What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Alek Hidell on September 23, 2019, 07:25:24 PM
From Anne-Sophie to Herr Hindemith - sorry, guys ... :D

Continuing this, and enjoying the second half of it more: the music more colorful and varied (or so I hear it).

For me, now:

Hindemith
Kammermusiken
Ensemble Modern

Always fresh!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: JBS on September 23, 2019, 07:32:27 PM
From the Naxos early music set

Firsr impression: Christie does a very good job.

Love Sweelinck.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Quote from: j winter on September 24, 2019, 06:01:59 AM
I haven't listened to much Beethoven recently, and I was debating taking an older Leipzig set (either Masur or Konwitschny) for a spin, but I ended up going for something more recent and grabbing Vanska instead. 

That's a pity. The Konwhisky Konwitschny set is superb (including sonically).
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Florestan on September 24, 2019, 05:58:43 AM
I like Raymonda, The Seasons and the Violin Concerto but I have a hard time understanding why Glazunov was considered heir to Tchaikovsky as a symphonist. I've listened to the first two: not a single memorable, heartmelting melody, not a single arresting idea, not a trace of that bittersweet, sentimental-cum-angst Tchaikovskian atmosphere and last but not least not a single memorable waltz --- Tchaikovsky is as far away from all this as it gets I'll keep listening, though, maybe the next symphonies are better.

???  :(

I hear a lot of memorable material in both symphonies. The 1st is such a lively piece, a stunning first symphony by anyone. The 2nd has some traces of Borodin and it has a grandeur I find arresting.

My least favorite symphonies are the 7th and possibly the 5th, but even so, I like them.

Florestan

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 24, 2019, 06:07:23 AM
I hear a lot of memorable material in both symphonies. The 1st is such a lively piece, a stunning first symphony by anyone. The 2nd has some traces of Borodin and it has a grandeur I find arresting.

Bombastic is a better term.  ;D No, really, the excessive use of brass is quite annoying to me.

ritter

Quote from: Traverso on September 24, 2019, 06:07:06 AM
Carter

Carter's Oboe Concerto (my introduction to his music many years ago, through the CD you've posted) is an extraordinarily beautiful composition...

Karl Henning

Quote from: ritter on September 24, 2019, 06:11:35 AM
Carter's Oboe Concerto (my introduction to his music many years ago, through the CD you've posted) is an extraordinarily beautiful composition...

Absolutely!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on September 24, 2019, 06:10:38 AM
Bombastic is a better term.  ;D No, really, the excessive use of brass is quite annoying to me.

He was a teenager. Maybe he calmed down later on...

(I've no idea, I know almost no Glazunov, but I do know his reputation as child prodigy).
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

j winter

Quote from: Florestan on September 24, 2019, 06:05:55 AM
That's a pity. The Konwhisky Konwitschny set is superb (including sonically).

Oh I agree completely, it's an excellent set, it just didn't make it into the car this morning... :)

I find that one benefit of having so many recordings of something central like Beethoven is that it allows me to [amuse myself by pretending that I'm a sophisticated enough listener to] really appreciate the differences in sound and style amongst the great old orchestras.  Having multiple sets over the last 3/4 century from Leipzig, Dresden, Berlin, Vienna, the Concertgebouw, etc., you not only get the interpretive differences among the various conductors, but you start to get a sense of the "house style/sound" of the orchestras, which can be really helpful when exploring recordings in other repertoire.  It also provides additional mental stimulation when listening to the umpteenth recording of Beethoven's 7th -- not only am I just enjoying the performance as such, but I'm also trying to pick out and savor the orchestral textures, for instance how one set has a lovely burnished woodwind sound front and center, while in another the focus is more on the strings or brass and the woodwinds have a mellower sound, and a different role to play.  As someone who doesn't read a musical score, it's also a way to get closer to the music, as every recording has it's own unique features. 

That's just the way my brain works, though; and as I say, it keeps me amused... :)

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

André

Great post, J Winter ! My thoughts, exactly !!  ;)

Papy Oli

More Malcolm Arnold - Symphonies No.3 & 4 (Penny)

[asin]B0000060CQ[/asin]
Olivier

aligreto

Mahler: Symphony 7 [Kubelik]

Of all of the Mahler symphonies no. 7 was the one that I had most difficulty coming to terms with initially. This is a very fine interpretation and presentation of this work. The tempi are well paced and the lines are all clear leading to great transparency. The tone is also lighter than some other versions that I have heard.

Brian

How come nobody's released a CD pairing the two great ballets about tabletop games? Assembling my own playlist here:

Jeu de cartes first, then Checkmate

Florestan

Quote from: j winter on September 24, 2019, 06:33:23 AM
Oh I agree completely, it's an excellent set, it just didn't make it into the car this morning... :)

I find that one benefit of having so many recordings of something central like Beethoven is that it allows me to [amuse myself by pretending that I'm a sophisticated enough listener to] really appreciate the differences in sound and style amongst the great old orchestras.  Having multiple sets over the last 3/4 century from Leipzig, Dresden, Berlin, Vienna, the Concertgebouw, etc., you not only get the interpretive differences among the various conductors, but you start to get a sense of the "house style/sound" of the orchestras, which can be really helpful when exploring recordings in other repertoire.  It also provides additional mental stimulation when listening to the umpteenth recording of Beethoven's 7th -- not only am I just enjoying the performance as such, but I'm also trying to pick out and savor the orchestral textures, for instance how one set has a lovely burnished woodwind sound front and center, while in another the focus is more on the strings or brass and the woodwinds have a mellower sound, and a different role to play.  As someone who doesn't read a musical score, it's also a way to get closer to the music, as every recording has it's own unique features. 

That's just the way my brain works, though; and as I say, it keeps me amused... :)

Every single time the 7th is broadcasted on my car radio I turn it off or switch the channel, and Hell is gonna freeze before I listen to it of my own will again. I can't stand it anymore --- and to think that during my teens it was my favorite symphony by anyone (not that I had listened to many back then).  :D

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on September 24, 2019, 07:21:07 AM

Of all of the Mahler symphonies no. 7 was the one that I had most difficulty coming to terms with initially. This is a very fine interpretation and presentation of this work. The tempi are well paced and the lines are all clear leading to great transparency. The tone is also lighter than some other versions that I have heard.

Curiously, and FWIW. A friend of mine who (rest his soul) was a fervent Mahler enthusiast, knowing me for a composer (and at the time, I didn't think I cared for the Mahler symphonies, recommended the Seventh to me as an entrée.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

aligreto

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 24, 2019, 07:38:02 AM
Curiously, and FWIW. A friend of mine who (rest his soul) was a fervent Mahler enthusiast, knowing me for a composer (and at the time, I didn't think I cared for the Mahler symphonies, recommended the Seventh to me as an entrée.

I would never have agreed with that recommendation back in the day and, personally and respectfully, could still not do so today Karl.

Maestro267

Lajtha: Symphony No. 9
Pécs SO/Pasquet

Gubaidulina: Pro et contra
BBC National Orchestra of Wales/Otaka

Schnittke: Ritual
Malmö SO/Segerstam

André

Quote from: aligreto on September 24, 2019, 07:21:07 AM

That's true of all of Kubelik's Mahler. The BRSO's mahlerian tonal palette is light and refined where other orchestras sound much darker. I really like it but it offers fewer thrills than most.

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on September 24, 2019, 07:41:19 AM
I would never have agreed with that recommendation back in the day and, personally and respectfully, could still not do so today Karl.

It didn't do it for me at the time. But, as my friend and I shared enthusiasms for Nielsen and Shostakovich, Mahler did not get between us.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA