What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Handel Organ Concertos.  I love the sound of this organ... so much that I looked it up to see if I can find more recordings that employ it.  It is a Rieger organ and is found in the Vienna Golden Hall.  Anyway here is the recording, which is phenomenal:

Mandryka

Listening to Bartok violin sonata 1 and trying to hear if there's anything connecting it to Schoenberg op 11.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Papy Oli

John Luther Adams - Become River

Olivier

Harry

CPE Bach.
Sonatas for Clavichord.
Sechs sonates fürs Clavier mit veränderten reprisen.
Dedicated to the Princess Amalia von Prussia.
Linda Nicholson, Clavicord.
Instrument: Johann Adolph Hass, Hamburg 1667.
Pitch a'= 415 Hz.
Recorded 1988, in the Forde Abbey (Dorset), Great Hall.

I hold this recording in great esteem. First the fabulous technique displayed by Linda Nicholson, and secondly the fine original instrument she is using. It is extremely difficult to record such an instrument, especially if it is so low tuned. Still I love the sonority, and the dark hued tones, it is emitting from its belly. Tempi are just fine, and Nicholson's enthusiasm which is highlighting every note makes it a pleasure to hear these works.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 18, 2023, 06:36:35 AMA first listen to another John Adams work: Harmonielehre

A fine performance - another example that what Simon Rattle does well, he does VERY well!

Linz

Mozart The Piano Concertos, Alfred Brendel the last CD,  Concerto No.26 in D, K537 and Concerto No.27 in B flat, K595, Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields, Neville Marriner

71 dB

Schubert - Duo Sonata in A major, Op. 162, D.574
Adele Anthony, Violin
Jonathan Feldman, Piano
Naxos 8.554148
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

brewski

Shara Nova: Titration (The Crossing / Donald Nally, conductor) - Hard to believe that this is the 30th recording by this expert choir, now one of the best on the planet. The composer, usually known for her work in the the pop world as My Brightest Diamond, also has many classically-oriented projects under her belt, and this one is quite attractive. She combines traditional choral techniques with unusual sound effects and bits of speech.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Lisztianwagner

Alfred Schnittke
Concerto for piano and strings

Igor Khudolei (piano)
Valery Polyansky & Russian State Symphony Orchestra

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Linz

Miaskovsky Symphony No.10 in F minor Op.30, Symphony No.11 in B flat minor Op.34 and Symphony No.19 in E flat major Op.46, Evgeny Svetlanov, Russian State Symphony Orchestra

Lisztianwagner

Arnold Schönberg
Gurre-Lieder

Edward Gardner & Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

classicalgeek

Yesterday:

Igor Markevitch
Le Nouvel Age
Sinfonietta in F
Cinema-Overture
Arnhem Philharmonic Orchestra
Christopher Lyndon-Gee

(on Spotify)

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

foxandpeng

Alexander Glazunov
Orchestral Works Volume 6
Carnival
Spring
Concert Waltzes
Salome
Moscow SO
Igor Golovschin
Naxos
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Brian

foxandpeng, I was upset this morning - tried streaming the Finnish album from that Glazunov series and Qobuz only played 30 second samples  :(

Any top favorites so far from the series, excluding the symphonies?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: brewski on April 18, 2023, 09:28:40 AMShara Nova: Titration (The Crossing / Donald Nally, conductor) - Hard to believe that this is the 30th recording by this expert choir, now one of the best on the planet. The composer, usually known for her work in the the pop world as My Brightest Diamond, also has many classically-oriented projects under her belt, and this one is quite attractive. She combines traditional choral techniques with unusual sound effects and bits of speech.

-Bruce
Sounds interesting!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: Løvfald on April 17, 2023, 03:35:28 PMNot masterpieces by any means, but they're nice and relaxing.

I'm a huge fan of Ross Edwards' Piano Concerto:

foxandpeng

Quote from: Brian on April 18, 2023, 02:54:06 PMfoxandpeng, I was upset this morning - tried streaming the Finnish album from that Glazunov series and Qobuz only played 30 second samples  :(

Any top favorites so far from the series, excluding the symphonies?

What a shame ☹️. All of my listening is via Spotify, which is broadly pretty good. Might be worth a go.

Possibly Volume 2 or 4? I think both are excellent, as much as for their content as the performances/recordings.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Linz

Bruckner Symphony No. 4 in E Flat Major, 1878/80 Version (1880 with Bruckner's 1886 revisions) - Ed. Leopold Nowak [1953], Martin Sieghart, Bruckner Orchester Linz

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on April 18, 2023, 03:36:33 PMI'm a huge fan of Ross Edwards' Piano Concerto:

Work I don't know yet. I'll investigate. Thanks.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vers la flamme

George Frideric Handel: Messiah, HWV 56. Andrew Parrott, Taverner Choir & Players

Excellent performance of a work that I really love.