Concerto for 3 violins in F major, TWV 53:F1
Trio Sonata in E minor, TWV 42:e2
Musica Amphion
Pieter-Jan Belder

(on Spotify)

So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Maria Yudina: Live at Kiev Philharmonic Hall.

VonStupp

Frederick Delius
Appalachia: Variations on an Old Slave Song
The Song of the High Hills
BBC SO & Chorus - Andrew Davis

I was very taken with this recording program.

Appalachia is almost a slice-of-life experience, fully satisfying as symphonic variations. I knew the work had me when Delius overlaps the main Americana theme with the opening horn evocation that I love so much. As I mentioned recently with the Mass of Life, Delius works better for me with structural goalposts instead of long-form rambling, and variation form seems to work well.

The little bit of choral singing toward the end of High Hills was almost too present, instead of what I am guessing should have been more of an orchestral voice. I think it might have been more effective sounding-out distantly and mysteriously. Beautiful, though.

VS

"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

vers la flamme

vers la flamme

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 31, 2023, 03:08:44 PMGustav Mahler: Symphony No.6 in A minor. Herbert von Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic

Finished. I enjoy the 6th more with every listen, lately. Great symphony.

Now playing, a first listen:

Wilhelm Furtwängler: Symphony No.1 in B minor. Fawzi Haimor, Württembergische Philharmonie Reutlingen

Sounds good, better than I expected, though I somehow question whether it will sustain my interest for one hour and twenty eight minutes. I don't think I'll listen to it all today.

Symphonic Addict

Ghedini is the composer from Generazione dell'ottanta (Respighi, Casella, Malipiero, Pizzetti, Alfano) with whom I'm less familiar with, and this excellent disc is a superb entry point to his work and style, which is rather unique and compelling as far as I am concerned. Impressive music.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mapman

Beethoven: Piano Sonata #10, Op. 14/2
Stephen Kovacevich

Keemun

Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 (Harnoncourt/Chamber Orchestra of Europe)

Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Symphonic Addict

Wow, what a cracking CD! Carl Vine is definitely to my ears the most outstanding Australian composer I've come across. These string quartets are imbued with such freshness, energy, rhythmic vitality, striking ideas. A terrific find!

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on May 31, 2023, 09:53:42 AMI don't know what got into me today, but I'm in the mood for nothing but unfamiliar music, especially contemporary or contemporaryish stuff with spiky harmonies and big, bold orchestrations.

Dialing it just a little back now to Hindemith - but my first ever listen to the Symphonia Serena:

How did you like it?
TD:
Ives Holidays Symphony via MTT's Keeping Score series. 
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

JBS

Tonight's program
The second CD of this doublet

And then Scimone/Rampal/Vivaldi (the six Opus 10 concertos plus two others, RV 427 in D and RV 438 in G)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

brewski

Mahler: Symphony No. 5 (Semyon Bychkov / WDR Sinfonieorchester, recorded live April 18 2004). Some especially great woodwind work here, among many delights.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

brewski

Ligeti: Poème Symphonique for 100 Metronomes
Ligeti: Six Bagatelles for Wind Quintet
Ligeti: Concert Românesc

NDR Youth Symphony Orchestra / Stefan Geiger, conductor, recorded live March 26, 2023 in Hamburg at the Elbphilharmonie.

Inspiring. If I were a young musician and part of this Ligeti tribute, I would recall it with pride for years. Still to come after intermission, Bartók Concerto for Orchestra.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)

Brian

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 31, 2023, 06:54:16 PMWow, what a cracking CD! Carl Vine is definitely to my ears the most outstanding Australian composer I've come across. These string quartets are imbued with such freshness, energy, rhythmic vitality, striking ideas. A terrific find!

Big fan of Carl Vine and his string quartets too!

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 31, 2023, 07:04:46 PMHow did you like it?
TD:
Ives Holidays Symphony via MTT's Keeping Score series.
I found it a strange piece! The first movement is very vintage Hindemith - loads of "his" trademark harmonies and pungence and tunefulness and big brass. The second movement is a paraphrase of a Beethoven wind march? Then the third has offstage violin solos, which I imagine must mean something, programmatically, though I was streaming and don't know what that significance was. The finale is one of those that starts with lots of hustle and bustle, gets soft and quiet, and then has a big loud 30-second coda. It was joyous as advertised though. I will try it again in a month or two.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 31, 2023, 03:01:11 PMWilliam Alwyn
Elizabeth Dances
The Innumerable Dance
Concerto for Oboe and Harp
Aphrodite in Aulis
The Magic Island
Festival Dance
David Lloyd Jones
RLPO
Naxos

Ah, this is really good. Prefer this to the symphonies, so far.
That's my favourite of the non-symphonic Naxos Alwyn releases Danny. 'Aphrodite in Aulis' is a particularly beautiful works and I greatly enjoy 'The Magic Island' and the 'Elizabethan Dances' but it's a lovely programme of Alwyn's works.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 31, 2023, 11:23:25 AMThe MDG 'English' booklet notes are 12 pages, and written (in translation) by Pierre Jaquier - he discusses the controversy regarding the son's attribution of the viol works to his father and the authorship of the transcriptions (more in an essay HERE); so, as to who wrote the viol pieces and who did the transcriptions is still not clear in my mind?  Dave :)

Thanks, that's interesting.

I know your penchant for completeness! If you want complete then you really must hear the Dévérité set. The booklet is annoyingly split into two on Qobuz, and even more annoyingly they don't seem to explain how they came to their conclusions about who wrote what. You'll see that even within a single suite, one piece may be for viol and attributed to Antoine, and another may be for harpsichord and attributed to Jean Baptiste. Very strange.

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/60/000106706.pdf

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/70/000106707.pdf

When it came out I reacted a bit negatively because I thought that Michèle Dévérité was too refined for the music. I still don't like it. That's taste, obviously, and my taste has been predetermined by the likes of Koopman and Leonhardt.  I expect that the interpretations on the Dévérité set are right at the cutting edge of understanding of the Forqueray performance style, and the performers in the ensemble are top tier.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

vandermolen

Arthur Butterworth: Symphony No.4
A windswept sibelian work (at one point it seems to quote from 'The Tempest' by Sibelius):

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on May 31, 2023, 10:37:50 PMWhat's it like Olivier?

I am not sure Jeffrey  ;D  It intrigued me for the first movement and then lost me completely. it might be nonsense but at times it was a bit like a dark John Adams...  but a bit err... flat...

the full album is on YT : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut68eBm-PN0&list=OLAK5uy_nlmxgTdP-dOcwv6Uc6Fp1yU5uEOESj5_c
Olivier