Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Dvořák
String Quintets Nos. 1 & 2
Panocha Quartet

aligreto

Beethoven:  Symphony No. 5 [Maazel]

This is a strong, robust performance which bears witness to the nobility of the work.

Papy Oli

Various Haydn piano sonatas (CD5) by Ekaterina Derzhavina.

[asin]B00BHEG6CO[/asin]
Olivier

aligreto

Field: Piano Concerto No. 1 [O'Conor]

This is a fine work which has a very charming slow movement.

staxomega

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 16, 2019, 08:56:41 PM
Pounds the table! What an incredible recording that is! Do check out Jacobs' other Debussy recordings. One of my favorites in Debussy for sure.

Indeed I am a great admirer of his pianism, particularly with Debussy, I have all the Nonesuch releases and have been meaning to sample one of the Arbiter CDs with Busoni. And I agree with your earlier post on Boulez's first recording of Bluebeard's Castle, enjoying that now! I also made my way through the entirety of the Complete Bartok Decca box, I'll have to make a post on my favorite new discoveries from it when I think about it some more. I'm normally not one for these complete composer sets, but I'm quite happy with this one, there is much great music on there that is not recorded/performed often.

Last night's listening was to Claude Franke's Beethoven piano sonata cycle, the Op. 2 sonatas and the second of the Op. 27 following by Les Adieux. I am enjoying this cycle more than I have when I sampled it in the past, we shall so how it progresses, so far nothing that elevates it into the truly exceptional tier. On a superficial level I am attracted to the thought that he was taught by Schnabel and one of my all time favorite pianists Rudolf Serkin.

Papy Oli

Returning to a favorite work of mine:

Philip Glass - Concerto Fantasy for 2 Timpanists and Orchestra

[asin]B0002X4UBA[/asin]
Olivier

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 17, 2019, 06:00:26 AM
Clifford' 1940 was pretty decent, Jeffrey. I found the first two movements particularly strong and enjoyable. It lost me for a bit in the adagio but it regained some traction again in the last movement. Not sure yet if that would warrant a purchase (it's coupled with Bainton's 2nd on Chandos - will have to check that one now just in case...any good ?  ;D  0:) )

TD: Arnold Bax - November woods (Handley / BBC Philarmonic)

https://www.youtube.com/v/9y0fEx85Xa8

I might actually start and enjoy Bax with this one !!  8)
The Bainton is excellent IMO Olivier and his Third Symphony is even more moving (his wife died during the time he was working on it). The Third Symphony is on Dutton with Rutland Boughton's rather tedious (IMO) 'Oliver Cromwell' Symphony:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

j winter

Diving into this box with Disc 1, various toccatas

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 16, 2019, 05:58:53 PM
Well, you've piqued my curiosity!

I'm pretty sure you'll like them. They reminded me a bit of Martinu, but these works have special charm themselves.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 17, 2019, 12:10:52 AM
Good morning everyone  :)

Hubert Clifford - Symphony 1940
(as recommended by Jeffrey/Vandermolen in the British thread):

https://www.youtube.com/v/R0H5A2puSj4

I listened to this work one year ago or so and I thought it like 'Walton meets Sibelius' in a down-watered way, but it's pleasant at least.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Christo on October 17, 2019, 04:19:59 AM
Great to learn, totally agree. At the moment, my favourite is the 1962 Symphonie concertante (which I had always overlooked, it's rarely being mentioned). It epitomizes his elegant ('French') style, IMHO.

Along with the Nos. 3 and 4, the Symphonie concertante is also a firm favorite. There is a solo for violin and harp in the 2nd movement utterly sweet.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 17, 2019, 08:49:20 AM
Returning to a favorite work of mine:

Philip Glass - Concerto Fantasy for 2 Timpanists and Orchestra

[asin]B0002X4UBA[/asin]

Oh yes, I loved this piece since the very first time. It might easily be my favorite Glass work.

SymphonicAddict

La Bella Dormente nel Bosco impressed me the most. The Respighi's magical and colourful orchestration in full display. A thoroughly lovely work. The ending is quite unusual with its jazzy rhythms and flavour.

aligreto

Brahms: Violin Sonata No. 1 [Kantorow/Planes]

I like this work and it is given a lyrical and somewhat poignant interpretation here.

aligreto

San Antone

Quote from: aligreto on October 17, 2019, 11:32:17 AM
Britten: Nocturnal [Bream]

The Britten Nocturnal is a favorite of mine.  The construction is unique in that it is a theme and variations, but in reverse: beginning with the variations and ending with a statement of the theme (of Dowland's).  And that Bream recording was my introduction to the work.

8)

TD

aligreto

Rodrigo: Concierto de Aranjuez [Bitetti]

aligreto

Quote from: San Antone on October 17, 2019, 11:53:14 AM

The Britten Nocturnal is a favorite of mine.  The construction is unique in that it is a theme and variations, but in reverse: beginning with the variations and ending with a statement of the theme (of Dowland's).  And that Bream recording was my introduction to the work.

8)

Yes, I agree that it is a very fine work and I like the concept of it. The Bream version is the only one that I have of it.