What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on May 31, 2023, 08:10:58 AMAllan Pettersson: Symphony No.6
'The long struggle towards the sunrise'

Wooooo... Pettersson 6!

I do find him compelling.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

classicalgeek

Quote from: BWV 1080 on June 01, 2023, 01:10:58 PMGreat new album of Takemitsu's music for guitar & orch, along with Twill by Twilight

I just finished listening on Spotify, and found it absolutely spellbinding! There's no one quite like Takemitsu. He's a master orchestrator too, using the most delicate and subtle effects to maximum effectiveness. I especially enjoyed Vers, l'arc-en-ciel, Palma - I thought the guitar and oboe d'amore made a lovely pair as solo instruments. It's been a while since I listened to Takemitsu, and I'm glad I did!
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

Cato

Quote from: classicalgeek on June 01, 2023, 01:12:04 PMFartein Valen
Pastorale
Sonetto di Michelangelo
Cantico di ringraziamento
Symphony no. 1
Stavanger Symphony Orchestra
Christian Eggen

(on Spotify)

Fartein Valen!!!

I discovered him in the mid-1980's when a reviewer wrote that he could not really review any of the symphonies, since he understood not a bit of what was happening with the music!  :o

So my brain said: "DUDE! YOU MUST GET THAT SET!"  It was the set conducted by Aldo Ceccato.

Yes, Valen is an all-around fave!

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

foxandpeng

William Alwyn
Symphonies 1 and 3
David Lloyd Jones
RLPO
Naxos

More nighttime Alwyn. Familiarity is beginning to help my appreciation.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

‎Vesselin Stoyanov: Grotesque Suite "Bay Ganyo". Varna Philharmonic Orchestra.

Symphonic Addict

The works that are not mentioned on the front cover were the most enjoyable: Scène Picaresque (Spanish Serenade) and Basque Serenade. Sheer loveliness.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mapman

Coleridge-Taylor: Ballade, Op. 33 and African Suite, Op. 35
Chineke! Orchestra

I purchased this after seeing the DSO perform Ballade. It's a great piece, somewhat similar in style to Dvořák's symphonic poems. The African Suite is a pleasant but unremarkable dance suite that doesn't sound African.

vers la flamme

Richard Wagner: Das Rheingold. Christoph von Dohnányi, Cleveland Orchestra

I really like this performance! Too bad the cycle was never completed, though I believe there is also a Walküre, which I should probably hear.

Symphonic Addict

Among the tens of CDs devoted to this Hyperion series, this has to be one of the most remarkable, chiefly for Alexander Dreyschock's substantial Piano Concerto in D minor. I'd say it doesn't lack anything to be considered a masterpiece.

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Pettersson: Symphony No.6 (again!)
Fortunately my wife is out otherwise this would never be tolerated  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Quote from: vers la flamme on June 01, 2023, 06:21:23 PM

Richard Wagner: Das Rheingold. Christoph von Dohnányi, Cleveland Orchestra

I really like this performance! Too bad the cycle was never completed, though I believe there is also a Walküre, which I should probably hear.

I also have  Die Walküre, if you are happy with Das Rheingold you will certainly not be disappointed. The impression I have is that the critics have judged these recordings badly with poor sales as a result. This is a pity because there are is much to enjoy.
I hope you will find a nice copy for a friendly price.

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on June 02, 2023, 12:46:24 AMPettersson: Symphony No.6 (again!)
Fortunately my wife is out otherwise this would never be tolerated  ;D

I experience a very similar reaction. The joy of headphones!

Tolstoy

Traverso

Iota

Debussy: La Mer

Time and tide waits for no man except perhaps for Celi. He certainly keeps both hanging around in this piece. As with so many Celi performances it's unlike any other, but you hear so much and often in such gloriously broad dimension. And the added electricity of live performance certainly doesn't detract from the magic.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Lisztianwagner

I have never listened to the complete opera Lulu, just the suite, so:
Alban Berg
Lulu

Pierre Boulez & Orchestre de l'Opéra de Paris

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Cato

Quote from: vandermolen on June 02, 2023, 12:46:24 AMPettersson: Symphony No.6 (again!)

Fortunately my wife is out otherwise this would never be tolerated ;D

Dude!   8)   You are in the club!   ;D

Cato

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on June 02, 2023, 04:43:23 AMI have never listened to the complete opera Lulu, just the suite, so:
Alban Berg
Lulu

Pierre Boulez & Orchestre de l'Opéra de Paris

That is a great recording! 

Spotted Horses

Bacewicz, String Quartet No 4, Silesian Quartet,

Another great work. In this case I'm getting the impression that the Silesian Quartet may have left something on the table. I think I will listen through the Lutoslawski Quartet's cycle on Naxos when I'm done with this cycle.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Traverso