What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

This was a long shot, but I enjoyed it very much. The Doomsday prophets is an opera in the vein of Meistersinger, where two scholars argue over the exact day the world will end. There are students, town folks, two pairs of lovers, burghers quarrelling over property, etc. Queen Christina makes an end of play appearance to set eveything right. Set in the university city of Uppsala in 1647. Too bad the whole opera was never recorded. Here's some 80 minutes from a radio production recorded (beautifully) in 1980. Unexpected and very fetching stuff.

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Daverz

Quote from: André on February 14, 2020, 04:39:00 PM

This was a long shot, but I enjoyed it very much. The Doomsday prophets is an opera in the vein of Meistersinger, where two scholars argue over the exact day the world will end. There are students, town folks, two pairs of lovers, burghers quarrelling over property, etc. Queen Christina makes an end of play appearance to set eveything right. Set in the university city of Uppsala in 1647. Too bad the whole opera was never recorded. Here's some 80 minutes from a radio production recorded (beautifully) in 1980. Unexpected and very fetching stuff.

Thanks for the report on this obscure music.  I do like P-B's symphonies very much.

Now playing...

Farrenc: Symphony No. 1

[asin] B082JQ64HB[/asin]

First listen to this new recording.  Sounds as wonderful as their recordings of Symphonies 2 & 3.

If you like Schumann and Mendelssohn, you should try to hear Farrenc.

Mirror Image

First-Listen Friday -

Schoenberg
Das Buch der hängenden Gärten, Op. 15
Jan DeGaetani, mezzo-soprano
Gilbert Kalish, piano

vandermolen

Quote from: André on February 14, 2020, 04:39:00 PM

How interesting! It's a great name for an opera. Also a fan of the PB symphonies here, especially symphonies 2,3 and 5.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mookalafalas

Apparently a student of Vivaldi.  Reminds me rather of Telemann.  A great find.
[asin]B082PQXYTP[/asin]
It's all good...

steve ridgway

Boulez : Sur Incises.

[asin] B00004XPU4[/asin]

Que

Que

Morning listening via Spotify:

Q

Harry

Arnold Krug.
String Sextet opus 68.
Piano Quartet opus 16.

Linos Ensemble.

This is without a doubt, one of the best chamber music CD'S I bought in quite a while. Really impressive writing, the opus 68 is a stunner in every respect, but then all the music on this CD is. This will be a long time on my desk for listening purposes.
Really impressive.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Another O'Dette recording via Spotify:

[asin]B079PF13HQ[/asin]
Q

Harry

Quote from: Que on February 15, 2020, 12:11:42 AM
Another O'Dette recording via Spotify:

[asin]B079PF13HQ[/asin]
Q

Good morning Que
Spotify seems to be giving you joy. You certainly try out a lot of things.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Irons

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 14, 2020, 10:52:02 AM
Berg pf Sonata, Op. 1
Donahoe

Four pcs cl/pf
Meyer/Vogt

Two more of the ever growing list of Berg I like. The sonata is not a difficult listen at all.
Barenboim/Pay.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Tsaraslondon

This is one of the last, maybe even the last, recordings Dame Janet made. She was in her late 50s at the time, but the voice was still in fine shape. Perhaps the vibrations had loosened a little in the almost 40 years she had been singing professionally, but she was remarkably consistent for a very long time and never really made a bad record.

This is no exception. She brings her customary intelligence, musical specificity and beauty of tone to two rare Respighi songs, set to Italian translations of Shelley poems, Aretusa and Il Tramonto.

The other pieces on the disc are equally desirable, the Lauda per la Nativita del Signore particularly charming. Here the solo voices are Patricia Rosario, Louise Winter and Lynton Atkinson with the Richard Hickox Singers.

Hickox and the City of London Sinfonia provide excellent support. A lovely disc.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Christo

A Mahler to my liking: #nonpatholigical #RogerNorrington  0:)

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all  :)

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 14, 2020, 05:50:22 AM
Ralph Vaughan Williams - 5th Symphony
(Handley)

Again.  0:)
Olivier

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Traverso

Kagel

This recording is a very beautiful one, alternating in all its colorful fantasies,very good sound!

Christo

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 15, 2020, 04:15:19 AM

Quote from: Papy Oli on Today at 07:41:39 AM
*Taps the table very gently and very slowly*
;)

Sarge

All the tough ponding certainly did little good to an old wooden table in Boston.  ???
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

San Antone

Quote... this 3-CD Set is a milestone in the documentation of Hungarian composer György Kurtág's s work and also a labour of love.  It brings together all of Kurtàg's works for ensemble and for ensemble and choir. The insightful and precise performances bear witness to extensive preparation by the dedicated Asko/Schoenberg Ensemble. Conductor Reinbert de Leeuw  speaks of "learning Kurtág's oeuvre step by step, and performing these pieces repeatedly over a period of twenty years."  De Leeuw consulted extensively with György and Márta Kurtág before and after each session: "There were moments when I was overwhelmed at first hearing", says the famously-demanding Kurtág, "and we could embrace the result immediately. But sometimes we were critical. The fact that Reinbert always listened to our remarks and re-recorded fragments or even whole pieces makes this publication authentic."

Great set, phenomenally well done.