What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Am I really gonna have to drag out my Carter? I have the Juilliard. But I'd have to find it, and play it very softly, so tonight more PBS Schubert.

Karl Henning

Mahler
Adagio from the Tenth
Kremerata Baltica
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mandryka

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on October 09, 2019, 02:09:24 PM
Disc one. Fantastic playing, and very good mono sound (rather surprising since the concert was in 1973).

Thanks for pointing out this interesting recording, I have started to explore the Schumann sonata. 
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Moonfish

Haydn: Baryton Trios

Excellent!

[asin] B00004RCZB[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 09, 2019, 07:18:16 AM
First listen

Philip Sainton - The Island (tone poem)

https://www.youtube.com/v/1speCYFDKok

h/t Irons

Hope you enjoyed, I re-listened too. I find the interjection of the lone trumpet call most effective and original. Some influence of Bax in the piece maybe?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 09, 2019, 03:17:03 PM

An overlooked Czech cycle (5 quartets) that has some really fine music. The 1st SQ is instantly recognizable as Dvorakian and it's a beauty. The next 2 ones are more personal and intimate, whose emotional load is rather noticeable. And the last 2 ones are even more pensive, introverted, reflecting his last phase as a composer. All in all, very interesting pieces.

Romantic Symphony

A late-Romantic affair with many passionate passages, whose material is not properly memorable. The very beginning is just outlandish (with organ included). This work is one of those that contain bad bombastic. Mildly entertaining but nothing special.

Most interested to read your comments on the Foerster quartets. His suite for large orchestra "Cyrano de Bergerac" is wonderful and a personal favourite.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Prokofiev: Sinfonietta.

As title suggests lighter then the symphonies - more like music for ballet. Some similarities with his "Classical" symphony can be detected. An enjoyable listen.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on October 09, 2019, 11:30:43 PM
Prokofiev: Sinfonietta.

As title suggests lighter then the symphonies - more like music for ballet. Some similarities with his "Classical" symphony can be detected. An enjoyable listen.
I like Prokofiev's Sinfonietta which I originally came across as the fourth side of Muti's EMI boxed set of the music for 'Ivan the Terrible'. One of my favourite LP cover images as well:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

vandermolen

Constant Lambert: Horoscope. Nice music before going off to work. I also enjoyed Easdale's 'The Red Shoes' (not to be confused with the album by Kate Bush which I also have):
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: Florestan on October 09, 2019, 11:52:12 PM

Some twists and turns in the music of the first disc reminded me of... Alkan, of all people.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Tsaraslondon

Fabulous recorded sound accorded to Solti and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra in this programme of colourful Hungarian showpieces. I'm not normally a Solti fan, but this disc finds him conducting music conducive to his style.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on October 09, 2019, 11:17:27 PM
Hope you enjoyed, I re-listened too. I find the interjection of the lone trumpet call most effective and original. Some influence of Bax in the piece maybe?

Hi Lol,

Yes, I did enjoy the trumpet element as well and the build up within the piece. one more argument to get that coupling with Hadley I guess  ;D
Olivier

Papy Oli

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 09, 2019, 09:17:57 AM
You appear not enjoying works that could be seen or perceived as easily or instantly appealing. That's been my impression when I see many of your posts. Maybe I'm wrong. But anyway, I do understand that tastes are so different as people exist.  :)

Fair point to an extent, Cesar  :-[ Whilst my listening tastes are more of the moody, intense, building-up kind (Mahler, Bruckner, etc), I still dabble in every genres and periods with the hits and misses... but I admit there are some major composers that just don't click in the more romantic or melodic mould...Debussy, Ravel, Brahms (chamber music), Strauss are some of them. I keep revisiting those regularly but they are eluding me in the main.
Olivier

Introverted

NP:

Bruckner: Symphony #9 in D Minor, WAB 109

Zubin Mehta: Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra

Awesome... :)

Traverso

Four and Twenty  Fiddlers

Another fine recording with the Parley of Instruments

Wanderer

Quote from: Florestan on October 09, 2019, 12:10:39 AM
First listens

Two of the most beautiful cello and violin sonatas I've ever heard, with slow movements to die for.

Splendid as well. Among the finest piano music I've ever heard.

Where do I apply for the Alkan Club membership?

Here!  8)

Wanderer

Quote from: Moonfish on October 08, 2019, 01:11:46 AM
How is Davis's rendition of King Olaf?

It's very good and the same can be said about Handley's version (I slightly prefer the latter). The best rendition I've heard, however, (and by a long margin) was in concert at the 2017 Edinburgh Festival (Philharmonia Orchestra, Sir Andrew Davis, Edinburgh Festival Chorus, Erin Wall, Robert Dean Smith, Matthew Rose), criminally not recorded.

Wanderer