What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 22, 2020, 04:28:05 AM
Starting a proper full run (as good as maiden) through a Bax symphony cycle :

No.1 - Myer Fredman / London Phil. Orch.

[asin]B000027QWX[/asin]
Two great recordings!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 21, 2020, 07:33:48 PM
Britten
Four Sea Interludes & Passacaglia from "Peter Grimes"
Previn
LSO

[asin]B00LO2KJ5O[/asin]

A stunning performance! I don't listen to these works too often, but I have to concur with Roasted Swan that they do make a rather nice orchestral suite. This is a 24-bit remaster Japanese issue and it sounds superb.

One of my very favourite Britten CDs (great cover art as well) although I don't possess the super-duper Japanese pressing.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 22, 2020, 07:17:30 AM
And a very good Holst Planets coupled with a superb Grainger The Warriors.

Sarge

Oi ! Sarge ! Don't you start posting some British composers recommendations as well ! you've done enough damage on Mahler alone at this end already !!  >:D :laugh:

hmm...not tried any Grainger yet....  0:)

(edit: Grainger is not British, nevermind  :-[   0:))
Olivier

Karl Henning

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 22, 2020, 07:37:05 AM
Oi ! Sarge ! Don't you start posting some British composers recommendations as well ! you've done enough damage on Mahler alone at this end already !!  >:D :laugh:

hmm...not tried any Grainger yet....  0:)

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on January 22, 2020, 07:25:39 AM
Two great recordings!

Bax 1 was so good I played it twice.  :)

Is it me or is there something that sounds a bit like the Star Wars Imperial March just 2 minutes in the first movement  ?  :-\
Olivier

SonicMan46

Quote from: André on January 21, 2020, 06:58:40 PM
Thanks, Dave! I have 2 integral sets, the Mastroprimiano (PI) and the Spada (on a modern piano). Both are very fine but I have a feeling that Mastroprimiano is more to my liking (no side by side comparison for me though  ;)). In any case, it's the works that count and I cannot recommend dipping into any set - or individual disc - enough.

Hi André - thanks for the comments - still listening today to both keyboardists in my possession - hard to go wrong w/ either one (and when available in good performances, I always like to have PI & MI versions; of course where appropriate).  Also reviewing Clementi offerings at  Amazon USA, has been a LOT of KB recordings over the years, including 4 Vols. on Naxos w/ Susan Alexander-Max (1942-2016) on fortepiano - don't know much about her?  Also, found this 8-CD Brilliant box of piano chamber works w/ Pietro Spada - not sure that I need/want yet another Clementi box but would be curious about its contents from anyone who knows these recordings.  Dave

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 22, 2020, 07:27:45 AM
One of my very favourite Britten CDs (great cover art as well) although I don't possess the super-duper Japanese pressing.

Indeed, Jeffrey. I've always had a high opinion of this recording (and his recording of Spring Symphony as well).

Mirror Image

Coming off the high from Gloriana, I'll follow it up with orchestral suite from this opera. From this outstanding recording:

steve ridgway

Varese - Deserts.

[asin] B00005MFGX[/asin]

San Antone

André

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 22, 2020, 08:03:29 AM
Hi André - thanks for the comments - still listening today to both keyboardists in my possession - hard to go wrong w/ either one (and when available in good performances, I always like to have PI & MI versions; of course where appropriate).  Also reviewing Clementi offerings at  Amazon USA, has been a LOT of KB recordings over the years, including 4 Vols. on Naxos w/ Susan Alexander-Max (1942-2016) on fortepiano - don't know much about her?  Also, found this 8-CD Brilliant box of piano chamber works w/ Pietro Spada - not sure that I need/want yet another Clementi box but would be curious about its contents from anyone who knows these recordings.  Dave

I also have these individual discs which IMO are excellent starting points to discover Clementi:

One each of opuses 13, 25, 40 and 50. Superb.

One each from opuses 13, 24, 25 and 37. Played on a 1795 viennese fortepiano  :P.

This one too is a big favourite, played on a Clementi fortepiano:

It all started some 10-12 years ago when Gurn sent me a copy of this one  :D:

San Antone

Symphony No. 2 "The Age of Anxiety"
Jean-Yves Thibaudet, Marin Alsop, Baltimore Symphony Orchestra

I can't decide if I like this version better than the Zimerman/Rattle account.  I've never been a fan of Simon Rattle, and Marin Alsop usually is an excellent Bernstein interpreter.  Finally, Thibaudet has a real affinity for American composers, I think highy of his Rhapsody in Blue, and as I expect will be his playing this Bernstein work.

Mirror Image

Fresh from the mailbox -

Britten
String Quartet No. 3, Op. 94
Endellion String Quartet

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Bloch
pf quintet # 1
Martha Argerich & friends

Really like this piece
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

San Antone

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 22, 2020, 11:23:50 AM
How didyou like it?

Fantastic work!  Wuorinen is among my favorite composers, and here lately I've been going back over his works.  Fun journey.

André

The first movement is a big symphony unto itself. But there's more! I liked the second movement, though not as much as the first. The finale is ho-hum, until the impressive concluding funeral march.

Mirror Image

Fresh from the mailbox -

Britten
Serenade for Tenor, Horn & Strings, Op. 31
Richard Watkins (horn), Allan Clayton (tenor)
Aldeburgh Strings
Markus Däunert

Stunning!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A bit about this recording:

This international ensemble of crack musicians reveals the next generation's star soloists; led by violinist Markus Däunert (leader of the Mahler Chamber Orchestra), they deliver fresh and energetic performances of some of Britten's finest music for string ensemble.

This recording is the conclusion of projects celebrating Britten's centenary in 2013, at which Aldeburgh Strings performed the closing concert in Britten's musical home of Snape Maltings.

The recording opens with Young Apollo, a radiant, expressive, characterful and dramatic work, featuring pianist Lorenzo Soulès.

The Lachrymae subtitled 'reflections on a song of Dowland' explores the viola's intensely mellow sonorities; Máté Szücs (Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra) is the soloist.

The Prelude and Fugue finds Britten indulging in the exuberant technical wizardry of his youthful period whilst recalling Bach's sophisticated contrapuntal textures.

To close, one of the great masterpieces of Britten's cannon: the Serenade for Tenor, Horn and Strings. The award-winning tenor Allan Clayton and horn player Richard Watkins are the soloists, the latter reprising his role 30 years after first performing it with Peter Pears.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SonicMan46

Corelli, Arcangelo - Op. 5 & 6 w/ Wallfisch (Convivium) in the Op. 5 Violin Sonatas, Avison Ensemble in the Op. 6 Concerti Grossi, and Stefan Temmingh w/ Olga Watts on recorder/harpsichord in an alternate version of Op. 5; also own Corelli's Op. 1-4 w/ the Avison Ensemble, together comprising virtually all of his compositions.  Dave

Mirror Image

Bernstein
Three Dance Episodes from "On the Town"
Bernstein
NY Phil.