What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brewski

Quote from: Mapman on February 25, 2023, 04:07:13 PMI'm watching this free live stream which is just starting. Here's the description from the DSO:https://www.dso.org/watch/2309726

Hey, thanks, I missed the first piece, but am catching the Grieg, and looking forward to the Symphony in F-sharp minor by Dora Pejaečvić, whose work I don't know at all.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Symphonic Addict

Recently:

Delius: Eventyr (Once upon a time), for orchestra

Absolutely fantastic and bewitching, haunting in a way too not much dissimilar of Bax or Bridge. First-rate orchestration too. When Delius wanted to be good, he really succeded at it. Atmospheric at its best.

Langgaard: The Dream 'Sinfonia interna'

The composer at his most pastoral, heavenly and dreamy. Now I've come to think of him as a favorite tunesmith. I find this feature of its particularly special; both composer and music are very special to me.

Huber: Symphony No. 3 in C major, op. 118 'Heroische'

It has its moments, but I had to stop when the 1st mov. finished. Trivial is a word that comes to mind when listening to this. It's too much 'fake' in its atmosphere or what is it supposed to suggest, and eventually, weak. And Hurwitz praised him, btw! You can figure out!  ;D
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Bachtoven

After watching the movie TÁR last night, which references Bernstein's Mahler 5th several times, I decided to play it tonight. Gripping from beginning to end.

brewski

Quote from: Bachtoven on February 25, 2023, 05:55:29 PMAfter watching the movie TÁR last night, which references Bernstein's Mahler 5th several times, I decided to play it tonight. Gripping from beginning to end.

That is definitely a great Mahler 5. (I haven't seen the movie yet.)

-Bruce

Symphonic Addict

Koechlin: Vers la voûte étoilée

Relieved I'm not hearing Debussy and Messiaen here, it can't be more different of both! Ridiculously heart-wrenchingly-achingly beautiful. That climax...!

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

brewski

Just finished watching the Detroit Symphony Orchestra in Dora Pejaečvić's Symphony in F-sharp minor, conducted by Jader Bignamini without a score (very impressive). There are so many livestreams lately that I forget about Detroit (my bad), and Marc Geelhoed, who is doing a great job as executive producer for the "Live from Orchestra Hall" series. Next livestream is March 3: https://www.dso.org/events-and-tickets/events/22-23-winter/classical-roots

And wow, the Detroit hall is now on my "to visit" list—old-school gorgeous.

-Bruce

Mapman

Quote from: brewski on February 25, 2023, 06:18:22 PMJust finished watching the Detroit Symphony Orchestra in Dora Pejaečvić's Symphony in F-sharp minor, conducted by Jader Bignamini without a score (very impressive). There are so many livestreams lately that I forget about Detroit (my bad), and Marc Geelhoed, who is doing a great job as executive producer for the "Live from Orchestra Hall" series. Next livestream is March 3: https://www.dso.org/events-and-tickets/events/22-23-winter/classical-roots

-Bruce

I've been to Orchestra Hall in Detroit many times; it is gorgeous. (It also has old-school legroom, which can be quite bad in spots. Avoid the first 1-3 rows of each balcony section.) If you can also make to the Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor (on the University of Michigan campus, with a few visiting orchestras per year), I highly recommend it: I find it an even more impressive hall. (And it has displays of old musical instruments in the lobby!)

Pejaečvić's symphony is very attractive. I recall that some members here (including @Harry) are fans of her music.

JBS

Quote from: brewski on February 25, 2023, 06:18:22 PMJust finished watching the Detroit Symphony Orchestra in Dora Pejaečvić's Symphony in F-sharp minor, conducted by Jader Bignamini without a score (very impressive). There are so many livestreams lately that I forget about Detroit (my bad), and Marc Geelhoed, who is doing a great job as executive producer for the "Live from Orchestra Hall" series. Next livestream is March 3: https://www.dso.org/events-and-tickets/events/22-23-winter/classical-roots

-Bruce

Naxos used it for the cover art of the Slatkin/Detroit Rachmaninov symphony cycle

Photography credit is listed as David Krieger.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Operafreak

Corigliano, Kverndokk & Denisov: Oboe Concertos

Steinar Hannevold (oboe)-Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra, Dmitri Kitajenko
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Brian

Quote from: Mapman on February 25, 2023, 06:37:42 PMI've been to Orchestra Hall in Detroit many times; it is gorgeous. (It also has old-school legroom, which can be quite bad in spots. Avoid the first 1-3 rows of each balcony section.) If you can also make to the Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor (on the University of Michigan campus, with a few visiting orchestras per year), I highly recommend it: I find it an even more impressive hall. (And it has displays of old musical instruments in the lobby!)

Pejaečvić's symphony is very attractive. I recall that some members here (including @Harry) are fans of her music.
Have they fixed the seats? When I lived there 2001-2005 they reinstalled the seats at least once, and for one season provided little extra cushions, because they were so uncomfortable people's legs were going numb. I imagine they must be fixed now 18 years later but I have to ask!

Mapman

Quote from: Brian on February 25, 2023, 07:43:57 PMHave they fixed the seats? When I lived there 2001-2005 they reinstalled the seats at least once, and for one season provided little extra cushions, because they were so uncomfortable people's legs were going numb. I imagine they must be fixed now 18 years later but I have to ask!

Partially. The seats themselves are fine. The biggest problem is that the first row of both the middle and upper balcony sections is so close to the railing that there is almost no legroom. (And you can't comfortably put your legs between the railing supports either. Both times I have ended up with seats there, I moved back at intermission.) In the upper balcony, rows 2 and 3 also have lower legroom. I now regularly sit in the 4th row. I sat in a main floor seat once, and it was fine.

Undersea

Currently:

Wolf: Mörike-Lieder

This week I have been a bit more interested in Songs than usual.
Bought a copy of the above Box-Set yesterday and listening my way through it for the first time.
Liking the Music from the first 2 Discs so far - good stuff for a relaxed Sunday listening session...

Que

Morning listening;

A wonderful and very strong performance!  :)

Que

Quote from: Undersea on February 25, 2023, 10:21:23 PMCurrently:

Wolf: Mörike-Lieder

This week I have been a bit more interested in Songs than usual.
Bought a copy of the above Box-Set yesterday and listening my way through it for the first time.
Liking the Music from the first 2 Discs so far - good stuff for a relaxed Sunday listening session...

After years, I am again gravitating towards the genre as well.
I just got the complete Brahms Lieder edition on cpo. Very much looking forward to it!

For proper enjoyment, texts are key. For the issues in which those are sadly missing, I could recommend:

Tsaraslondon

Continuing with Disc 2 of this superb set, we have the early music side of an LP entiteld A Pageant of English Song, and more duets (Handel, Lawes, Purcell, Mendlessohn, Mendlessohn-Hensel and Cornelius) with Fischer-Dieskau, this time taken from two different releases. Original covers below.

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

Hindemith - Symphony "Die Harmonie der Welt"
Tortelier / BBC Phil.

Olivier

Operafreak

Weber - The Symphonies

Tapiola Sinfonietta, Jean-Jacques Kantorow
The true adversary will inspire you with boundless courage.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Nikolai Tcherepnin - Le Pavillon d'Armide. Saint Petersburg Academic Symphony Orchestra, Victor Fedotov.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Operafreak on February 25, 2023, 07:41:50 PM
Corigliano, Kverndokk & Denisov: Oboe Concertos

Steinar Hannevold (oboe)-Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra, Dmitri Kitajenko

I must check the recording!