What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen, Harry and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mandryka

Huettenbrenner Variations, Schubert. Dalberto joins Richter on the top t.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

Magnard: Symphony No.3

PS I now like this one as much as the fabulous Symphony No.4. The 'liturgical' sounding opening movement is especially fine and rather moving.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: absolutelybaching on March 02, 2023, 10:07:28 AMComposer : Jean Sibelius
Recording : Symphony No. 4 (Gibson - 1982)
Performers : Alexander Gibson, Royal Scottish National Orchestra
A great set of Sibelius symphonies!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Linz

Mozart Serenade No. 10 in B flat major "Gran Partita" K361, Handel Concerto for Organ in F major op. 4 no. 4 HWV 292, Michel Schneider organ, Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks

aligreto

Delibes: Coppélia Act I [Bonynge]

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on March 02, 2023, 10:08:28 AMMagnard: Symphony No.3

PS I now like this one as much as the fabulous Symphony No.4. The 'liturgical' sounding opening movement is especially fine and rather moving.

A great set!

aligreto

Barry: Barry Meets Beethoven [Hillier]

The opening section, Beethoven.

Lisztianwagner

Claude Debussy
La Mer

Hans Rosbaud & Südwestfunkorchester Baden-Baden

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Karl Henning

JSB
BWV 48, Ich elender Mensch, wer wird mich erlösen
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ritter

A rare outing of Bartók's The Miraculous Mandarin chez ritter tonight (Pierre Boulez conducts the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and Chorus),

I was inspired to listen to this piece by the interesting chapter The Futurist Mandarin in Vitoria Crespi Morbio's book on Enrico Prampolini, who designed the sets and costumes for a 1942 staging of the ballet at La Scala, choreographed by Aurel Miloss (who had worked closely with the composer on the work).

Lisztianwagner

Gustav Mahler
Symphony No. 7

Hans Rosbaud & Sudwestfunk-Orchester Baden-Baden

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: ritter on March 02, 2023, 01:21:13 PMA rare outing of Bartók's The Miraculous Mandarin chez ritter tonight (Pierre Boulez conducts the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and Chorus),

A great choice, it's a goosebumping recording!

Todd

Revisiting this supremely fine sounding 24/192 download.  As audiophiles well know, it's the sampling between 96 and 192 kHz that makes it sound more gooder.  Pity it's not available as a 256 download.

I bought this before the full Berg disc was released, so now I kind of want that since it has the VC with Shaham.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: absolutelybaching on March 02, 2023, 09:09:12 AMCrikey. How has that flown under my radar all these years?
Serious hat-tip for pointing this out to me.
I obviously have the work (i.e., La Sensitiva, on Marco Polo), but I had no idea Janet Baker ever recorded it. I do now, however: and my wallet is lighter for it! So, sincere thanks.

My pleasure! I hope you enjoy it!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

CD 41
Wallingford Riegger
Symphony № 3 in G, Op. 42 (1946–1947, revised 1960)
Eastman-Rochester Symphony Orchestra
Howard Hanson, conductor
Recorded in the Eastman Theater, Rochester 30 Apr 1952

Peter Mennin
Symphony № 3 (completed May 17, 1946, his doctoral dissertation at the Eastman School of Music)
Philharmonic-Symphony Orchestra of New York (New York Philharmonic)
Dmitri Mitropoulos, conductor
Recorded at the Columbia 30th Street Studio 1 Feb 1954

Native to Albany, Georgia, Wallingford Riegger (Wallingford was his mother's maiden name) seems not half so well known as Walter Piston, William Schuman, Roy Harris or Peter Mennin ... I was tempted to suggest that Riegger is 'practically unknown,' only I do know better than to take my own degree of ignorance as to someone as normative. I first heard of Riegger when a professor who had attended my performance of my own piece for clarinet and organ complimented me, saying the piece reminded him of the music of Wallingford Riegger. I was insufficiently enterprising to seek out Riegger's music at the time, so not only does the present recording satisfy at last a long-dormant curiosity, but I now understand what a compliment I received 40 years ago. The Third Symphony, which received the New York Music Critics' Circle Award and a Naumburg Foundation Recording Award, robustly demonstrates the composer's deserving his place among the more celebrated native-born symphonists mentioned above.
Mennin is altogether better known, and I'm a big fan, but I confine myself to reporting that he completed his Third Symphony on 17 May 1946 for his doctoral dissertation at the Eastman School of Music. Under the direction of Walter Hendl, the New York Philharmonic played the symphony's première in February 1947. Make sure you're seated, and try to imagine, in our day, a graduate's doctoral dissertation going to a public performance by a major US orchestra in nine months.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Jacques Ibert: Diane de Poitiers & La Licorne.
Moscow Symphony Orchestra, Adriano.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

brewski

Live from the National Opera Center in New York, loadbang, a quartet made from the unlikely mix of baritone, trumpet, bass clarinet, and trombone (surprisingly effective). The stream will likely be up for awhile after the broadcast.

Works by Pulitzer Prize winner Raven Chacon, Sky Macklay, Heather Stebbins, Jon Yu, Qi Li, Christina Lord, and Arshia Samsaminia.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Symphonic Addict

Tansman: String Quartets 6 and 7
Myaskovsky: Symphonies 11 and 12

These string quartets have been major finds.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mapman

Weinberg: Symphony #3
Gražinytė-Tyla: CBSO

I finally started listening to this disc. It's great! The first movement reminds me of Shostakovich, especially the 3rd movement of Symphony #5. The 2nd movement reminds me of Lutosławski's Mała Suita, which makes sense as the booklet notes mention that it uses Polish folk music. The opening section of the 3rd movement is beautiful.

(Also, I think I figured out one reason some images don't appear for some users. The Enhanced Tracking Protection in Firefox blocks eBay images. If I disable it, those images will appear.)