What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camphy, Lisztianwagner and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: aligreto on October 08, 2019, 12:12:05 PM
Mozart: Divertimento K.131 [Orpheus Chamber Orchestra]

I have that - one of the few discs I've ever bought just because I liked the cover (but then, Orpheus never let me down, so no real risk there!)...
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Madiel

Brahms, Clarinet Sonata No.2

I think I prefer this work to its sibling.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: "Harry" on October 09, 2019, 02:34:03 AM
Susanne Grutzmann, brings more warmth to Clara's music, and the details are more refined. In the end she gives me more the impression that she is deeply committed to this music. Beenhouwer however has different qualities. But for my money its Grutzmann.

Thanks. Which are Beenhouwer qualities?

(As a piano buff, I am tempted to get both)

And by the way this set has 4 CD''s, so it probably is more complete as Beenhower, but I will dig this out of my collection and check.

Beenhouwer is the more complete. See full track listings for both:

Grutzmann: https://www.allmusic.com/album/clara-schumann-the-complete-works-for-piano-solo-mw0001420748

Beenhouwer: https://www.allmusic.com/album/clara-schumann-complete-piano-works-mw0001377754

Beenhouwer has 5 pieces which are missing from Grutzmann.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Harry

Quote from: Florestan on October 09, 2019, 03:01:29 AM
Thanks. Which are Beenhouwer qualities?

(As a piano buff, I am tempted to get both)

Beenhouwer is the more complete. See full track listings for both:

Grutzmann: https://www.allmusic.com/album/clara-schumann-the-complete-works-for-piano-solo-mw0001420748

Beenhouwer: https://www.allmusic.com/album/clara-schumann-complete-piano-works-mw0001377754

Beenhouwer has 5 pieces which are missing from Grutzmann.

I have both sets. Beenhouwer adds more grandeur to the music, and sometimes makes it larger than life. But his narrative is lucid and evocative. Grutzmann is more
inclined to intimacy. And last but not least I find the profil registrations better as on CPO.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Florestan

Quote from: "Harry" on October 09, 2019, 03:20:42 AM
I have both sets. Beenhouwer adds more grandeur to the music, and sometimes makes it larger than life. But his narrative is lucid and evocative. Grutzmann is more
inclined to intimacy. And last but not least I find the profil registrations better as on CPO.

Thanks. Both it is, then.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Madiel

Beethoven, Violin sonatas 4 and 5 (which were intended to be published as a pair)

Honestly, the performances in this set are one of the best things this forum ever introduced me to.

And the packaging one of the worst but ignore that...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Bach, Cello Suite No.6

One of the things that has frequently struck with me Watkin's performances is the way he deals with rapid figurations. He's capable of an extremely light and fast run. I don't know whether the use of a period instrument is a factor in this.

Anyway, it really comes to the fore in the 6th allemande. Watkin takes a reasonably slow pace (though not so slow as Rostropovich who breaks all sense of rhythm, I didn't even understand the movement until I heard someone else play it), but Watkin's quick runs of notes can positively zip by.

The suite as a whole, I'm perfectly happy with. Because Watkin uses a period 5-string instrument, the tone is a little mellower than some performances but the brightness of this suite is still apparent. The Serenade has a flowing tempo and a lovely serenity to it.  The Gavottes seem thoroughly danceable.

The only distraction is that this particular disc (and only this one, not the other in the set) doesn't seem to like my player, though if I reload it carefully everything generally rights itself.

Now, I sincerely hope the other set I ordered by Queyras is about to arrive, there are fears that it got lost in the mail as every other order has long since appeared...  :'(

Mandryka

There's a review of this in the Oxford Early Music Magazine which says "in more languorous movements, one might wish for a little more vertical flexibility." What's "vertical flexibility"? Is he asking for her to present the voices in an unaligned way? (From that point of view what she does seems fine to me, maybe I've not listened carefully enough.)

This recording, by the way, has become a great favourite of mine.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Papy Oli

Malcolm Arnold - symphonies 5 & 6 (Penny)

[asin]B00005B4C7[/asin]
Olivier

Maestro267

Fricker: Symphony No. 4
BBC Northern SO/Handford

Respighi: Fountains of Rome
L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande/Ansermet

Simpson: Symphony No. 5
Royal PO/Handley

Traverso

Schütz

Opus Utimum
( Der Schwanengesang )

Mandryka

Absolutely amazing performance of the Britten nocturnal here

https://www.youtube.com/v/s7QXAxRnln8
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Biffo

Berlioz: Harold en Italie - London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Sir Colin Davis with Tabea Zimmermann (viola)

Papy Oli

First listen

Philip Sainton - The Island (tone poem)

https://www.youtube.com/v/1speCYFDKok

h/t Irons
Olivier

André

aligreto

Mahler: Das Klagende Lied [Rattle]

This work is quite operatic in both scale and content. It was written when Mahler was a very young man and even then he was working on a grand scale.

aligreto

aligreto

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 09, 2019, 02:39:50 AM

I have that - one of the few discs I've ever bought just because I liked the cover (but then, Orpheus never let me down, so no real risk there!)...

Yes, I agree that the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra do tend not to let one down. They have been consistently good whenever I have listened to them.

Florestan

Schubert - Sonata in A major D574

(with Jean Antonietti, piano)

Glorious mono sound, cracking performance.

aligreto