What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Karl Henning

CD 5

8 Moments Musicaux, Op. 16
9 Morceaux de fantaisie, Op. 3
Fragments (1917)
Prélude, op. posth.
Здесъ хорошо (How fair this spot) [literally, it's good here] Op. 21 № 7 (transc. anon.)
Vocalise, Op. 34 № 14 (transc. Zoltán Kocsis)

Vladimir Ashkenazy

A mighty sweet disc!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

In discussing tuning-systems with Luke Ottevanger, I brought up Easley Blackwood: the scores are included!!!

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vers la flamme

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Piano Concerto No.17 in G major, K 453. Murray Perahia, English Chamber Orchestra

Veeery slowly making my way through this set which I got back in December, I think. It's my first and only set of the complete Mozart piano concertos and so far, I'm extremely satisfied with my choice. Perahia plays beautifully and the ECO for whatever reason have an uncanny knack for just nailing Mozart every time. I don't know what took me so long to get a full set of the Mozart piano concertos. Better late than never.

vers la flamme

Sergei Rachmaninov: Francesca da Rimini, op.25. Gianandrea Noseda, BBC Philharmonic, BBC Singers

This was a library find from about a year back that I picked up knowing nothing about it. Glad I did, it's excellent.

Madiel

Quote from: Cato on March 12, 2023, 05:45:25 PMIn discussing tuning-systems with Luke Ottevanger, I brought up Easley Blackwood: the scores are included!!!

It seems inevitable that my brain will just interpret this as 12 notes with some of them out of tune.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Symphonic Addict

Taneyev: Piano Quintet
Nielsen: Wind Quintet

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

foxandpeng

Quote from: DavidW on March 12, 2023, 03:01:38 PMI'm trying to listen to more Tubin, so I think I'll follow your example and listen to that 10th.

I joined the listening last night. Tubin is one if my favourite symphonists, so he is always a delight.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

foxandpeng

Christopher Gunning
Symphony No.3
Oboe Concerto
Symphony No.4
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
Christopher Gunning
Chandos

Morning all. Continuing with Gunning this morning, appropriately enough, with two symphonies written when he and his wife were diagnosed with some significant health issues (3), and then with some relief and relative recovery (4). Several reviewers speak extremely warmly of the works, but with the caveat that best results come from repeat listens. Even after only a couple of traversals, I agree. Noticing more and more with each play... obviously.

Nice start to the day.

Again, no cover art due to internet stuff.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Tsaraslondon

More from Dame Janet Baker. This time from her recordings for Philips. This is an invaluable release for incuding items that were omitted from the 5 disc set of Philips & Decca Recordings, issued in 2003. Most valuable of all are probably the arias for Sesto from La Clemenza di Tito, which I have never heard sung with such emotional variety and yet with such masterly technical ease. The triplet figures at the end have to be heard to be believed. The transfers are absolutely superb and the disc comes with full notes, texts and translations. We get the whole of her Beethoven/Schubert recital and the Mozart items from the Mozart/Haydn disc. As the Haydn items are in the Philips box set, this neatly complements that set. I don't think Pentatone are producing physical discs anymore, but various different downloads are available on their site.

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

foxandpeng

Christopher GUNNING (b. 1944)
Symphony No. 2
Symphony No. 10
Symphony No. 12
BBC National Orchestra of Wales
Kenneth Woods
SIGNUM

Nothing but good things to say. Vacuous and amateurish, you may think me, but I stand with the prevailing critical opinion of these lovely works. Comparisons with Sibelius, Alwyn and others aren't always immediately obvious to me despite several reviewers leading that connection, but I kind of get it.

Gunning is a worthwhile voice. I really look forward to the release of the rest of his symphonies.

In the meantime, the whole run will get better on repeat!

No cover art. Bad internet.

Tolstoy

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

Finishing Ancerl's Mahler 9th from last night.

Olivier

Roasted Swan

Quote from: absolutelybaching on March 12, 2023, 11:38:32 AMComposer : Ralph Vaughan Williams
Recording : On Wenlock Edge (Partridge - 1996)
Performers : Music Group of London, Ian Partridge (tenor)

I had to look to check: not Peter Pears. Sounded like it. Not 1940s Decca mono sound. Sounded like it. I honestly thought it was my 78s of Pears doing it, and if that's what 1996 stereo sound sounds like, I'll remain distinctly unimpressed.

Perhaps check your meta-data for this - the original LP was released in 1971 and apart from a bit of analogue hiss the sound is still very good - classic EMI/Christopher Bishop/Neville Boyling production and Ian Partridge sounds very different from any version of Pears I have ever heard especially here.....  One of THE classic Wenlock Edge recordings

foxandpeng

Hans Werne Henze
Symphony 8
Gurzenich Orchester Köln
Marcus Stenz
Spotify

Brilliant. Love it. Can't compare recordings until later, but Henze 8 is great. Nice shift of density, pace and style after a couple of days with Gunning.

Cover. Internet. Broken.

Tolstoy

Harry

Christopher Cunning.
Symphony No. 1.
Concerto for Piano and Orchestra, "Storm".
Olga Dudnik, Piano, Slovak RSO, Christopher Gunning.

My first experience with this composer.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

JBS

Joining the Gunning-curious via Youtube

Christopher Gunning
Symphony No 10
Colorado Mahlerfest Orchestra
Kenneth Woods conductor

Overall impression: meh
Episodic, no overall structure I could perceive, felt like it was a film score in search of a film.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Cato

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 12, 2023, 07:13:20 PM

Sergei Rachmaninov: Francesca da Rimini, op.25. Gianandrea Noseda, BBC Philharmonic, BBC Singers

This was a library find from about a year back that I picked up knowing nothing about it. Glad I did, it's excellent.

If you liked this opera, then check The Covetous/Miserly Knight: it is also a most excellent work!

I heard it via an old Melodiya recording with Boris Dobrin in the title role (the opera was composed with Fyodor Chaliapin in mind), and Gennady Rozhdestvensky conducting.  I am surprised that it is hard to find: YouTube brought up nothing.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Traverso

Lisztianwagner

Johann Strauss II
Geschichten aus dem Wienerwald
Annen-Polka
Auf der jagd

Richard Strauss
Also sprach Zarathustra

Herbert von Karajan & Wiener Philharmoniker

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg

Brahmsian

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on March 13, 2023, 05:03:15 AMJohann Strauss II
Geschichten aus dem Wienerwald
Annen-Polka
Auf der jagd

Richard Strauss
Also sprach Zarathustra

Herbert von Karajan & Wiener Philharmoniker

It looks like Karajan is playing an invisible violin!  :D

Lisztianwagner

"You cannot expect the Form before the Idea, for they will come into being together." - Arnold Schönberg