What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Franco_Manitobain

Quote from: Bachtoven on April 27, 2023, 03:33:58 PMThe Piano Quintet. This set is indispensable for those who like muscular, large-scale (for the most part) Romantic chamber music. Intense playing--pretty good sound.

Indeed. It is a marvelous set!

foxandpeng

Miecsyzlaw Weinberg
Symphony 17 'Memory'
Vladimir Fedoseyev
Weiner Symphoniker
Neos

First play at one of the symphonies by Weinberg recommended to me as being weighty and thought provoking.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Karl Henning

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 27, 2023, 04:42:22 PMMiecsyzlaw Weinberg
Symphony 17 'Memory'
Vladimir Fedoseyev
Weiner Symphoniker
Neos

First play at one of the symphonies by Weinberg recommended to me as being weighty and thought provoking.
Not sure I've heard that 'un.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

classicalgeek

Gavriil Popov
Symphony no. 1
Moscow State Symphony Orchestra
Gennady Provatorov

(on Spotify)

Intense and hair-raising music!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: classicalgeek on April 27, 2023, 05:33:13 PMGavriil Popov
Symphony no. 1
Moscow State Symphony Orchestra
Gennady Provatorov

(on Spotify)

Intense and hair-raising music!

Uncanny! I just was listening to his epic String Quartet. Yes, that symphony is a thrill ride!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mapman

Taktakishvili: Piano Concerto #1
Jungran Kim Khwarg, Dong Hyock Hyun, Moscow Philhamonic

This is a fun piece, full of melodies. The main influence seems to be Rachmaninoff, but the orchestration is less lush. Taktakishvili seems to understand the beauty in simplicity. The concerto is surprisingly Romantic, and not very Modern.

Bachtoven

Driver does a great job playing these extremely demanding works.

Que

Morning listening on Spotify. Hat tip Mandryka:)

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Browsing on Spotify through some Zipoli on organ:

Marco Brescia (historical organ) and Simone Stella leave the strongest impressions. The recording by Stella seems recent, but could be some reissue and seems available only streaming and as download. The organ he uses is not specified, but sounds like one of the new (German-style) reconstructions he uses more often. Which is not necessarily a plus...

I dismissed the recording on Brilliant by Carlo Guandalino long time ago. Vartolo (Tactus) I tried against my better judgement, and turned it off after a bit...

Harry

Quote from: Que on April 28, 2023, 12:58:58 AMBrowsing on Spotify through some Zipoli on organ:

Marco Bresia (historical organ) and Simone Stella leave the strongest impressions. The recording by Stella seems recent, but could be some reissue and seems available only streaming and as download. The organ he uses is not specified, but sounds like one the new (German-style) reconstructions he uses more often. Which is not necessarily a plus...

I dismissed the recording on Brilliant by Carlo Guandalino long time ago. Vartolo (Tactus) I tried against my better judgement, and turned it off after a bit...

Same with me!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Lisztianwagner

Maurice Ravel
Sonatine
Le tombeau de Couperin

Pianist: Jean-Yves Thibaudet

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Harry

Heinrich Schütz.
Symphoniae Sacrae II (Part XXIII-XXVII)/Weihnachtshistorie.
Cappella Augustana, Matteo Messori, Organ & Direction.
CD V. TT=66:01. Recorded in 2003.

An amazing journey which will go on for about 14 CD'S, and I am very much looking forward to it, on the basis of 5 CD'S already listen too. What a treasure Brilliant created, and mostly unknown to most. But it is still to be had.....

Traverso

Quote from: Harry on April 28, 2023, 02:18:58 AMHeinrich Schütz.
Symphoniae Sacrae II (Part XXIII-XXVII)/Weihnachtshistiorie.
Cappella Augustana, Matteo Messori, Organ & Direction.
CD V. TT=66:01. Recorded in 2003.

An amazing journey which will go on for about 14 CD'S, and I am very much looking forward to it, on the basis of 5 CD'S already listen too. What a treasure Brilliant created, and mostly unknown to most. But it is still to be had.....

I follow your footsteps,I'm waiting for the complete set.At the moment I have only vol.1 (5 CD's)

Harry

Quote from: Traverso on April 28, 2023, 02:27:12 AMI follow your footsteps,I'm waiting for the complete set.At the moment I have only vol.1 (5 CD's)

A very good decision, congrats! If you like the first 5 CD'S disappointment is impossible! :)  :)  :)

Traverso

Quote from: Harry on April 28, 2023, 02:35:04 AMA very good decision, congrats! If you like the first 5 CD'S disappointment is impossible! :)  :)  :)

I found one still sealed for a friendly price.Yesterday I listened to "Der Schwanengesang"( Heinz Hennig)  and to be honest I found it rather tiring to listen to it in its entirety. It seems that's not included in the Brilliant Edition.

Harry

Johann Sebastian Bach.
Complete Organ Works.
Volume VI.
CD I & II.
BWV: 564/587/593/589/719/1090-1120/714/742/957/536/1027a/572.
Bram Beekman Organ.
A.F.G. Heyneman organ, 1787, St. Jan Cathedral  s'-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands.
Pitch= a' 415 Hz. Temperament: Equal.
Recorded in 1993. TT= 155:22.

Although the organ is late Rococo with early classicistic elements, it has nevertheless a very refined sound, sweet even, and somehow many of Bach's organ works sound quite marvelous. Its easy on the ear, and adds warmth to the proceedings which is not unwelcome. I really like this instrument. Be prepare for the long reverb, which is considerable. Due to this one can not play too fast on this organ. Detail is intact, when keeping to a moderate tempo, which Beekman does. A good and solid performance.

Harry

Quote from: Traverso on April 28, 2023, 03:46:37 AMI found one still sealed for a friendly price.Yesterday I listened to "Der Schwanengesang"( Heinz Hennig)  and to be honest I found it rather tiring to listen to it in its entirety. It seems that's not included in the Brilliant Edition.

I agree with you about the Heinz Henning recording. And you are also right that the Schwanengesang in not included in the Brilliant edition.

Que

JBS

Quote from: Traverso on April 28, 2023, 03:46:37 AMI found one still sealed for a friendly price.Yesterday I listened to "Der Schwanengesang"( Heinz Hennig)  and to be honest I found it rather tiring to listen to it in its entirety. It seems that's not included in the Brilliant Edition.

May I suggest...

Although the pricing implies it's OOP.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk