What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VonStupp, Linz and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

vandermolen

Symphony No.5 (Marriner, Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Earlier: two great Naxos CDs
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

After listening to the 8th disc, I have to concur with @Dry Brett Kavanaugh : the playing is mostly too forceful, lacking warmth and nuance. The Lieder ohne Worte especially suffer as a result. I will not cull this box as it's nice to have all of Mendelssohn's piano music at hand --- but there is a reason why LOW are his best-known and most-played piano works, and I'll stick to them, in performances more sensitive and delicate than Markovina's.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

VonStupp

Antonín Dvořák
Piano Trio No. 3 in F minor, Op. 65

Young Uck Kim, violin
Yo-Yo Ma, cello
Emanuel Ax, piano

Thankful to @Madiel  for putting me on to the piano trios.

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

71 dB

Double Bass Concertos by Vanhal and Dittersdorf
Chi-Chi Nwanoku/Swedish Chamber Orchestra/Paul Goodwin
Hyperion
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

DavidW

My favorite eroica.

Only the D960.

Only the Serenade.

Traverso

Ravel

Le Tombeau de Couperin
Pavane pour une infante défunte
Menuet antique
Miroirs

Karl Henning

Possibly my first listen to this recording:

RVW
A Sea Symphony
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Lisztianwagner

Béla Bartók
The Wooden Prince

Pierre Boulez & New York Philharmonic

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Traverso

Poulenc

Figure humaine
Quatre Motets pour un temps pénitence
Laudes de Saint Antoine de Padua
Quatre Motets pour le temps Noël
Quatre petites Prières de Saint François d'Assise

The Sixteen
Harry Christophers

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

aligreto

Handel: Italian Secular Cantatas [Murray/Christophers]

Delirio Amoroso HWV 99 Murray/Christophers]

This is a delightful performance. The vocal element from Murray is very committed and wonderfully buoyant without being over earnest; not to mention Murray's vocal technical abilities. The orchestral textures are much thinner and therefore more clear here to me. I particularly enjoyed this presentation.

Linz

Dvořák Symphony No. 8 In G major, Op. 88 and Symphony No. 9 in E minor, Op. 95 "From the New World" Rafael Kubelik

aligreto

Albinoni: Trio Sonatas 7-12 [Parnassi musici]

This is delightful, charming and very fine music that is well played and presented here. These readings are vibrant and very sympathetic to the nature of the music. The recorded sound is full, if a little on the dry side but this is a very minor quibble. These musicians promote this music very well. Trio Sonata No. 9, in particular, stands out for me in this set.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Bachtoven

I don't think I've seen any Baroque music issued by Baroque Records; regardless, this is very good.

JBS

Earlier today, a Mahlerthon: the Seventh AND Eighth Symphonies

Now as a counterbalance

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on February 25, 2023, 12:26:25 PMEarlier today, a Mahlerthon: the Seventh AND Eighth Symphonies
That's a full workday, lad!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Linz

Mozart Piano Concerto No. 21 in C K467 and Piano Concerto no. 22 in E flat K482, Annie Fischer piano, Philharmonia Orchestra, Wolfgang Sawalliisch

Spotted Horses

Quote from: aligreto on February 25, 2023, 11:36:28 AMAlbinoni: Trio Sonatas 7-12 [Parnassi musici]

This is delightful, charming and very fine music that is well played and presented here. These readings are vibrant and very sympathetic to the nature of the music. The recorded sound is full, if a little on the dry side but this is a very minor quibble. These musicians promote this music very well. Trio Sonata No. 9, in particular, stands out for me in this set.

An exquisit disc that belies the perception that Albinoni was a second rate composer.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington