What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

aukhawk

One of my favourite recordings of the Sibelius 5th, too.  The 7th I find the Chandos reverbrant ambience a bit too much - in such a competitive field.

aukhawk

Quote from: aukhawk on October 07, 2019, 09:09:38 AM
I listened to 'unknown' Ks 196, 477, 115 which are consecutive on Disc 3 and he makes a thoroughly convincing case for them - hurrah! - new Scarlatti!
Quote from: Mandryka on October 07, 2019, 09:53:24 AM
It's good you have the discs because it will help me make sense of this idea in the booklet
What are the meditative ones at the end of each disc?  ...

No I don't have the CDs (that would have been a leap of faith too far!) but I just use 'CD' or 'Disc' as a shorthand way of navigating around a long list of streamable files.  I'm sorry if that was misleading.

The 52 sonatas are divided equally into 4 sets of 13, and the final ones of each set are: K109 in A minor, K32 in D minor, K69 in F minor (beautifully done!), K247 in C-sharp minor.  The last three of these I would put in the 'warhorse' category - quite frequently recorded.

Irons

Arnold: 3rd Symphony.

The juxtaposition between flippant and seriousness in the outer movements is brilliantly handled by Arnold. The heart of the symphony, the middle movement, drops the flippancy.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Harry

CD IX.

Choral settings IX.

Pretty brilliant. There is not a disc in this box that disappoints me.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on October 07, 2019, 12:52:22 PM
Tam O'Shanter Overture by Malcolm Arnold cond. Sir Alexander Gibson - a marvellous performance. Thanks to Roasted Swan for alerting us to this recording:

That sold like hot cakes on LP Jeffrey, a famous issue. I think the cover image more striking.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Moonfish

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Traverso

Traverso

Luc Ferrari

Son Mémorisé

Walk in sound
Luc Ferrari: Here's how the story goes, and this is a real symphonic walk through a landscape. It is morning. A pram, his wife, their Algerian friends and his tape recorder come from the desert. The air is quiet, but the acoustics are very alive. A nomad's tent protrudes among the dunes; women weave a rug and invite him for coffee. The stroller resumes its walk and enters the city. Because he wants to listen and walk, he does exactly that. Among other things, he visits the market, where a symphony of voices takes shape and rhythms are outlined.

Harry

E.T.A. Hoffmann.
Symphony in E flat major.
Undine-Overture.
Aurora-Overture and March.

Friedrich Witt.
Symphony in A major.

Kolner Akademie, Michael Alexander Willens.

Beautifully produced CD. Well recorded, and to polite in expression. The music is well written by both composers, but this orchestra misses the enthusiasm, and alertness to be aware of all the many details that would make this music rise above the ordinary. What we have is music that will please but not sparkle.
But that's the musical stance of Willens, often conservative in outlook. If you want to compete against Haydn or Mozart, you'll have to do better as this.

Madiel

Suite no.5 in C minor

The sonority of Watkin's baroque cello, differently tuned for this suite as required by Bach, is gloomy and growling. The effect is completely different from the Rostropovich set that I'm used to.

EDIT: To be honest this feels a little disappointing compared to the first 4 suites. Both the Allemande and Courante are on the slow side. It's far from bad, but it's a drop from the outstanding quality of the album thus far.

SECOND EDIT: Against that, the Gavottes are passionate.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all,

First listen to Charles Villers Stanford - Irish Symphony No.3

https://www.youtube.com/v/cWl_3XdsCDI
Olivier

Madiel

Shostakovich

Aphorisms, op.13

To October, op.14

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Harry

Sylvio Lazzari. (Real name: Josef Fortunat Silvester)

Maritieme Pictures.

Moscow SO, Adriano.

He was born out of an Italian Father and an Austrian mother. Eventually he got the French nationality. A composer who was much praised, but nevertheless is forgotten.
His music has episodic charm, but I felt as a whole that is was not coherently connected. Many moments of beauty, but the message did not come across. That really goes for both works on this disc. It is meandering at a steady pace, but does not impress. In part the performance is to blame for the end result. The playing is for the most part uninspired and rather lifeless. The many intricate details are masked by playing that is consistently to loud and rough. They do their utmost it seems, but even Adriano's directing is a bit wayward. The recording is what we could expect from Marco Polo at that time, but what we need is a modern performance with a better orchestra and conductor.

Madiel

I decided to go hunting online for 2 of Shostakovich's opuses that are arrangements of other music.

Tahiti Trot, op.16 is a jolly little thing.

Two Pieces from Scarlatti (for wind band) op.17, is... well frankly it's disorienting. It ends up not sounding very much like Scarlatti or Shostakovich.

EDIT: Okay, the 2nd one sounds more like Shostakovich.

aukhawk

Quote from: aukhawk on October 08, 2019, 12:38:48 AM
[Scarlatti / Debargue]
The 52 sonatas are divided equally into 4 sets of 13, and the final ones of each set are: K109 in A minor, K32 in D minor, K69 in F minor (beautifully done!), K247 in C-sharp minor.  The last three of these I would put in the 'warhorse' category - quite frequently recorded.

All four of them actually.  Whilst finding Debargue on Spotify I also came across Hantai vol.6 which I had been unaware of.

This too contains several new-to-me sonatas and is the usual Hantai wild ride.  He too includes K69 which here seems like sensual, post-coital music as befits its K-number.
By contrast with Debargue he finishes on a high, and another sonata new to me, K477 in G, a gallop complete with a neigh and a whinny as Hantai finishes with a flourish.

Mandryka

Quote from: aukhawk on October 08, 2019, 12:38:48 AM
No I don't have the CDs (that would have been a leap of faith too far!) but I just use 'CD' or 'Disc' as a shorthand way of navigating around a long list of streamable files.  I'm sorry if that was misleading.

K32 is one of those pieces which everyone does well! It's just a special piece of music.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

André

Quote from: "Harry" on October 08, 2019, 04:05:04 AM
Sylvio Lazzari. (Real name: Josef Fortunat Silvester)

Maritieme Pictures.

Moscow SO, Adriano.

He was born out of an Italian Father and an Austrian mother. Eventually he got the French nationality. A composer who was much praised, but nevertheless is forgotten.
His music has episodic charm, but I felt as a whole that is was not coherently connected. Many moments of beauty, but the message did not come across. That really goes for both works on this disc. It is meandering at a steady pace, but does not impress. In part the performance is to blame for the end result. The playing is for the most part uninspired and rather lifeless. The many intricate details are masked by playing that is consistently to loud and rough. They do their utmost it seems, but even Adriano's directing is a bit wayward. The recording is what we could expect from Marco Polo at that time, but what we need is a modern performance with a better orchestra and conductor.

I have that disc, but under a different cover. My memory of it is that - well, I have no real memory of it  :(. I also have his violin sonata, and it is not distinctive. I might give his music another try. Might be the last.

San Antone

Schubert : Piano Trios
Beaux Arts Trio

Harry

Hans Werner Henze.

Adagio, Fuge und Manadentanz.
Nachtstucke und Arien.
Sinfonia N 8.

Gurzenich Orchester Koln, Markus Stenz.

2014 was the last time I have listened to this disc, and on second acquaintance it is still as impressive. Many might not know, but I actually admire Henze as one of the few composers from the 20th century. For me he is super coherent, projecting a very elevating soundworld. I like his organized chaos.
And this is of of the best sounding recordings I know of all three works.

Harry

Salomon Jadassohn

Piano Trios 1-3.

Syrius trio.

I collect as much music as I can from this composer, for the simple reason that I think him to be a genius, albeit much underrated by concert goers and music buyers. These trios are in the German romantic tradition, and equal to anything that was composed in his time, before and after. The performance is fantastic, as is the recording.