What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

staxomega

Quote from: aligreto on October 13, 2019, 11:20:14 AM
I think that the Shostakovich String Quartets are are truly magnificent body of work. I have not heard the Quatuor Danel cycle but I may well investigate it.

It's a fine cycle, not as "gritty" as my personal favorite the first Borodin. It's available for streaming on Spotify. I've also enjoyed Danel playing the Weinberg string quartets.

Listened to the Op. 87 Shostakovich Preludes and Fugues played by Jenny Lin and now on this Arthur Friedheim Pearl CD. Some Emil von Sauer on this CD as well, the Marston releases of his Chopin are personal favorites.

JBS

Quote from: Todd on October 13, 2019, 11:31:30 AM

What's that like?

Can ask who your new avatar is? Google image search wants me to think it's Alan Turing.

TD
Beethoven
Piano Sonatas 4, 9, 8
Stewart Goodyear piano

Playing is certainly excellent though I have yet to hear anything I  might call superb.  The sonics are certainly among the best (thanks in part I suppose to Glenn Gould...the recording venue was the Glenn Gould Studio in Toronto).
But I will repeat this cycle has the chinziest packaging I have ever seen, other than the EMI 50CD LvB Masterworks set.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Todd

Quote from: JBS on October 13, 2019, 05:21:49 PM
What's that like?

Heavy Bach transcriptions flanking heavy-ish, baroque-informed works by Gubaidulina and Hindemith.  Gourari's style works well, though Elusive Affinity is her best ECM disc.

Quote from: JBS on October 13, 2019, 05:21:49 PMCan ask who your new avatar is? Google image search wants me to think it's Alan Turing.

John Logan.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Moonfish

Mendelssohn: VC
Bruch: VC

Jansen
Gewandhausorchester/Chailly

Nothing amazing in this recording. Pretty much in the middle of the road performances of these two warhorses.
But Jansen is very cute!

[asin] B000JRYMDU[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Haydn
Symphonies Nos. 9-13
Vienna Chamber O/Märzendorfer

from
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mandryka

It's the anniversary of Jacques Arcadelt's death. The poems on this are recited with an historic accent which, for some reason, even though I'm not a francophone, makes me laugh. I have the same response to a Quebec accent! The singing doesn't quite efface the memory of Rooley in Arcadelt for me, to put it mildly.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Madiel

Sibelius

4 pieces for violin and piano, op.78

5 Romantic Compositions, op.101

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Irons

Quote from: ChopinBroccoli on October 13, 2019, 07:40:04 AM
Everything was slow with him... never heard a Klemperer record I wanted to buy

Probably the last work you would think of but Klemperer's recording of Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique is worth anyone's money.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Copland: 3rd Symphony.

Magnificent! To have the composer - fine conductor too - with the Philharmonia is a bonus.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on October 13, 2019, 11:14:25 PM
Copland: 3rd Symphony.

Magnificent! To have the composer - fine conductor too - with the Philharmonia is a bonus.
That's a marvellous performance and LP cover. I find that Copland's slightly understated approach results in an even more moving account. I never liked the Bernstein CBS/Sony version and much preferred Copland's earlier Everest LP.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: San Antone on October 13, 2019, 03:53:01 PM

I've been very tempted by this CD! What's your opinion of it? I have a number of other recordings of the work.
Thread duty:

'Leyla and Mejnun' (1947)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on October 13, 2019, 11:18:52 PM
That's a marvellous performance and LP cover. I find that Copland's slightly understated approach results in an even more moving account. I never liked the Bernstein CBS/Sony version and much preferred Copland's earlier Everest LP.

I like Copland a lot but must admit coming to the 3rd Symphony late. Better late then never as a terrific symphony! The cover is striking as you say, but puzzled by its message. Listening to Copland I always think of the vast open US prairie.

San Antone

Quote from: vandermolen on October 13, 2019, 11:23:07 PM
I've been very tempted by this CD! What's your opinion of it? I have a number of other recordings of the work.

I enjoyed it.

Zimerman, for me, is a reliable pianist and I have never been disappointed by any recording of his I've heard, so despite Rattle I was immediately interested in this recording.  I've never been a huge fan of Rattle, and the recording that has made me think twice about him was his recording of Debussy's P&M.  So this is the second recent recording of his that I've liked.

I haven't done any head-to-head comparisons, and cannot speak to how it holds up against the other recordings, but will come back to this one again.

Que

San Antone

Quote from: Que on October 13, 2019, 11:41:58 PM
Via Spotify:

Q

Thanks for the Spotify alert.  I like Hopkinson Smith a lot and created a playlist of some of his recordings I enjoy.  After listening for a few minutes, I will add this one to it.

Que

Quote from: San Antone on October 13, 2019, 11:52:22 PM
Thanks for the Spotify alert.  I like Hopkinson Smith a lot and created a playlist of some of his recordings I enjoy.  After listening for a few minutes, I will add this one to it.

Now I'm on vacation and seperated from my CD collection, I find that Spotify is a great way to discover new recordings.  :)

Plus the convenience when travelling. My wife got a portable device with speakers that can be connected via bluetooth to my tablet or iPhone.

Q

Tsaraslondon

Quote from: André on October 13, 2019, 08:07:16 AM
Klemperer slowed down considerably in old age, even more so in the recording studio. Recordings and concerts from the fifties show he could be quite the speed merchant, to the point where things tumble down almost uncontrollably at times.

Indeed the first movement of his Mahler 2 on EMI with the Philharmonia is on the fast side and a good deal faster than Rattle on his award winning CBSO account. I prefer it too. Much more bitingly urgent.

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Tsaraslondon

Famous performances which need no introduction from me.

\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Madiel

Sibelius - original version of the 5th symphony

I've not tried the 4-movement original before. That was a rather odd experience. I don't really "get" the 5th symphony anyway, it's a work I've never entirely warmed to, and so to then have an unfamiliar form of most of its ideas was...

There are lots of passages I enjoy in isolation, but as an overall work I didn't know where it was going or what it was doing.

Oh, and Spotify? Pfft. Try Deezer.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

aukhawk

I think it's good to have.  It's almost like a whole 'nother symphony.  I'd like to hear other recordings of it (although Vanska is reliably good of course).