What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

vandermolen

Quote from: Løvfald on February 27, 2023, 10:53:12 AMMyaskovsky: Symphonies 5 and 6

My favorite recordings of both symphonies. The 4th mov. from the 5th reminds me of Glazunov; this one's got a more "Russian" flavour to it. The Sixth is a monumental work that suffers from some longueurs, chiefly in the slow movement.

Two fine CDs!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Vaughan Williams: Symphony No.6, BBC SO, Sargent - great performance:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Todd

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 27, 2023, 10:20:46 AMHi Todd - I own the Flesch Quartet in these works (pic added above - String Quintet the accompany work), but after reading the attached reviews decided a culling was needed, and found a discounted price at JPC for the 2-disc set, i.e. only 8+ Euros for me in the USA - Dave :)

I've never done any A/Bs except for the First (with the Schubert Quartet Vienna) and the Aron is entirely satisfactory.  Plus you get the Piano Quintet.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Todd

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No.8 in C Major, 1887/90 Mixed Versions. Ed. Robert Haas

aligreto

Adams: The Chairman Dances [DeWaart]

I really like the very varied rhythmic content of this music along with its great inherent sense of drama, excitement and vitality. I also find the orchestral textures and sonorities to be wonderful.

Lisztianwagner

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Symphony No. 36 'Linz'

Hans Rosbaud & Sudwestfunk-Orchester Baden Baden

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Que

Mandryka

Quote from: Traverso on February 27, 2023, 10:41:07 AMThanks for posting,I only know Margaret Price from her Tristan.I love these Brahms songs and immediately looked for and found a copy,beautiful singing....

The high point for me is the Heine songs - the rest of the Cd is made up of folk songs. There's another Brahms CD with Price and James Lockhart on the piano which has no folksy material - well worth getting too if you can.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Symphonic Addict

Martinu: Concerto for double string orchestra, piano and timpani (Sejna, Czech P.O.)

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

DavidW

This time the complete album and not just the 6th.  Engaging music through and through.

classicalgeek

Recently:

Ernest Chausson
Symphony in B-flat major
Boston Symphony Orchestra
Charles Munch

(on CD)

Shostakovich
Symphony no. 5
Vienna Philharmonic
Mariss Jansons

(on CD)

Egon Wellesz
Symphony no. 5
Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra
Gottfried Rabl

(on Spotify)
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vandermolen on February 27, 2023, 07:15:19 AMBantock: Hebridean Symphony
I'm now of the opinion that this is the finest recording of this mysterious and atmospheric work - better that the much-hyped Hyperion version with Vernon Handley. I now have five  :o recordings (the Marco Polo is the same as the Naxos but the Naxos is better engineered) of this work (including a fine, pioneering LP version with the City of Hull Youth Orchestra conducted by Geoffrey Heald-Smith). Best cover image as well:

[/quote
Quote from: vandermolen on February 27, 2023, 07:15:19 AMBantock: Hebridean Symphony
I'm now of the opinion that this is the finest recording of this mysterious and atmospheric work - better that the much-hyped Hyperion version with Vernon Handley. I now have five  :o recordings (the Marco Polo is the same as the Naxos but the Naxos is better engineered) of this work (including a fine, pioneering LP version with the City of Hull Youth Orchestra conducted by Geoffrey Heald-Smith). Best cover image as well:

Looks interesting. I will check the recording. As for the Naxos reissues of Marco Polo, I was always wondering if the Naxos remasters and improves the Marco Polo recordings or just issues the same recordings without mastering/modification.

Todd

VonStupp

Antonín Dvořák
23 Moravian Duets, op. 20, Op. 32, Op. 38

Stanislav Bogunia, piano
Kühn Mixed Chorus - Pavel Kühn (rec. 1986)

I don't know how many repeat listenings they will receive, but these are beautiful works. Dvořák keeps them simple, but there are enough (gentle) harmonic left turns to hold my attention.

I was very happy with this chorus; not overbearing with vibrato, and an endearing, folksy ruddiness to their tone.

As I was listening, I thought Lutosławski's 20 Polish Christmas Carols would be an excellent pairing with the Moravian Duets, at least in their choral guise.

VS

The album is also found on YouTube: Moravian Duets
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Karl Henning

Quote from: classicalgeek on February 27, 2023, 02:57:32 PMRecently:

Ernest Chausson
Symphony in B-flat major
Boston Symphony Orchestra
Charles Munch

(on CD)

Shostakovich
Symphony no. 5
Vienna Philharmonic
Mariss Jansons

(on CD)

Egon Wellesz
Symphony no. 5
Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra
Gottfried Rabl

(on Spotify)

Nice lineup!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Symphonic Addict

Brahms: Variations and Fugue on a theme by Händel (orch. by Rubbra)

Phenomenal to say the least.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Berg: Violin Concerto

The 1st mov. sounded somewhat monotonous, yet I was caught by the 2nd mov. the most. Sounds gnarly and fragile at times.

Noam Chomsky

Bachtoven

For some reason Parry has never been on my radar, but after seeing this posted I thought I'd check it out. I liked it enough to buy the 24/96k download. It's wonderful!

Symphonic Addict

Beethoven: Symphony No. 9

Nothing like meeting again an old good friend. Simply exultant!

Noam Chomsky