What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vers la flamme

Hector Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique, op.14. Charles Munch, Boston Symphony Orchestra

First listen to this particular performance. So far so good. T his is a piece of music and a composer that I've always had way more trouble appreciating than I expected from the outset.

Bachtoven

He's a superb player, plays a great program, and is well recorded.

SimonNZ

Keemun

Bruckner: Symphony No. 6 (Klemperer/New Philharmonia Orchestra)

Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

JBS

There are a whole bunch of CDs I bought when I was first getting into buying CDs but have not listened to in the last 10-20 year. So I've lugged some of them ought of the corner they've been sitting in and started including them in my current listening. This is one of them.
(Volumes 1 and 2 of this series already have received their due.)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mapman

Quote from: Daverz on May 11, 2023, 03:55:36 PM

The composer's dates are 1862-1941, so you might expect something close to Richard Strauss, and you wouldn't be too far off.

That's a great disk. I just listened to Cyrano de Bergerac. I've always liked De Getemde Feeks, which (as you point out) is very similar in style to Strauss' Don Juan. (Cyrano is also similar.)

Harry

Heinrich Schütz.
Passions, Resurrection History;
CD I & II.
CD I-Historia der Auferstehung Jesu Christi, opus 3, SWV 50. Gerd Türk Evangelist.
CD II-Matthäuspassion, SWV 479. Gerd Türk, Evangelist, Bas Ramselaar, Jesus.
Dialogo per la Pascua, Weib was weinest du, SWV 443.
Cappella Augustana, Matteo Messori.
Il Sonar Parlante- Concerto di Viole.

Gorgeously done. Excellent singers and instrumentalists. This series is a treasure trove. Not a weak spot in the performances, and well recorded. Schütz in top form.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

What a coincidence, Harry;)

Morning listening on Spotify:

Harry

Quote from: Que on May 11, 2023, 11:30:46 PMWhat a coincidence, Harry;)

Morning listening on Spotify:

I am happy to see that you are dipping in this series too! I never expected to like all what I hear, so much.  Listening through all what is on the market, I still find the Brilliant recordings the best of them all. Keep the good work going...there are 19 CD'S in the complete set. :)

Harry

Robert Schumann.
Complete solo Piano works.
CD XII.
Second Editions of Early works I.
Davidsbündlertänze, opus 6.
Kreisleriana, opus 16.
Florian Uhlig, Piano.

One thing must be said about the recordings so far, Tony Faulkner did a supreme job. He captured the Steinway so excellently, and it sounds so natural and open as if it would be in the midst on my listening room. It feels like I could touch it.
I know I keep repeating myself in the quality of the performances but what one must do if it is so? The Davidsbündlertänze gets a poetical and beautiful narrative, sparkling with brilliancy, and a thorough explanation of content in perspective.
As I admire the Kreisleriana in whichever form, melancholy is the key emotion that befalls me, and at the same time a strange elation in the quicker movements. This is because Uhlig is carefully going in and out of the emotional content, with a flow and urgency that grips one, and holds one in an turmoil of conflicting messages throughout this work.

Florestan

Rossini - Il Signor Bruschino

Alessandro Corbelli - Caudenzio
Amelia Felle - Sofia
Alberto Rinaldi - Bruschino (father)
Vito Gobbi - Bruschino (son)
David Kuebler - Florville
Giuseppe Maria Foppa - libretto
Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra
Gianluigi Gelmetti - conductor
Michael Hampe - Stage Director

Schwetzinger Festspiele 1989

Decidedly, the Schwetzingen productions are greatly to my taste. Everything is just as it should be. And I fell in love with Alessandro Corbelli's voice and acting, both very strong in all productions I've watched. Alberto Rinaldi, too, is an excellent Bruschino Sr, bemused, befuddled and humiliated most of the time save in the final scene when he triumphantly and jubilantly turns the tables on Gaudenzio. As usual, highly recommended.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Harry

Joseph Haydn.
Complete Symphonies.
CD 19.
No. 45, "Farewell" in F sharp minor, & No.46 in B major.
Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood.

What a blast the first movement of the Farewell Symphony is, and the Adagio afterwards. Haydn has always, in every symphony, a musical surprise up his sleeve, and that never ceases to amaze me. There is really no bad work among his large corpus of orchestral music. He was truly one of the very great composers of his time, and his message has survived the many years after him. Hogwood as always delivers pristine performances, and it is well recorded.

Florestan

Quote from: Harry on May 12, 2023, 01:48:05 AMHaydn has always, in every symphony, a musical surprise up his sleeve, and that never ceases to amaze me. There is really no bad work among his large corpus of orchestral music. He was truly one of the very great composers of his time

I dare say that when it comes to symphonies he was THE greatest composer of his time.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

foxandpeng

Peteris Vasks
Distant Light VC
Lonely Angel
Plainscapes
Stift Festival Orchestra

Painfully beautiful.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Harry

Heinrich Schütz.
Volume III.
Passions.
Resurrection History.
Lukaspassion, SWV 480.
Dialogus "Es Gingen zweene Menschen Hinauf, SWV 444.
Gerd Türk, Evangelist.
Bas Ramselaar, Jesus.
Cappella Augustana, Matteo Messori, Organ and Direction.

Heartfelt performances, well sung, and meticulously prepared. I like the Passions by Schütz very much. Diction and presentation of all of them is overwhelmingly brought out.

Mandryka

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Lisztianwagner

Sergei Rachmaninov
Piano Concerto No. 2

Vladimir Ashkenazy (piano)
Bernard Haitink & Concertgebouw Orchestra

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Harry

Robert Schumann.
CD; XIII.
Character Pieces II.
Papillion, aus Albumblätter, opus 124.
Vier Märsche, opus 76.
Geschwindmarsch, opus 99.
Präludium, opus 99.
Waldszenen, opus 82.
Drei Fantasiestücke, opus 111.
Gesänge der Frühe, opus 133.
Florian Uhlig, Piano.

All is said, only listening remains.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Harry on May 12, 2023, 03:56:25 AMRobert Schumann.
CD; XIII.
Character Pieces II.
Papillion, aus Albumblätter, opus 124.
Vier Märsche, opus 76.
Geschwindmarsch, opus 99.
Präludium, opus 99.
Waldszenen, opus 82.
Drei Fantasiestücke, opus 111.
Gesänge der Frühe, opus 133.
Florian Uhlig, Piano.

All is said, only listening remains.

The set is 19 CDs?!  :o
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington