What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: listener on February 20, 2020, 02:37:46 PM
GLIÈRE: Symphony no.3  "Ilya Murometz"
a lot of notes with true epic sense and running a little over 72 minutes, but a sweat producer for a normal-size romantic orchestra
Leon Botstein cond.   London S.O.

Fixed.  ;)
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

amw

Starting with the Fantasy. It's very good, and Son's aesthetic here goes beyond her usual ultra-clear articulation to allow for some properly placed blurring of the lines, and a measure of romantic melancholia. This may end up being one of the better recordings of this piece. (I will have to compare it to the other... uh... 25 that I own.) ((Anda, Anderszewski, Argerich, 3x Arrau, 1x Ashkenazy, Biss, Bolet, Ciocarlie, Dalberto, 1x Demus, 1x Fiorentino, 2x Fischer, Glemser, Hamelin, Kosuge, Lévinas, Pollini, Rosen, le Sage, Schiff, Uchida, Uhlig. I really should get rid of some of them))

edit: notably, joins Schiff and Rosen in the fairly exclusive club of pianists restoring Schumann's original ending from the manuscript in place of the shorter ending in the first edition.

Carlo Gesualdo

Tonight I,m listening to a triology (kind of), behold Gombert 1-2-3 by the sound and the fury ensemble, fabulous ensemble, fantastic rendition of Gombert works, ORF is a prestigious label and those releases are a living proof of this.

Very amazing albums, perhaps the best Gombert out there , they are gold medalist of renaissance  music, follow whit decent silver  Beauty Farm. I guess they have a reputation to maintain, excellence of polyphony of Franco-Flemish masters, let's hail the sound and the fury and Beauty Farm for great achievement.

Great music for tonight and perhaps I'm expecting a good friend of mine tonight,  what a wonderful day this is, goodnight folks.

Mirror Image

The Mass from this fabulous recording:

R.I.P., Maestro Leeuw

Mirror Image

More Stravinsky -

Duo concertant
Gringolts, Laul

I'm absolutely in love with this work. Of all the chamber pieces I've heard Stravinsky, this is one that always stood out to me, although, to be fair, he really composed some incredible chamber music overall. We're lucky to have as much as we have from him.

Christo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on February 20, 2020, 02:51:10 PM
with true epic sense, a bit dependent on the right performance
Fixed. 2x ;)  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 20, 2020, 10:44:08 AM
Quite interesting!  I found a couple of postings of it on youtube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFpCKKcWMFY

I listened to some of it....hope to revisit it later tonight.  :-)

How did you hear about this composer Jeffrey?

PD
PD
I expect that I impulse bought it having been intrigued by the striking cover of the Naxos release, also being intrigued that he'd written a football inspired work 'Galatasaray' after his favourite team! By the way the piano work on the Argo CD ('Remembering Lycia' - which I thought was a person but is actually a place) is very powerful and, at times, eloquent as well. I only listened to it properly last night. If you want 'Fall of Constantinople' either disc is recommendable, (
or both in my case  ::)):

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on February 20, 2020, 11:34:49 AM
In the meantime, still playing discs from the growing pile in front of me, a fine & welcome addition to the select Goossens' discography, only the second recording of his Second Symphony (1945), a job conductor Sir Andrew Davis is well suited for. Recommended.

+1 great disc.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on February 20, 2020, 11:39:18 AM
How does it compare to the one we all possess, the Istanbul forces - of course not an 'American', but an American nationality Turkish composer - performance on Naxos, I mean?

Oh, I like both of them Johan. I think that the Naxos made more impact on me but that was my first encounter with the work. Both performances are great as far as I'm concerned but the Argo is worth having for 'Remembering Lycia' for Piano and Orchestra. Also, having visited the beautiful Haghia Sophia in Istanbul not long before was another reason why this symphony intrigued me so much. The movement in the symphony which is influenced by Haghia Sophia is a poetic contrast to the crash-bang-wallop of the rest of the symphony (which also appeals to me).

ritter

I spent some hours last Sunday in the composer's birthtown, Parma, and am now listening for the first time to Ildebrando Pizzetti's  Symphony in A, from 1940.

[asin]B06XWTF2HN[/asin]
A fine work.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on February 20, 2020, 06:46:02 AM
There was a whole song-and-dance about that box Lol. I constantly had to measure the Warner Miaskovsky box which features additional CDs due to the other orchestral works. Then they realised that what they had ordered was too small, so back to the drawing board! I'm glad you're pleased with it.

Now playing:
Glazunov Symphony No.3 - one of the best of the cycle I think:

I have read a lot of criticism regarding production of the Warner box and notes, Jeffrey. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Shostakovitch: 11th Symphony.

I like to play this loud. >:D
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Harry

Joseph Haydn.
Complete Baryton Trios.
No.88-95.
CD 13.
Esterhazy Ensemble.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

ritter

More Italian orchestral music.

First listen to any music by Luigi Mancinelli (1848-1921).

[asin]B00BGB3YSC[/asin]
So far, the Scene veneziane is proving most enjoyable. Very atmospheric, and nicely orchestrated. I've also bought the composer's short oper Paolo e Francesca, so we'll see how that side of his output is.

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vandermolen

Quote from: ritter on February 21, 2020, 12:20:33 AM
I spent some hours last Sunday in the composer's birthtown, Parma, and am now listening for the first time to Ildebrando Pizzetti's  Symphony in A, from 1940.

[asin]B06XWTF2HN[/asin]
A fine work.
+1

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on February 21, 2020, 12:20:40 AM
I have read a lot of criticism regarding production of the Warner box and notes, Jeffrey.

Yes, they mislabelled the contents so it looked like Symphony No.23 was missing (which it wasn't) and there was some other mix up as well. There were hardly any notes at all in that set.

That Kondrashin recording of Shostakovich's 11th Symphony is a great one and my first encounter with the work. Playing it loud is a good idea! I like the cover art too although it relates to the Revolution of 1917 rather than to 1905 (Pedant's Corner!  ::))

Thread duty:
Ippolitov-Ivanov
'From Ossian's Songs'

And now (again) 'Fall of Constantinople':

Traverso

Traverso

Traverso

Messiaen & Boulez

Trois petites liturgies de la Présence divine
Live recording
Concertzaal Tilburg 2002

Rituel
Live recording VPRO Concertgebouw Amsterdam  2002

In Amsterdam today we say goodbye to conductor and composer Reinbert de Leeuw. He died last week at the age of 81. At 11 am a farewell meeting started in Muziekgebouw aan het IJ. This afternoon the funeral is at Zorgvlied Cemetery, in the south of the city. Interested parties can attend both occasions.

De Leeuw was co-founder of the Schönberg Ensemble, the current Asko / Schönberg Ensemble. With that he performed for 45 years and he received many prizes.

An unconditional belief in music