What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Symphony No. 6

This may be the finest Stanford symphony. The slow movement is so soulful and touching, the heart of the piece. I would put it among the greatest British slow movements.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Symphonies 1 & 3

I had to revisit the 1st Symphony to try if I could change my mind about it. And effectively it was so. First of all, this is an utterly electrifying interpretation that did justice to the dramatic nature of the work. Upon hearing it I realised that certain composers' music sound more convincing if played relatively fast as in this work (something that doesn't happen with Nielsen, for instance, for me, anyway). I recall hearing some slow performances of it that put me off. Clearly this symphony is one of those examples in which the final movement is the best.

The 3rd is a different beast, more carefree, warmer, even burlesque, unabashedly late-Romantic featuring some spellbinding orchestration. Some state that this work doesn't have memorable melodies, that is a wrong appreciation methinks. The Neoclassical touch appears in the 3rd movement. Rachmaninoff had to have fun when wrote it because it's a real treat to hear! It remains my favorite (for now).
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

HIPster

Quote from: Carlo Gesualdo on December 05, 2019, 02:48:36 PM
Hosokawa symphony 1-3

This is thee pleasure platter of tonight, hey?

I drank some stout beer two can but I chugged them away, to be feeling not drunk...for Christ sake, for heaven sake, for Jesus, have a stout whit me Jesus.

Than what on the menu renaissance or early baroque bisque.

Very obscure name Hessen-Kassel, jeez never heard of this fellows, I discovered this among my purchase my memory very bad.
Cheers, Carlo Gesualdo:)

Please post whatever Renaissance or Baroque you are listening to.  I would love to see what you are spinning. . .

Along those lines, now playing:

[asin]B0143R4GOG[/asin]

Simply stunning.  Performance and recorded sound are top drawer.  My go-to holiday spirit album this year.  ;)
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

André

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 05, 2019, 03:47:56 PM

Symphonies 1 & 3

I had to revisit the 1st Symphony to try if I could change my mind about it. And effectively it was so. First of all, this is an utterly electrifying interpretation that did justice to the dramatic nature of the work. Upon hearing it I realised that certain composers' music sound more convincing if played relatively fast as in this work (something that doesn't happen with Nielsen, for instance, for me, anyway). I recall hearing some slow performances of it that put me off. Clearly this symphony is one of those examples in which the final movement is the best.

The 3rd is a different beast, more carefree, warmer, even burlesque, unabashedly late-Romantic featuring some spellbinding orchestration. Some state that this work doesn't have memorable melodies, that is a wrong appreciation methinks. The Neoclassical touch appears in the 3rd movement. Rachmaninoff had to have fun when wrote it because it's a real treat to hear! It remains my favorite (for now).

Great works indeed, and great performances - possibly Ashkenazy's most inspired outing as a conductor.

TD:

More unusual and excellently crafted works by Genzmer. The sonata for cello and harp is a winner. There's also a concerto for harp and string orchestra, a solo cello sonata and a brief but hauntingly beautiful Klagelied (Song of lament) for cello and 6 harps.

jess

Olga Neuwirth ...miramondo multiplo... via spotify. Nice stuff, this, very lyrical and songlike trumpet writing.

Gurn Blanston

Not only great music, but wonderfully well performed, also. Haydn & Mozart both recognized Michael Haydn's strength: possibly the finest sacred music composer of the time.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Carlo Gesualdo

I'm listening to the wonderful Schutz psalm David, well done well brewed naxos, one of my favorite naxos offerings, early Baroque is quite captivating, and this Jean Guyot if you don't like the ensemble you may or may not like this I find it fabulous, ending the night my Trabaci keyboard works hmm jeez hmm supremo!

ChopinBroccoli

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 05, 2019, 03:47:56 PM

Symphonies 1 & 3

Although he unfortunately observes the big cut Rachmaninoff inexplicably made in the second, Eugene Ormandy did my favorite cycle of of those symphonies.  Hard to imagine a more ideal orchestra for all the lush string arrangements and colorful ornamentation than Ormandy's Philadelphians

I did like this set, too
"If it ain't Baroque, don't fix it!"
- Handel

André

From the Colin Davis « symphonies » big box. Why these serenades for strings have been included is a mystery. Davis recorded plenty of other symphonies on Philips that are NOT included in this box: Mozart 38, 41 (BBCSO), Beethoven 1-6, 8, (BBCSO) Schubert 9 (BSO), Haydn 86-88 (RCOA) and probably some more - after all, along with Haitink he was the label's star conductor. So, why the serenades for strings ? In any case both performances are among the very best in the box, thanks in no small part to the BRSO's wonderfully supple body of strings: luminous, ample yet delicate, impeccably disciplined. Very, very nice.

Mirror Image

Quote from: 2dogs on December 05, 2019, 08:23:56 AM
Oh, Britten didn't stick around long :o.

As Andrei (Florestan) correctly pointed out, my avatars change a lot. But Debussy has probably been my most consistent one for the past two or three years. This composer's music has meant so much to me that I even have a framed photo of him hanging on my wall in my room. I suppose there's something to be said for this.

Mirror Image

Debussy
Estampes, L 108
Youri Egorov, piano

jess

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 05, 2019, 06:27:46 PM
As Andrei (Florestan) correctly pointed out, my avatars change a lot. But Debussy has probably been my most consistent one for the past two or three years. This composer's music has meant so much to me that I even have a framed photo of him hanging on my wall in my room. I suppose there's something to be said for this.
when is Sculthorpe coming back, John? ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: jess on December 05, 2019, 06:50:25 PM
when is Sculthorpe coming back, John? ;D

Hah! Probably never. :) I think Debussy will be up for awhile. I should really keep him up anyway since I have the strongest affection for his music.

Que

Quote from: HIPster on December 05, 2019, 03:54:22 PM
Along those lines, now playing:

[asin]B0143R4GOG[/asin]

Simply stunning.  Performance and recorded sound are top drawer.  My go-to holiday spirit album this year.  ;)

Because of your recommendation last year, I wishlisted it!  :)
Unfortunately haven't found it for a reasonable price yet...and time is running out.

Q

Que

Morning listening:

[asin]B004I65D8G[/asin]
Beautiful music by John Cooper aka Coprario (c. 1570 – 1626).
The singing by a young (29) Emma Kirkby is simply gorgeous.  :)
To my relief, the Decca Australia issue does includes brief liner notes & full texts (in English only).

Q

Irons

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 05, 2019, 07:26:29 AM
Elgar
"Enigma" Variations
Lenny

Vienna

With that legendary, exquisitely drawn-out "Nimrod."

Bet he loved it and wanted to savour every moment.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on December 05, 2019, 10:45:00 AM
Shostakovich: Symphony No. 8 [Haitink]

This is a terrific presentation of this bleak, turbulent, agitated and unsettling music.

Absolutely! I heard Haitink conduct this work live in London. It was a great evening.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: André on December 05, 2019, 05:04:27 PM

From the Colin Davis « symphonies » big box. Why these serenades for strings have been included is a mystery. Davis recorded plenty of other symphonies on Philips that are NOT included in this box: Mozart 38, 41 (BBCSO), Beethoven 1-6, 8, (BBCSO) Schubert 9 (BSO), Haydn 86-88 (RCOA) and probably some more - after all, along with Haitink he was the label's star conductor. So, why the serenades for strings ? In any case both performances are among the very best in the box, thanks in no small part to the BRSO's wonderfully supple body of strings: luminous, ample yet delicate, impeccably disciplined. Very, very nice.

I love both serenades and would rather listen to them then quite a few of the more substantial works you mention. Suppose that makes me a musical lightweight.  :D
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Bridge: Suite for String Orchestra.

Early (1910) before Bridge changed his musical course, the Suite is a typical and very good example of English music for strings.

No mention in conductor bio included in the notes, but I wonder if that is the same Braithwaite who made so many good records for Lyrita in the 1970's.

Maestro267

Myaskovsky: Symphony No. 13
Ural Youth SO/Rudin

I was considerably more receptive to this symphony this time round compared to my first listen. I guess I wasn't prepared for the loudest, climactic moment to be in the first half, with the second half being fairly quiet.

Saint-Saëns: Symphony No. 3 ("Organ")
Zamkochian (organ)/Boston SO/Munch