What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 23, 2023, 02:39:27 AMSo far so good for me too, Danny. I'll go back to them again, for sure.

TD: Some JSB organ music by Isoir (CD13) for some change of scenery.

I have not listened to any Organ Works by JS Bach in the last week or so. I swapped it out for some Organ Works by Buxtehude. It was also very good.

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on March 23, 2023, 02:58:10 AM;D  ;D

Wonderful! Do your soul some good  :)

In a roundabout way, yes  ;D
Olivier

Lisztianwagner

Alfredo Casella
Symphonic Fragments from "Le couvent sur l'eau"

Gianandrea Noseda & BBC Philharmonic

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on March 23, 2023, 03:02:18 AMI have not listened to any Organ Works by JS Bach in the last week or so. I swapped it out for some Organ Works by Buxtehude. It was also very good.

Slowly chipping away at Isoir, only 3 Cd's worth to go through. That set is top notch.

I should dive again into that Buxtehude Saorgin set once I finish Isoir. Only did one traversal long way back.
Olivier

Mandryka

Is this an interesting performance of op 58? I couldn't decide when it first came out and I can't decide now.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 23, 2023, 02:29:52 AMI'm a big fan of all of these Hanson symphonies. I don't have to listen closely to be able to enjoy them. Just a relaxing listen 🙂
Me too Danny (and Olivier) - I enjoy them all. Koussevitsky's performance of No.3 is terrific. More recently I've been enjoying No.5 'Sacra'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Absolutely terrific, life-affirming CD!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Madiel

Haydn symphony randomiser: No.62 in D major

Most interesting. One of the last symphonies for the Esterhazy family (a number in the 70s would probably be more accurate and there's evidence it was done at the same time as no.74), and the only symphony where all the movements are in the same key.

The first movement, based on a previous overture, has everything I'd want in a Haydn first movement. It's the second movement that's really curious, both "wrongly" in the same key and also an Allegretto rather than a slower tempo. Then the menuet is pretty straightforward (deliberately so? no adventurous harmonies?), before the finale... starts off-tonic! For half a dozen bars Haydn says "we've all add enough D major right?". The finale also turns out to be a bit more on the serious side.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Bloch: Evocations. New Zealand Symphony Orchestra/James Sedares.

Traverso

Kaiser Maximilian I.

Geistliche Musik  für den Kaiser

CD 1

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 23, 2023, 01:24:19 AMGood morning all,

Saw his name mentioned in the Hovhaness thread as one of the greatest American symphonists, thought I'd give him a go:

Howard Hanson - Symphony No.6

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 23, 2023, 02:29:52 AMI'm a big fan of all of these Hanson symphonies. I don't have to listen closely to be able to enjoy them. Just a relaxing listen 🙂

Quote from: vandermolen on March 23, 2023, 03:31:36 AMMe too Danny (and Olivier) - I enjoy them all. Koussevitsky's performance of No.3 is terrific. More recently I've been enjoying No.5 'Sacra'.

Gents and @Karl Henning , just in case, an article written by Gerard Schwarz on USA composers is below. You may already know.

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/features/article/forgotten-symphonies-the-hidden-giants-of-american-music

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Traverso on March 23, 2023, 04:55:32 AMKaiser Maximilian I.

Geistliche Musik  für den Kaiser

CD 1

Hapsburg is my favorite monarchy!!

Papy Oli

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on March 23, 2023, 04:56:08 AMGents and @Karl Henning , just in case, an article written by Gerard Schwarz on USA composers are below. You may already know.

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/features/article/forgotten-symphonies-the-hidden-giants-of-american-music

Thank you for the link, Manabu.
Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on March 23, 2023, 04:56:08 AMGents and @Karl Henning , just in case, an article written by Gerard Schwarz on USA composers are below. You may already know.

Great article. I'd seen it before but nice to be reminded of it.

Papy Oli

Playing Vasks' Oboe Concerto again.

Olivier

Spotted Horses

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 22, 2023, 03:42:55 PMI've spent an inordinate amount of time with the Peter Maxwell Davies symphonies. I hated every single one of them at first 😁. Not any more. I can't begin to understand what his structures are, but the unpredictability and seeming chaos of the seascapes in particular, are great. I often listen in the darkness and just let them do their thing.

Fascinated to hear what you make of them.

Listened to the first movement of the 6th symphony. Baffled. That is normal. :)
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on March 23, 2023, 04:56:08 AMGents and @Karl Henning , just in case, an article written by Gerard Schwarz on USA composers is below. You may already know.

Worth remembering that at the moment nearly all of the Schwarz/Seattle recordings were reissued on Naxos and therefore can be bought as lossless downloads via the Chandos store currently for £2.30 each - tremendous value and a great way to discover this repertoire.....

DavidW

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 23, 2023, 01:24:19 AMGood morning all,

Saw his name mentioned in the Hovhaness thread as one of the greatest American symphonists, thought I'd give him a go:

Howard Hanson - Symphony No.6

This was my introduction to Hanson:

It has been awhile.

Que

foxandpeng

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on March 23, 2023, 04:56:08 AMGents and @Karl Henning , just in case, an article written by Gerard Schwarz on USA composers is below. You may already know.

Thank a lot for this. Reading with interest.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy