What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akebergv (+ 1 Hidden) and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

aligreto

Mozart: Serenade for Wind Instruments K.388 [LA Chamber Orchestra Winds]

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 24, 2020, 11:03:21 AM
Well, today and likely tomorrow, I'll be spending time w/ the composer below:

Czerny, Carl (1791-1857) - own just a dozen discs or so - first 4 up for a listen below - his list of compositions adds up to 861 Opus numbers, but many have multiple items and he also has 'unpublished' works - Dave

Very nice Dave. Czerny is a composer that I would like to explore more. I only have one CD and that is

I would be interested in pursuing the Piano Trios CD

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on January 24, 2020, 08:07:37 AM
Not as much as the music  ;D

Makes me think of Laurie Anderson's jest, "The Difficult Listening Hour."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: aligreto on January 24, 2020, 11:43:36 AM

Very nice Dave. Czerny is a composer that I would like to explore more. I only have one CD and that is

I would be interested in pursuing the Piano Trios CD

Hi Aligreto - love the natural horn/fortepiano disc - as you likely know, Czerny was quite the 19th century piano pedagogue, evident by the Wiki quote and pic below (from my previous link) - my wife took piano for many years and played a bunch of Czerny's pieces, so his piano composition varied from simple 'lessons' to much more - most of the rest of his recordings that I own relate to the piano, including two of the three 2-CD volumes of solo sonatas w/ Martin Jones, maybe a purchase?  Dave  (P.S. click on the images for enlargement, esp. the 'piano family tree'!)

aligreto

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 24, 2020, 11:57:56 AM
Makes me think of Laurie Anderson's jest, "The Difficult Listening Hour."

That it was, Karl.

aligreto

Quote from: SonicMan46 on January 24, 2020, 12:04:45 PM
Hi Aligreto - love the natural horn/fortepiano disc - as you likely know, Czerny was quite the 19th century piano pedagogue, evident by the Wiki quote and pic below (from my previous link) - my wife took piano for many years and played a bunch of Czerny's pieces, so his piano composition varied from simple 'lessons' to much more - most of the rest of his recordings that I own relate to the piano, including two of the three 2-CD volumes of solo sonatas w/ Martin Jones, maybe a purchase?  Dave  (P.S. click on the images for enlargement, esp. the 'piano family tree'!)

Thank you for that Dave.

Christo

Quote from: Maestro267 on January 24, 2020, 09:48:14 AM
Vaughan Williams: Symphony No. 6 Bournemouth SO/Bakels

Tippett: Piano Concerto  Ogdon (piano)/Philharmonia Orchestra/C. Davis

Butterworth: Symphony No. 1  Munich SO/Bostock

All three fine, but great that you appreciate Kees Bakels' unfinished Vaughan Williams symphonies cycle; one of the finest, far better overall, at least fresh and daring, than the more well-known by his compatriot Bernard Haitink IMHO.  :)

Quote from: "Harry" on January 24, 2020, 12:48:29 AM
Richard Arnell is one of my favourite British composers. Found so much comfort and musical satisfaction in his compositions.
Enjoy.

+ 1. Did you ever try his 'Baroque Prelude and Fantasia Op. 34' for organ (officially from 1948, but written in wartime in a basement, IIRC from an earlier fine recording no longer available)? Very memorable, I remembered everything of it after forty years.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Madiel

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on January 24, 2020, 06:04:46 AM
And then, there are the layers of kitsch added by Baz Luhrmann's gratuitous use of "Roxanne" in his "Revolutionary Spectacular," "Moulin Rouge"

Best part of the movie!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Imogen Cooper's first go round with Schubert.

She's currently opening with the Sonata in G, D894, and she's doing it very nicely thank you.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

André

Jean-Michel Damase: sonata for flute and harp; second piano concerto; symphony. Extremely well-crafted works all, but the symphony stands out for its melodic freshness.

SimonNZ

JBS

Tonight's program
[asin]B07WHMR5XZ[/asin]
[asin]B07VJWYCLC[/asin]
CD "12" [really 3rd CD; the count is continuous from the Sonatas set]
Seven sets of variations, WoO numbers 63-66 and 68-70
[asin]B07S86JR6Y[/asin]
CD 5
Four symphonies, MH numbers 23, 25, 26, 37
Performed by Savaria Baroque Orchestra,  Pal Nemeth conductor.
The copyright information reveals these were originally Hungaraton recordings.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

First proper listen to Michael Endres' Schubert is to the disc with D557, D566, D575 and D664.

Impressions a couple of sonatas in are fairly positive, though these aren't the greatest or most searching things in Schubert's catalogue.

Christo

Quote from: André on January 24, 2020, 05:41:38 PM
Jean-Michel Damase: sonata for flute and harp; second piano concerto; symphony. Extremely well-crafted works all, but the symphony stands out for its melodic freshness.

+1, the symphony is a miracle. Thanks to all of you (Kyle especially because he kept spreading the gospel) for attending me.  ;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Tsaraslondon

Disc 2

Symphony no 2 in C minor

State Academic Symphony Orchestra - Evgeni Svetlanov

This set is absolutely gorgeous. I didn't really know the Scriabin symphonies that well but now I'm hooked.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Irons

Shostakovich: 6 Preludes & Fugues.

A monumental set. The life-affirming No.15 is the one for me.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Ratliff

Mention of Askenazy's retirement from public performance prompted me to listen to his recording of Mozart Piano Concert No 25 in C. Just a great performance. The finale, particularly the close, is the thrilling ride it should be.

Was inspired to listen to some other extroverted Mozart, the serenade in E-flat for harmonium, recording by the English Concert Winds. Fantastic music

Que

Morning listening through Spotify:

Q