What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

bhodges

Quote from: Traverso on February 14, 2020, 10:03:28 AM
Reinbert de Leeuw died at 81 r.i.p.

Quote from: Traverso on February 14, 2020, 10:33:15 AM
Goebaidoelina

Jetzt Immer Schnee

Perception

Such sad news. This is one of his best recordings, too.

--Bruce

Traverso

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 14, 2020, 10:49:29 AM
A Master!

He was certainly a musician who could make people enthusiastic and introduce them into new sound worlds.
Listening to him when he spoke about music was always fascinating and educational.
He was genuinely surprised that most people could not enjoy modern music, it was for him
no different than Beethoven or Mozart.
His conversations about the composers with whom he had collaborated, for example Messiaen for whom he had great admiration, have been eye openers for me.
You knew that someone was speaking here who knew what he was talking about without showing the authority he undoubtedly was.
In this respect, he has also been a guide to me

Traverso

Quote from: Brewski on February 14, 2020, 10:54:11 AM
Such sad news. This is one of his best recordings, too.

--Bruce

Yes,I thought it was an appropriate choice

HIPster

Quote from: Traverso on February 14, 2020, 11:14:45 AM
He was certainly a musician who could make people enthusiastic and introduce them into new sound worlds.
Listening to him when he spoke about music was always fascinating and educational.
He was genuinely surprised that most people could not enjoy modern music, it was for him
no different than Beethoven or Mozart.
His conversations about the composers with whom he had collaborated, for example Messiaen for whom he had great admiration, have been eye openers for me.
You knew that someone was speaking here who knew what he was talking about without showing the authority he undoubtedly was.
In this respect, he has also been a guide to me
Well said Traverso

RIP indeed.

Currently playing:

[asin]B01BTH8T4G[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

San Antone

San Antone

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

André

Recorded in Carnegie Hall on 15 October 1944, barely a year after the work's composition - this was contemporary music back in the day! Despite some technical fallibilities the recording is quite good, as good as anything I've heard from that vintage. Rodzinski and the NY Phil really deliver the goods, living dangerously throughout. The central Allegretto is taken at a breakneck speed and erupts manically at the end. The concluding movement is beautifully noble and powerful. One of the reference interpretations for this work with Kondrashin, Rozhdestvensky, Mrawinsky, Sanderling...

André

Good, solid versions. I found the edges slightly blunted. Haitink emphasizes the dourness, the pessimism inherent to Shostakovich's musical language - even when jollity or sarcasm is intended.

Sergeant Rock

In memoriam Reinbert de Leeuw: Gnossienne No. 4

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Christo

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 14, 2020, 01:12:42 PM
Sarge

What made him especially beloved/popular, these last years, were his highly concentrated - with accents and stresses only he dared to lay - of the Matthäus Passion (a 'Dutch passion' anyway, I recall fifteen performances over three or four weeks in my home town of Utrecht alone, sang three myself in two weeks time. E.g. is 'Erbarme dich' on Youtube in memoriam:

https://www.youtube.com/v/hfEn3IpSK3o
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

SonicMan46

Field, John (1782-1837) - Nocturnes & Piano Concertos w/ Miceal O'Rourke on piano + Matthias Bamert/London Mozart Players in the concertos; also have O'Rourke doing the Piano Sonatas - the Field Nocturnes have been a long time favorite of mine (still own the John O'Conor recording bought many years ago) - of course, somewhat of an inspiration for Chopin's Nocturnes.  Dave :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Christo on February 14, 2020, 01:27:45 PM
What made him especially beloved/popular, these last years, were his highly concentrated - with accents and stresses only he dared to lay - of the Matthäus Passion (a 'Dutch passion' anyway, I recall fifteen performances over three or four weeks in my home town of Utrecht alone, sang three myself in two weeks time. E.g. is 'Erbarme dich' on Youtube in memoriam:

https://www.youtube.com/v/hfEn3IpSK3o

Beautiful. A fitting memorial indeed. Thanks for posting this.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Papy Oli

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 14, 2020, 01:12:42 PM

Sarge

*Taps the table very gently and very slowly*
Olivier

Karl Henning

First-Listen Fridays
Berg
Lyric Suite
Alban Berg Quartet

To be sure, I could not say with certainty that I never listened to this before.
But today is the first I gave it undivided attention.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SimonNZ

JBS

CD 26
[asin]B004MGMIA8[/asin]

Halfway through this big box of little treasures. Wonderful how many little gems JSII wrote, compared to how few of them are generally known to audiences.  For instance, of the dozen works on this CD, I have only heard one before (Artist's Life Waltz, Opus 316).

A big thank you to Harry for this set.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!