What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnotherSpin, Maestro267 (+ 1 Hidden) and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Madiel

Faure songs, alternate universe...

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Que

Listening to the 2nd disc:

[asin]B0791ZXWDX[/asin]

Q

Christo

Quote from: Daverz on December 15, 2019, 03:04:58 PM
We are dispatching our official listening monitors to your home now. <whistle> Ears forward and stop squirming!

I concur on the quality of the Borowicz series so far.  The "Mountain King" suite coupled with the 3rd is also very good.  I think I'll listen to the Uppsalla Rhapsody now...

Thanks, much appreciated.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Harry

Quote from: Que on December 16, 2019, 12:48:46 AM
It's my first listen!  :)
But I definitely warmed up to this pan European Basel-based ensemble. I like their style & sound: precise, sober but not too cool, with just the right amount of blending. Excellent recording from 1999 by the WDR.

This is my 1st recording by them, to my embarrassment. High time to get those boxsets on ARCANA that other members frequently parade around with...  :D

Anyway, here is the content & liner notes:
http://www.sonusantiqva.org/i/F/Ferrara/1999NortherneWynde.html

The recording gets a positive but qualified recommendation by E.L. Wisty, one of the better Early Music reviewers on Amazon. David Vernier, on the other hand, has nothing but high praise: https://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-8995/

The Ferrara Ensemble did another disc with Frye, Dunstable et. called " The Whyte Rose". Wishlisted that.  :)

Q

It has gone on my order list, for it is indeed well sung. I did not like all their recordings though. The White Rose however is in the same level, so I wishlisted that one too, but that one is expensive and very difficult to get.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on December 16, 2019, 01:37:31 AM
It has gone on my order list, for it is indeed well sung. I did not like all their recordings though. The White Rose however is in the same level, so I wishlisted that one too, but that one is expensive and very difficult to get.

Thank you for your thoughts, I will sample before proceeding. :)
The ensemble was founded in 1983, so I imagine there have been changes over time.

Q

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on December 16, 2019, 12:28:16 AM
Howells: Elegy for Viola, String Quartet and String Orchestra.

Coincidental or not but I seem to listening to a lot of works featuring a string quartet with string orchestra lately. Clearly based on RVW Thomas Tallis - when hearing the Fantasia for the first time Howells said "neither he or Ivor Gurney could not sleep the night after hearing it".
Yes, didn't they spend the night pacing around the streets of Gloucester in a state of spiritual excitement?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Que

Trying to make a sizeable dent in the pile of recordings still waiting for a 1st listening:

[asin]B002KUZBCA[/asin]
Q

vandermolen

'Variations on Frère Jacques'
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on December 16, 2019, 03:11:07 AM
'Variations on Frère Jacques'

You mean: like the third movement of Mahler's First (but in minor, here)? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c1RDalpXuA
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on December 16, 2019, 03:33:42 AM
You mean: like the third movement of Mahler's First (but in minor, here)? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c1RDalpXuA
Yes, that's right. I'd forgotten about the Mahler!  ::)

Harry

Georg Bohm.
Complete Organ Works, CD III.
Hans Davidsson, Organ.

First in my top 10 recordings I bought this year. Such a gem is not often surfacing.
An absolute must, indispensably!

ritter

Some recent acquisitions  :).

Earlier this morning, CD 2 of Jean Doyen's set of Fauré's piano music (I bought this to complement the other complete set I own, that of Jean Hubeau--also on Erato):

[asin]B000001Z3C[/asin]
The CD includes the last Nocturne, the Ballade op. 19, the Thème et variations op. 73, the Romances sans paroles op 17, and the Préludes op. 103. More and more I am convinced that these late preludes are Fauré at the top of his game. Excellent performances by Hubeau (who makes the perpetuum mobile at the beginning of the second prelude sound much more "right" than any other performance I've heard).

[asin]B07Z74DLJZ[/asin]
So far, just into the first movement of Hahn's SQ No. 2 in F major, which is sounding really lovely. Perfect textures from the Noga Quartet, and a very "classical" approach to the music (which fits it perfectly).

vandermolen

Yoshimatsu Symphony No.2 'At terra':
1-3 are my favourites of the Yoshimatsu symphonies:

Traverso

Mozart

String quartets KV515 & KV614

aligreto

Mozart: Die Zauberflote [von Karajan]

I am a fan of von Karajan but not in Mozart. Here he makes this work sound like something that it is not, i.e. Grand Opera.

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on December 16, 2019, 12:10:52 AM

Nice set.

Cheers. One that I do not enjoy as often as I should to be honest.

Maestro267

Martinu: Symphony No. 5
Bamberg SO/N. Järvi

Korngold: Symphony in F sharp major
BBC PO/Downes

Harry

Ferdinand Ries.
Piano concertos, Volume V.

Nice enough concerts, but not earth shattering. Just nice.
Good performances and sound.