What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel (+ 1 Hidden) and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Lisztianwagner

Antonín Dvořák
Symphony No.7

Mariss Jansons & Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Harry

Jean Sibelius.
Orchestral works.
Scenes Historiques opus 25&66.
En Saga..
Gothenburg SO, Neeme Jarvi.

This completes my journey through Sibelius Orchestral Music. Until a next time.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Madiel

Schumann: Romanzen und Balladen, Volume 4 (op.64)

In the 3rd and 4th volumes... some of 'em just sound like Lieder.  ;D

Seriously, though, while there's a trend to somewhat big and grand songs, there's also some smaller scale ones thrown in.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Beethoven: piano trio op.1/1 in E flat major.

I might not hear the whole thing before drifting off. But the recent Barenboim set reminded me that I had an intention to listen to just the 'main' trios - op.1, op.70 and op.97.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Harry

Grazyna Bacewicz.
Violin concertos.
No. 2/4/5.
Joanna Kurkowicz, Violin.
Polish Radio SO, Lukasz Borowicz.

Must have performances for those that are already enjoying the Symphonies and Chamber works. Excellent performances and very good sound. Lucasz Borowicz is also the conductor in the Symphonies on CPO.

Traverso

Mozart

"Haffner Serenade" KV 250

Divertimento KV 251

Todd

The Martinů Quartet delivered a fine Martinů cycle back when, so it was about time to hear some of their Dvorak.  It manages to marry more vibrant, intense playing and ample beauty and warmth in the slower music.  It flows basically flawlessly. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Harry

Jehan Titelouze.
Hymnes de l'eglise pur toucher sur l'orgue avec les Fugues er Recherches sur leur plain-chant.
CD I.
Ad Coenam agni providi.
Veni Creator Spiritus.
Pange lingua Gloriosi.
Ut queant laxis.
Ave maris stella.
Conditor alme Siderum.
Leon Berben plays on a Jean de Villiers & Jacques Carouge organ 1663, Eglise Notre Dame Juvigny, France.

Diapason: a tone below the modern tone.
Temperament according to Lambert Chaumont:
4 pure thirds (ce, df#, fa, gb).

I am duly impressed, such a fine organ, perfectly balanced and tuned. I always had a thing for Titelouze's music ever since a bought a set with organ music from Radio France. I personally cannot think that this music can be better performed as on both Aeolus discs. Leon Berben has the perfect approach, and gets thereby the maximum out of the music. And apart from that a perfect recording.

Traverso

Harry

Jacobus Handl Gallus.
Moralia-Harmoniae-Morales.
CD III from III.
Harmoniae Morales 20-53.
Singer Pur.

Linz

Beethoven Symphony No. 5 with Eugen Jochum, Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks, and Symphony No.6 'Pastoral' and the Berliner Philharmoniker

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Papy Oli

Bach - Harpsichord Concertos

Trevor Pinnock, Kenneth Gilbert, Lars Ulrik Mortensen, Nicholas Kraemer (harpsichords)
English Concert

BWV 1052 to 1055 to start with. Lively and lovely.

Olivier

Brian

Quote from: Madiel on January 09, 2023, 09:02:59 PMI have a twitching need to work out how they could have fit the music onto 3 discs instead of 4.

CD1
Symphonies 1, 3, 4 (80:35)

CD2
Symphonies 2, 5 (75:36)

CD3
Symphonies 6, 7, 8 (81:30)

Quote from: vandermolen on January 09, 2023, 11:24:36 PMNice start to the day:
Although the Commonwealth Christmas Overture is a little too long, I enjoyed it, and really enjoyed the clarinet concerto and concerto for orchestra. Some of my favorite Arnold so far.

Harry

Rocco Greco.
Music for Bass Violin.
Mvsica Perdvta.
Renato Criscuolo, Bass Violin.
Vincenzo Bianco, Violin.

Very entertaining music, creatively worked out in the score, well played and recorded. An unknown composer, but I am very glad I made the acquaintance. Really a find.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Pohjolas Daughter

Dvorak's String Quartet No. 13 with the Vlach Quartet on an old Supraphon LP.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Brian on January 10, 2023, 07:01:04 AMCD1
Symphonies 1, 3, 4 (80:35)

CD2
Symphonies 2, 5 (75:36)

CD3
Symphonies 6, 7, 8 (81:30)
Although the Commonwealth Christmas Overture is a little too long, I enjoyed it, and really enjoyed the clarinet concerto and concerto for orchestra. Some of my favorite Arnold so far.
Re: Malcolm Arnold
Thanks for your comments
The Commonwealth Christmas Overture does lapse into bathos during the 'calypso' episode but I found this quite fun and characteristic of Arnold's musical and personal unpredictability and took it in that spirit. I have to say that I have been playing this CD over and over again, with much pleasure. The entertaining 'Padstow Lifeboat' has a 'Monty Python' quality. I'd definitely recommend this (new Chandos) disc, which has given me much pleasure.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SonicMan46

Bach, JS - Cello Suites on a shoulder-cello w/ Sigiswald Kuijken - a change of pace from my 3 or 4 'regular' cello recordings of these works; also own Hopkinson Smith's performances on the theorbo/lute.  Dave :)

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 4 Remy Ballot