What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz

Haydn Symphony No. 60 in C major, Hob.I:60 in C major, Hob.I:60 'Per la Commedia intitolata Il Distratto', Symphony No. 70 in D major, Hob.I:70 and Symphony No. 12 in E major, Hob.I:12 and Domenico Cimaroas, Il Maestro di Cappella, Riccardo Novaro, Baritone, Il Giardino Armonico, Giovanni Antonini

Lisztianwagner

Maurice Ravel
Ma mère l'oye

Claudio Abbado & London Symphony Orchestra

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Irons

Diamond: 2nd Symphony.

After the lightness and feel-good of Diamond's Violin Concerto the emotional core of his 2nd Symphony surprised. Unusual slow, quick, slow, quick layout that worked. The opening I thought may be a bit rich for my tastes but need not have worried as more then one mood makes up this symphonic whole. The heart of the work is the sublime 3rd movement, subtle and less heart-on-sleeve then the 1st. The finale is pure Americana, a hoedown of which Copeland would be proud. Top draw playing from Seattle Symphony, as is recording. The flute and trumpet solos of the third movement are magically caught.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

SonicMan46

Remaining CDs from my recently delivered Prestomusic order (looks like the UK is back in the international shipping buisness -  :D ):

Beethoven, LV - Wind Music w/ the period instrument group Ricercar Academy; 2 discs w/ the second having one work by Ries & Danzi (including Beethoven) playing on natural horn and fortepiano.

Mozart, WA - Flute Quartets w/ Lisa Beznosiuk on a 4-keyed ebony flute by Heinrich Gresner, Dresden c. 1798.

Schubert, Franz - Impromptus w/ Andrea Lucchesini - great reviews attached including one from our own Brian on MusicWeb (a recording of the month) - Dave :)

aligreto

Brahms: Choral Works [Parkman]

Drei Gesange, Op 42

Wonderful acapella singing from the Danish National Radio Choir.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Linz on February 23, 2023, 09:42:50 AMPaul Hindemith Symphonische Metamorphosen nach Themen von Carl Maria von Weber, 'Noblilissima Visione' Suite and 'Mathis Der Maler' - Symphonie, Philadelphia Orchestra, Wolfgang Sawallisch

Great recording!

Todd

2 & 3.  Like the C Major, the B Flat is top notch, and maybe even relatively better.  Apollonian, light, zippy, clear, it's just swell.  The C Minor, however, lacks adequate fire. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Paul Creston SY2. Ukraine National Symphony Orchestra, Theodore Kuchar.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: ultralinear on February 23, 2023, 02:36:34 PMMaliszewski  Symphonies 1-4 plus various bits (Przemysław Neumann / Opole Philharmonic)

As a member of the St Petersburg composers' circle around Rimsky-Korsakov and Glazunov, and a significant figure in his own right (he founded the Odessa Conservatory), it's surprising how little of this Ukrainian-Polish composer's music is available on record - it's basically this recently-released set, and a 3rd Symphony + Piano Concerto on Dutton, and that's pretty much it.  Yet even though it's not really my specialty, I don't see this as being any less of interest than anything by his colleagues.  I heard a broadcast performance of the 1st Symphony conducted by Lukasz Borowicz a couple of years ago and was sufficiently intrigued to mentally bookmark it, and am enjoying this set perhaps even more than I expected.  I thought it would probably be OK, and it's better than OK.

The 3rd Symphony struck me like the best work of that set. The rest of the works don't possess substance enough IMO.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Berlioz/Liszt: Symphonie Fantastique (arr. for piano)

Apart from the music itself, most of the the cover arts of this epic series are great.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Bartók: Viola Concerto (comp. by T. Serly)

Just started.

Noam Chomsky

DavidW

I re-listened to the Barbirolli Sibelius 2 last night and then his Mahler 6 which I had not heard in a long time.  Barbirolli's groanings on that recording are legendary! ;D  Today I listened to Brahms String Sextets and Martinu's Piano Trios.  The latter is beautiful, melodic.  Despite really liking that recording of the symphonies recently, I personally connect more with Martinu's chamber music.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: DavidW on February 23, 2023, 04:00:03 PM

I can't help but think that the guy on the right looks like a cab driver. :)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Bachtoven

Quote from: Bachtoven on February 17, 2023, 10:42:31 AMThe first of several new releases I'll be listening to via Qobuz. This is disappointing. While he is technically adept, his playing is too cautious for my taste.

Hmmm...after giving this a second listen, I find his playing plenty dynamic. I used headphones the first time, and I think the circuitry in my amp compresses the sound in the headphone amp to protect one's hearing. Just a guess...I'll have to look into it. Anyway, he sounds like a different player through my speakers.

Operafreak

Mendelssohn: Violin Concerto, Violin Sonata in F Major & Songs Without Words

Augustin Dumay (violin), Orpheus Chamber Orchestra, Jonathan Fournel (piano)
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Harry

Good morning all!

A secret Labyrinth.
CS 13.
Jacobus Gallus.
Opus  Musicum.
Missa super.
Sancta Maria.
Huelgas Ensemble, Paul van Nevel.

Gallus is a welcome guest in my home. I like his music very much, and also this performance, albeit one remark I would like to place. In the Tribus Miraculis, a few of the soprano's due to the high tessitura fly out of the bend. Some nasty shrill tones. Here and there that happens during the performance, though it will not diminish my enthusiasm for this record.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Morning on Spotify:

A Mandryka recommendation. nice!  :D

Quote from: Harry on February 23, 2023, 10:37:14 PMGood morning all!

A secret Labyrinth.
CS 13.
Jacobus Gallus.
Opus  Musicum.
Missa super.
Sancta Maria.
Huelgas Ensemble, Paul van Nevel.

Gallus is a welcome guest in my home. I like his music very much, and also this performance, albeit one remark I would like to place. In the Tribus Miraculis, a few of the soprano's due to the high tessitura fly out of the bend. Some nasty shrill tones. Here and there that happens during the performance, though it will not diminish my enthusiasm for this record.

Good to see you're enjoy revisiting that set.  :)
In my musical journey it created my "break through" into Early Music. Fond memories and in my eyes still an iconic set.

Mandryka

Beautifully phrased and lively counterpoint, marred for me by a slightly hard tone. It's not a question of touch, it's more a question of recording quality I think.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Harry

Friedrich Gernsheim.
Violin Concertos No.1 in D major & No. 2 in F major.
Fantasiestück for Violin and Orchestra.

Linus Roth, Violin.
Hamburger Symphoniker, Johannes Zurl.

There is really nothing to complain about if it comes to the beautifully crafted violin concertos, or for that matter the Fantasiestück. Its all up to the usual quality Gernsheim delivers, and so if you like his music in general you will like the works on this recording. As to the performance, Linus Roth, an unknown violinist to me, makes a excellent case for Gernsheim romantic outpourings. After all Gernsheim is full of the romantic era, and oozes it out of every pore in his being. Makes me happy to hear these works. A slight quibble however about the recording quality, in general its good but in the tuttis especially the timpani, makes for boomy episodes. Holger Urbach, a otherwise excellent engineer does not make these recording mistakes often. Still recommended.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."