What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz, Cato, akebergv, steve ridgway and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

aligreto

Mozart: Violin Concerto No. 3 K 216 [Brown/Academy of St. Martin in the Fields]

aligreto

Mozart: Divertimento K.131 [Orpheus Chamber Orchestra]

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on October 08, 2019, 11:23:50 AM
Mozart: Violin Concerto No. 3 K 216 [Brown/Academy of St. Martin in the Fields]

A fine recording  ;)

listener

Glass Harmonica and ensembles
MOZART: Adagio and Rondo K.617   Adagio K.617a
REICHARDT: Rondeau in BbRÖLLIG: Quintet in c,  J.A.P. SCHULZ: Largo in c, NAUMANN: Quartet in C
Bruno Hoffmann, glass harmonic   
JONGEN: Sonata eroica op. 94 for große orgel   
MALEINGREAU: Symphonie de la passion op. 20
Gûnter Kaunzinger, organ of St. Matthiaskirche, Berlin-Schönberg
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

André

Der Tod Jesu is a Passion oratorio written by Kraus (words and music) in the pietistic tradition. The music is sturm und drangish, with influences from Gluck and C.P.E. Bach. There are 14 movements, mostly accompanied recitative+aria, some powerful choruses, and a couple of short orchestral interludes. At 45 minutes it breezes by very nicely. The disc is filled with 2 short cantatas and 2 movements from a Te Deum, a collaborative project celebrating the 1788 naval victory of the Swedes vs the Russians. Kraus was responsible for the last two movements. Despite the absence of the rest of the work, what we get is high powered and quite rousing.

André

Disc one of this set:

Busoni seems to pick up where Liszt left off in terms of exploring the limits of tonality. I am also reminded of Reger in his seriousness of purpose and fondness for the world of german chorales and the music of Bach. I have 2 discs of Bach transcriptions by Busoni on the Arts label (Pietro Spada) as well as another one by Egon Petri playing Bach transcriptions and the Fantasia Contrappunstitica (a sort of homage to Bach's Art of Fugue). This set by Hamelin is the first I know to centre on Busoni's own works and ideas. Only BV 40 and 253 from this set are Bach-related. Hugely engrossing stuff. The disc ends in typical Hamelin fashion with the Giga, bolero e variazione.

Karl Henning

Erik Chisholm
Pf Concerti 1 & 2
Danny Driver

Great stuff. And listening reminds me of when Luke frequented GMG
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Alek Hidell

My exploration of a few Bach Cello Suites recordings was interrupted, but I did begin this one recently ...

... and then turned it off, bored, before it was over. I'm sure it was just my mood; I know many think highly of this rendition.

I'll return to it later. I think I may turn to the Watkin recording next, where Madiel has been spending time lately. I heard many good things about it when it was released, so it's time I heard it.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Que

Last disc before leaving for a week to France  (Lorraine, Nancy & surrounding area).
After this it will be spotify.... :)

[asin]B00CJD2W2K[/asin]
Q

Moonfish

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Traverso

Harry

Rerun.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Florestan

First listens

Two of the most beautiful cello and violin sonatas I've ever heard, with slow movements to die for.

Splendid as well. Among the finest piano music I've ever heard.

Where do I apply for the Alkan Club membership?
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

First listen as well : Patrick Hadley - Trees so high.

Absolutely gorgeous. Loved the 3rd movement (vivace) particularly.

https://www.youtube.com/v/0yzzAH6icLU

[asin]B000M5B6LU[/asin]
Olivier

Madiel

Quote from: Alek Hidell on October 08, 2019, 07:45:15 PM
My exploration of a few Bach Cello Suites recordings was interrupted, but I did begin this one recently ...

... and then turned it off, bored, before it was over. I'm sure it was just my mood; I know many think highly of this rendition.

I'll return to it later. I think I may turn to the Watkin recording next, where Madiel has been spending time lately. I heard many good things about it when it was released, so it's time I heard it.

Worth your while I think. Obviously I've been conveying that already...

As for Wispelwey III, I didn't find it as engaging as Wispelwey II when I was doing my initial rounds of sampling.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Harry

CD III.

Quatre pieces fugitives, opus 15.
Souvenir de Vienne, Impromptu pour le Pianoforte, opus 9.
Scherzo in D minor, opus 10.
Drei Romanzen, opus 21.
Drei Präludien und Fugen opus 16.

This set proves to be a winner.

Madiel

Debussy, Le Printemps

My replacement CD arrived (for the horrific version Amazon tried to sell me). Booklet is only in French but I'll take it, for good sound quality. In fact it sounds quite luscious.

Though the tenors are undeniably flat at one point!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: "Harry" on October 09, 2019, 02:00:07 AM
CD III.

Quatre pieces fugitives, opus 15.
Souvenir de Vienne, Impromptu pour le Pianoforte, opus 9.
Scherzo in D minor, opus 10.
Drei Romanzen, opus 21.
Drei Präludien und Fugen opus 16.

This set proves to be a winner.

How does it compare to the Beenhouwer set, which apparently is more complete?

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on October 09, 2019, 02:29:19 AM
How does it compare to the Beenhouwer set, which apparently is more complete?

Susanne Grutzmann, brings more warmth to Clara's music, and the details are more refined. In the end she gives me more the impression that she is deeply committed to this music. Beenhouwer however has different qualities. But for my money its Grutzmann.

And by the way this set has 4 CD''s, so it probably is more complete as Beenhower, but I will dig this out of my collection and check.