Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 49034 times)

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #3320 on: November 09, 2019, 02:59:41 AM »
Bach

Cantatas CD47

Online Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3321 on: November 09, 2019, 03:15:33 AM »
Bach

Cantatas CD47

Are you enjoying the Koopman set as much as the Leonhardt/Harnoncourt?   :)

Q

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #3322 on: November 09, 2019, 03:35:02 AM »
CD V of this fine box. Second rerun.

Performers: Greta de Reyghere, Agnes Mellon, Barbara Borden, Douglas Nasrawi, Bernard Foccroulle, Stephan van Dijck, Paul Agnew, Mark Padmore, Monika Mauch, Gerd Türk, Andreas Scholl, Maria Cristina Kiehr, Max van Egmond, James Bowman, Hans Jörg Mammel, Bart Jacobs, Henri Ledroit, Marion Verbruggen, Siebe Henstra, Vox Luminis, Cantus Cölln, Collegium Vocale Gent, Schola Cantorum Basiliensis, Ricercar Consort, Capella Sancti Michaelis, Concerto Palatino, Akademia, Stylus Phantasticus, Clematis, Flanders Recorder Quartet, Ensemble La Fenice, Pygmalion, Lionel Meunier, Konrad Junghänel, Philippe Pierlot, Francoise Lasserre, Erik van Nevel, Philippe Herreweghe, Leonardo Garcia Alarcon

It's really worth the money and an enjoyable effort to listen to the many composers and their works. Especially as they come in perfect performances, well most of them, with sometimes a odd one out, but that's a personal thing. Sound quality is most of the time very good.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Online Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3323 on: November 09, 2019, 04:09:00 AM »
Revisiting:

Perhaps stating the obvious, as I am an ardent Enrico Gatti fan, but it really doesn't get any better than this.....
If anyone likes some pointers on other Gatti recordings, let me know.

Q

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #3324 on: November 09, 2019, 04:27:35 AM »
Revisiting:

Perhaps stating the obvious, as I am an ardent Enrico Gatti fan, but it really doesn't get any better than this.....
If anyone likes some pointers on other Gatti recordings, let me know.

Q

This record I have, if it is the opus I, but I would be interested which ones you recommend.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #3325 on: November 09, 2019, 04:53:42 AM »
CD VI of this box.

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #3326 on: November 09, 2019, 06:46:21 AM »
CD VII from this box!

Just a load of gorgeous music in pristine performances.

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #3327 on: November 09, 2019, 07:07:20 AM »
Martinu: Czech Rhapsody - Jiri Belohlavek conducting the Prague Symphony Orchestra & Kuhn Mixed Choir with Ivan Kusnjer baritone - stirring stuff!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Jean Sibelius (1865 - 1957)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Swans flying over Tuonela
« Reply #3328 on: November 09, 2019, 07:48:07 AM »
Martinu: Czech Rhapsody - Jiri Belohlavek conducting the Prague Symphony Orchestra & Kuhn Mixed Choir with Ivan Kusnjer baritone - stirring stuff!

Pounds the table!
“Music is, for me, like a beautiful mosaic which God has put together. He takes all the pieces in his hand, throws them into the world, and we have to recreate the picture from the pieces.” - Jean Sibelius

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #3329 on: November 09, 2019, 08:00:29 AM »

Over the course of the last couple work weeks, I streamed a big chunk of the Doric Quartet's discography in the early morning work hours.  There's nary a weak recording in the bunch.  Sure, the Aron Quartett breathe even more like into the criminally under-recorded Korngold works, and no one can make Adams truly compelling, and in the other rep, established faves probably remain established faves, but the Janacek quartets have no little intensity, the Schubert G Major rocks, and the Haydn works delight.  Op 20 is rock solid, Op 64 too, but it is in Op 76, with a perfect combination of refinement and copious hints of rustic influences and idiosyncratic touches, where the Doric show they can compete with anyone.  Here's to hoping they release and LvB cycle next year.

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #3330 on: November 09, 2019, 08:01:20 AM »
CD VIII, the last one in this box.

I had a very pleasant afternoon with the last four CD'S.

Online 2dogs

20th Century
« Reply #3331 on: November 09, 2019, 08:24:37 AM »
Penderecki: A Polish Requiem. Loud and powerful, this “requiem for the sufferings of the Polish nation” evoked the wrath of God and the horrors of history most effectively but never got beyond it to a better place. So not a good CD to wallow in when feeling down :'(.

Offline j winter

« Reply #3332 on: November 09, 2019, 08:52:44 AM »
Started the day with some Mozart from Krips, then moved on to Vaughan Williams... it's a very serene morning in these parts...

« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 08:54:18 AM by j winter »
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #3333 on: November 09, 2019, 09:16:10 AM »
Holst's harshest critic - his daughter Imogen - conceded that the 2nd movement "Elegy in Memoriam William Morris" was easily the best section of the work.  Of the 3 complete recordings (The Elegy is on a Lyrita disc too) this Bostock is easily the weakest both Davis on Chandos and Faletta on Naxos make a much stroinger case for the whole work....

Haven't heard other recordings of that work yet. I didn't feel anything particularly bad on the Bostock, though.

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #3334 on: November 09, 2019, 09:19:06 AM »
Penderecki: A Polish Requiem. Loud and powerful, this “requiem for the sufferings of the Polish nation” evoked the wrath of God and the horrors of history most effectively but never got beyond it to a better place. So not a good CD to wallow in when feeling down :'(.

Sounds interesting. Penderecki is a master in choral music.

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #3335 on: November 09, 2019, 09:43:27 AM »
Are you enjoying the Koopman set as much as the Leonhardt/Harnoncourt?   :)

Q

Interesting question, to be honest, I still prefer the Harnoncourt / Leonhardt recordings. Despite all the limitations, they have a freshness and a greater appeal. Koopman,no matter how beautiful it is, sounds in comparison  more casual,  Leonhardt and Harnoncourt are more penetrating and make you more part of the heart of the cantatas and that is what really matters.
I like to listen to all the recordings in this set and after that the recordings with  Sigiswald Kuijken ( accent) so I'm quite busy for the time being with these cantatas.
No doubt that after that (or sooner) I will return to my favorite performances   :)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #3336 on: November 09, 2019, 09:54:53 AM »

Another listen, this time through cans.  Listened to thusly, the slow movement of the Concerto comes off better, but it is still the solo works that fare best.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Online Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3337 on: November 09, 2019, 10:12:57 AM »
Interesting question, to be honest, I still prefer the Harnoncourt / Leonhardt recordings. Despite all the limitations, they have a freshness and a greater appeal. Koopman,no matter how beautiful it is, sounds in comparison  more casual,  Leonhardt and Harnoncourt are more penetrating and make you more part of the heart of the cantatas and that is what really matters.

You're a man after my own heart.  :)

Q

Online 2dogs

20th Century
« Reply #3338 on: November 09, 2019, 10:37:46 AM »
First listen to Schnittke’s Requiem which arrived today. Much more uplifting with catchy tunes, nice choir accompanied mainly by organ, percussion and even rock instruments in one section. And not too long. Some of it would make great film or TV music.

Online 2dogs

20th Century
« Reply #3339 on: November 09, 2019, 11:11:26 AM »
And on to the Concerto For Piano And Strings - wow Schnittke sure packs a lot into his pieces and just the right mix of “right” and “wrong” sounding notes if you know what I mean  :o.