What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Galuppi, Baldassare (1706-1785) - Keyboard Sonatas - on harpsichord in the 4-CD set and a variety of instruments in the other disc shown below; also have several discs of his chamber works - Galuppi was born in Venice and was prolific and versatile, composing 100 or so operas, religious works, and instrumental pieces, including about 130 keyboard sonatas - well traveled and quite popular in his day - reviews attached for those interested.  Dave :)

Florestan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 22, 2020, 06:45:46 AM
Galuppi, Baldassare (1706-1785) - Keyboard Sonatas - on harpsichord in the 4-CD set and a variety of instruments in the other disc shown below; also have several discs of his chamber works - Galuppi was born in Venice and was prolific and versatile, composing 100 or so operas, religious works, and instrumental pieces, including about 130 keyboard sonatas - well traveled and quite popular in his day - reviews attached for those interested.  Dave :)

I love these sonatas but not on the harpsichord. Matteo Napoli (Naxos, 3 volumes) and Peter Seivewright (Divine Art, 3 volumes) on the piano are much more to my liking.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

prémont

Quote from: Florestan on February 22, 2020, 06:52:02 AM
I love these sonatas but not on the harpsichord. Matteo Napoli (Naxos, 3 volumes) and Peter Seivewright (Divine Art, 3 volumes) on the piano are much more to my liking.

That was to be expected.  :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

vers la flamme

Jean Sibelius: Symphony No.7 in C major, op.105. Herbert von Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic. I am still grappling with Karajan's Sibelius, & I don't quite enjoy it as much as I love Paavo Berglund, Petri Sakari, or Vladimir Ashkenazy in Sibelius. But he is an interpreter of this composer that I believe is essential to understand (speaking personally)—I'm a Karajan fan, he always tends toward an astonishing level of musicianship, despite how his detractors would have it, and Sibelius was a composer close to his heart like no other. If I'm not mistaken, Karajan chose to perform Sibelius' 4th for his inaugural concert as music director of the BPO. He recorded as many Sibelius cycles as Beethoven cycles, though all of his cycles are incomplete: for whatever reason he never recorded the third symphony.

There is beautiful ebb and flow here. The rich '60s Berlin strings really thicken the music beyond what I am used to, but the music itself is durable enough to withstand the interpretation and come out as something good. I love what I'm hearing.

SonicMan46

Hi Andrei - well, I enjoy the recordings but have not heard any on the piano - Spotify has multiple volumes of the two performers above for listening - BTW, in my attachment, Jerry Dubins loved the Ilario Gregoletto performances and the harpsichord used - a somewhat surprise review  from him IMO.  Dave :)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mandryka on February 22, 2020, 03:56:18 AM

Amazing Grace, qt4, it's real ear candy. Most of it it feels like a c19 style set of variations spiced up with microtones, very authoritatively done.  And then about two minutes from the end, it goes to another planet briefly.

The sonorities of this quartet are simply spellbinding. I'm not ashamed to say that this piece brings some tears to my eyes because of the sheer beauty I find on it.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 22, 2020, 07:22:36 AM

Jean Sibelius: Symphony No.7 in C major, op.105. Herbert von Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic. I am still grappling with Karajan's Sibelius, & I don't quite enjoy it as much as I love Paavo Berglund, Petri Sakari, or Vladimir Ashkenazy in Sibelius. But he is an interpreter of this composer that I believe is essential to understand (speaking personally)—I'm a Karajan fan, he always tends toward an astonishing level of musicianship, despite how his detractors would have it, and Sibelius was a composer close to his heart like no other. If I'm not mistaken, Karajan chose to perform Sibelius' 4th for his inaugural concert as music director of the BPO. He recorded as many Sibelius cycles as Beethoven cycles, though all of his cycles are incomplete: for whatever reason he never recorded the third symphony.

There is beautiful ebb and flow here. The rich '60s Berlin strings really thicken the music beyond what I am used to, but the music itself is durable enough to withstand the interpretation and come out as something good. I love what I'm hearing.

The most overwhelming 7th I've ever heard.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Florestan

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 22, 2020, 07:26:42 AM
Hi Andrei - well, I enjoy the recordings but have not heard any on the piano - Spotify has multiple volumes of the two performers above for listening

Hello, Dave. Great, please try them and let us know what you think.

vandermolen

Pettersson: Symphony 7 (Dorati, Stockholm PO) Decca LP
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

San Antone

San Antone

Bach & Sons
Music for violin by J.S. Bach; C.P.E. Bach; W.F. Bach
Amandine Beyer, Edna Stern, Gli Incogniti, Guido Balestracci

Very good compilation, well played and programmed.

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 22, 2020, 06:45:46 AM

Love that set, Dave! :) One of my favourite keyboard discoveries in recent years.

I certainly don't need a piano to enjoy the music...  :laugh:

Q

Mandryka

Ben Johnston Quartet 5 -- a original voice in this quartet, the  incorporation of popular themes is subtle, the single 10 minute long movement is full of major events, twists and turns. A great feeling of mystery sometimes, a mood which made me think of op 131/i. I have a friend who rates these quartets as the most interesting post war C20 cycle -- listening to this, I'm starting to see why.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Iota

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 22, 2020, 04:00:56 AMMake sure to catch his recording of the Trois Sarabandes, if you can.

I shall.

But for now this:

Jonathan Harvey: String Quartet No.1, Arditti Quartet

Splendid! Sparing, witty, and haunting, I liked it so much I put it straight back on. The Arditti, as usual, operating at almost supernatural levels of excellence.

André

When done with the right level of intensity (meaning, bordering on excess) the 8th is a shattering masterpiece. This version joins those of Kondrashin, Rozhdestvensky and Bychkov as one that fills all my expectations. The sound is superb, with fantastic contributions from double basses, bass drum and the gong. And lots of groaning from the conductor, too.

SonicMan46

Hi again Andrei - well, I had a chance this afternoon to listen to the first two volumes of Peter Seivewright performing Galuppi's Sonatas on piano (not sure of the instrument's specifics?) - apparently, 10 volumes are/were planned by Divine Art, but only 4 have been issued (pic below from their website - link given for those interested) - so not sure whether the series will continue?

But, the sonatas sound excellent on piano and received superb Fanfare reviews (attached) - apparently, Galuppi had the fortepiano in mind when composing these works (according to the notes on the website) - the CDs are pricey so will not be a purchase for me but will make a 'Spotify Playlist' and listen to the remaining volumes (and any future ones?); also, in several of the reviews mention was made of Napoli on Naxos - the preference seemed to be for the Divine Art recordings.  Dave :)

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 22, 2020, 01:48:16 PM
[...] apparently, Galuppi had the fortepiano in mind when composing these works (according to the notes on the website) [....]

Interesting!  :)
I could definitely imagine the later sonatas on fortepiano, though I'm not sure if I would prefer it.

Q

Karl Henning

Koechlin
Paysages et Marines, Op. 63 (1915-16)
Korstick

Love these.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

j winter

Schubert 8 & 9, Karajan EMI.  Excellent imo....

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice