What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

classicalgeek

Finding myself with time to listen while I'm working!

Martinu: Cello Concerto no. 1
Hindemith: Cello Concerto
Honegger: Cello Concerto
Johannes Moser, cello
Deutsche Radio Philharmonie
Christoph Poppen

(on Spotify)

Respighi
Fountains of Rome
Pines of Rome
Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra
Antal Dorati

(on Spotify)

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Brian

Quote from: Brian on April 21, 2023, 07:48:41 AMI am dipping back into the "Ancerl Live" box for my first-ever listen to Josef Suk's "Ripening."

Continuing on to Foerster's "Easter Eve" Symphony, predictably with much more energy than the Naxos recording (though the organ struggles to be heard in the mono sound). This was Ancerl's only ever performance of the piece. Next I'll put on two more true rarities: Hindemith's "Philharmonic Concerto" and Jiri Pauer's "Rhapsody for Orchestra." Both part of First Listen Friday!

Lisztianwagner

Béla Bartók
Concerto for Orchestra

Herbert von Karajan & Berliner Philharmoniker

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Cato

Quote from: Cato on April 21, 2023, 11:09:00 AMEarlier I wrote about composers (Milhaud) whose works faded, but then made a comeback.

A great composer whose works should never have faded away...

Vyacheslav Ovchinnikov

Symphony #1:

Upon closer inspection of this YouTube video, I noticed that the cover of the score shown has in Russian "Festival."

Ovchinnikov did compose a work called "Festival," a tone-poem.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Sarkis Barkhudarian Piano Works - Mikael Ayrapetyan. Nice compositions while the piano performance is mediocre. Hope somebody will record these works in the near future.

Linz

C. P. E. Bach The Complete Wroks for Piano Solo, Ana-Marija Markovina Vol. 4

vandermolen

Vaughan Williams: 49th Parallel, complete film score.
This arrived super-fast from Dutton and it is great - classic VW and beautifully performed and recorded.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: ritter on April 21, 2023, 08:50:57 AMI already knew Milhaud's Sixth Symphony from 1955 (it's probably the most recorded of the twelve), and very much enjoy it (particularly the calme et tendre first movement). I do not recall having listened to the Fifth (from 1953) before, and didn't care for it much, I must say. It seemed less inspired, and overlong. Will have to listen to it more attentively again sometime.

Good day to you, Karl.
Long ago I tried the complete set, and overall I wanted to like the Milhaud symphonies better than I found I did. I know he was possessed of a formidable musical mind. I think I may have a "singleton" recording of the Sixth, which I should revisit.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: ritter on April 21, 2023, 06:05:27 AMMuch as we may love Haydn, three discs of his baryton trios a day for a full week are a sure recipe to send anyone to the insane asylum...  ::)
I had purchased a LP of some of his baryton trios awhile ago.  Thankfully, it was warped and I was able to return it.   :-X

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on April 21, 2023, 01:01:27 PMVaughan Williams: 49th Parallel, complete film score.
This arrived super-fast from Dutton and it is great - classic VW and beautifully performed and recorded.

How long is the complete disc?  Is the music substantively "better"/different than the 39 minutes odd on the Chandos disc?

Karl Henning

Quote from: ritter on April 21, 2023, 06:05:27 AMMuch as we may love Haydn, three discs of his baryton trios a day for a full week are a sure recipe to send anyone to the insane asylum...  ::)
All baryton and no ondes martenot makes Jack a dull boy.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 21, 2023, 01:14:04 PMHow long is the complete disc?  Is the music substantively "better"/different than the 39 minutes odd on the Chandos disc?
81:01 minutes (180 pages of full score)
It's a while since I listened to the Chandos CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

VonStupp

Quote from: Bachtoven on April 19, 2023, 05:37:46 PM

I remember really liking Matsuev playing Liszt's Sonata in b minor.
VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Linz

Miaskovsky Vol.4 Symphony No.7 in B minor Op.24 and Symphony No.8 in A major Op.26,  Evgeny Svetlanov, Russian State Symphony Orchestra

VonStupp

Ludomir Różycki (1883-1953)
String Quartet in d minor, op. 49

Karol Szymanowski
String Quartet 1 in C Major, op. 37
String Quartet 2, op. 56

Royal String Quartet

Szymanowski's SQ's sound experimental to me, at least compared to what I have heard of his orchestral, vocal, and concertante selections so far.

On the other hand, Różycki sounds conservative in comparison. Beautiful music, though.
VS

vandermolen

Quote from: VonStupp on April 21, 2023, 02:52:21 PMLudomir Różycki (1883-1953)
String Quartet in d minor, op. 49

Karol Szymanowski
String Quartet 1 in C Major, op. 37
String Quartet 2, op. 56

Royal String Quartet

Szymanowski's SQ's sound experimental to me, at least compared to what I have heard of his orchestral, vocal, and concertante selections so far.

On the other hand, Różycki sounds conservative in comparison. Beautiful music, though.
VS

Extraordinary cover art.

VonStupp

Quote from: vandermolen on April 21, 2023, 02:57:10 PMExtraordinary cover art.

It certainly caught my eye, particularly for Hyperion.

It is called From a Tale by Karol Homolacs.
VS

Lisztianwagner

Edvard Grieg
'In Autumn' Concert Overture
Old Norwegian Melody with Variations

Eivind Aadland & WDR Sinfonieorchester Koln

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on April 21, 2023, 12:25:10 PMBéla Bartók
Concerto for Orchestra

Herbert von Karajan & Berliner Philharmoniker

One of the great ones, especially the manic finale. Fricsay's DG recording is another outstanding one.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

classicalgeek

Finishing up the work week with this:

Nielsen
Symphony no. 5
Danish National Symphony Orchestra
Fabio Luisi

(on Spotify)

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan