs on this forum. Anyway I like what he composed well enough. He lived at the same time as Bruhns, studied with Reincken and Buxtehude, and was in general highly regarded for his compositions.
He composed quite a lot of Organ music, but little of it survived the times, alas. Very enjoyable I say!
Excellent recording.

Operafreak

Beethoven & Sibelius: Violin Concertos/Christian Tetzlaff (violin)/ Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin, Robin Ticciati
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Harry

On a Sibelius journey, going through all my recordings of this composer, and those are quite a lot.

Jean Sibelius.
Symphony No. 1 in E minor.
Finlandia.
The Gothenburg SO, Neeme Jarvi.

I bought the recording as soon as it came out. At that time there was a big fat warning on the backside of the CD, "Warning", for the staggering dynamics, which made me laugh then and still does. Anyway, Jarvi has enough to say about Sibelius that makes me put him in high regard, in interpretation and recording. His approach is austere and even cold at times, but I can smell the pines of Finland and feel the trickle of the cold water of the fjords. What warmth there is, Jarvi finds it, not missing one detail in this great first symphony, or for that matter Finlandia, a robust and character full work of a towering genius.

Traverso

Mookalafalas

It's all good...

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 21, 2022, 03:36:09 AM
What were you listening to (I can't see the image)?  :)

PD

Strange, I can see it, even in your "quote".

Anyway, its Bruno Canino and Paolo Ardinghi playing the Mozart sonatas for Piano and Violin, on the Davinci Classics label.
It's all good...

Pohjolas Daughter

Revisiting a recording of harpsichord music (purchased some years ago).  It's by Andreas Staier and called Hamburg 1734.  He plays music on a harpsichord created by Hieronymus Albrecht Hass.  I must admit that from what I recall hearing in the past, this harpsichord has a much greater breadth and depth than I am used to hearing come from a harpsichord.  From the liner notes: He "created an instrument whose sonority was inspired by the variety and amplitude of the organ."

The one that Mr. Staier plays on is a copy of the original.

It's a nice selection of works by Telemann, J. Mattheson, Buxtehude, Handel, Bohm, Weckmann, Scheidemann and Pauset.

On Harmonia Mundi.

Quote from: Mookalafalas on October 21, 2022, 04:02:47 AM
Strange, I can see it, even in your "quote".

Anyway, its Bruno Canino and Paolo Ardinghi playing the Mozart sonatas for Piano and Violin, on the Davinci Classics label.
Thanks.

Sometimes, all I can see (I have Macs) is a little blue square with a white question mark inside of it.  :-(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 21, 2022, 04:06:12 AM

Sometimes, all I can see (I have Macs) is a little blue square with a white question mark inside of it.  :-(

Actually, I couldn't find an image from US Amazon, so it's an image address from the Mp3 version at Amazon Italy. In other words, not too strange you couldn't see it.

And glad to hear you are enjoying some Telemann  :)

TD:
  More WAM piano/Violin sonatas, but from Grumiaux-- big Philips Box
It's all good...

j winter

Starting the day with some CPE Bach, always a delight...

From this, probably my favorite musical purchase from the Covid lockdown days...

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Harry

Dmitri Shostakovich.
Symphony No. 4 i C minor.
LPO. Bernard Haitink.

Superb performance and top-notch recording.