What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS, ritter, akebergv and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

j winter

After several weeks focused on mostly baroque music, switching gears a bit and enjoying some Bruckner.  This one is powerful stuff.   Wonderful performance... some recordings seem to gild the lily a bit at the end of the 3rd movement, so as to provide a satisfying sense of finality and closure to the whole work; Klemperer plays it straight, and leaves one in anticipation of that grand all-resolving finale that of course will never come.  A fine disc imo.

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 22, 2019, 07:47:51 AM
And, the Schnittke homecoming continues:

Psalms of Repentance (1988?)
Swedish Chamber Choir
Tõnu Kaljuste

Symphony # 4 (1984)
Uppsala Akademiska Kammarkör
Stockholm Sinfonietta
Okko Kamu

Wonderful!

Mirror Image

Martinů
Piano Quintet No. 2, H 298
Karel Košárek, piano
Martinů Quartet

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Shostakovich
Pf Quintet in g minor, Op. 57

Schnittke
Quintet for pf & strings

Boris Berman & the Vermeer Quartet
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 22, 2019, 07:06:36 PM
Shostakovich
Pf Quintet in g minor, Op. 57

Schnittke
Quintet for pf & strings

Boris Berman & the Vermeer Quartet

Pounds the table!

Mirror Image

Debussy
Suite bergamasque
Zoltán Kocsis

San Antone

Bach: The French Suites, BWV 812-817
Zhu Xaio-Mei

Que

Morning listening:

[asin]B007RC77XW[/asin]
Pictured is the reissue on alto, but I got the original issue in "The Orpheus Circle" series on Musica Oscura.
The recording is from 1992, Emma Kirkby (1949) was still at the height of her vocal powers.

Q

Moonfish

Quote from: Que on October 22, 2019, 10:00:00 PM
Morning listening:

[asin]B007RC77XW[/asin]
Pictured is the reissue on alto, but I got the original issue in "The Orpheus Circle" series on Musica Oscura.
The recording is from 1992, Emma Kirkby (1949) was still at the height of her vocal powers.

Q

Nice Que!  I love Kirkby's voice - sublime in every way.
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Florestan

Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

SimonNZ

Traverso

Madiel

Holmboe, Requiem for Nietzsche

First listen for a few years to one of Holmboe's few large-scale scores (even rarer when it comes things that have been recorded), and some of his most modern music. I'm deliberately not reading along in the booklet this time, I remember the general thrust anyway.

EDIT: There's plenty of drama in the music itself.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 22, 2019, 03:59:48 PM

Robert Schumann: Symphony No.4 in D minor, op.120. Leonard Bernstein, Vienna Philharmonic. I am finally starting to understand and appreciate the symphonies of Robert Schumann, who has otherwise become one of my very favorite composers in recent months. I really like this Bernstein set, but I also want to get the Sawallisch/Dresden set...

I agree with you about liking Bernstein's VPO cycle.  I'm one of those heretics who dares not to use Sawallisch in Dresden as the reference 'old' recommendation.  Very well played of course but it doesn't quite do it for me.  Of a similar period I always enjoyed a young Muti with one of his first recordings with the Philharmonia when he was their principal conductor.  For sure its a young man's reading - fiery and dramatic but I like them.  I'm no big fan of John Elliot Gardiner but his (older) Schumann set is impressive

Traverso

Les Percussions de Strasbourg

CD 8

Madiel

One of my listening projects, exploring more Nørgård, seems to have stalled over a year ago. Whoops!

Right now I'm listening (on streaming) to "Singe die Gärten mein Herz". And I'm finding this an utterly fascinating experience, because while it started life as a separate composition, it was written at the same time as he was working on the 3rd symphony, and it then became part of the 2nd movement of the symphony... with other music happening at the same time.

So this is almost like being in a recording studio and listening to only some of the tracks on the mixer, turning the other ones off.

EDIT: And now, Nova Genitura, written just after the 3rd symphony and also using some themes from it. Nørgård's music from the 1970s is often strangely beautiful.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all,

Joining the Sibelius bandwagon. his symphonies (bar the 2nd) have mostly eluded me. Time to revisit some of them.

Sibelius - 4th symphony in A minor Op.63 (SFSO / Blomstedt)

[asin]B000FOQ1EA[/asin]
Olivier

Traverso

Brahms

Symphony No 1 1958 & 2 1954

Eduard van Beinum  Concertgebouw Orchestra Amsterdam