What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas, AnotherSpin and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Christo

Quote from: San Antone on March 26, 2020, 05:02:18 AM
My favorite recording of Appalachian Spring.

Great to learn! Always played this cd for the sake of the Barber.  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Harry

Bedrich Smetana.
Orchestral Works Volume II.
BBC Philharmonic, Gianandrea Noseda.

I already enthused about the first volume of the series, and when in a Chandos sale on JPC volume II was sold for 4 euros, I ordered it immediately. These sales only last for 2 days and sometimes only 1.
It is always a pleasure to hear The Bartered Bride, (love this title), or the Prelude to "Libuse", but what makes me lyrical is the Act I, Ballet movement from "The Brandenburgers in Bohemia" such a clever composition. The Entr'acte from Dalibor is also a gem. All in all this is a fine follow up, and well performed and recorded.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vers la flamme

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 26, 2020, 05:33:40 AM
Interesting! In my own journey with the Leningrad, it was the middle movements which won me over.  At this point, I've loved the whole symphony forever.

Well, I loved the whole thing this time. Really impressed! Shame I frequently phase between enthusiasm and disinterest with Shostakovich, but for now, enthusiasm reigns.

TD;

Henri Dutilleux: Symphony No.1. Paavo Järvi, Orchestre de Paris

Glad to be finally breaking into this Dutilleux Centenary Edition set. So far, very promising!

not edward

This morning, before work, Rendering, from this disc.

[asin]B0009JAENK[/asin]

Not as good as Chailly's outstanding Sinfonia, but a solid recording all around.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Traverso

Mozart

piano sonatas 11,9,10 & fantasia KV475,397 & rondo KV485

Florestan

^^^ Talk about timing!  :)

Disc 1.

"O Mozart! immortal Mozart! what countless impressions of a brighter, better life hast thou stamped upon our souls!" (Schubert, emphases mine)

Indeedie, most especially in these times.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Papy Oli

Sibelius 5th (Blomstedt).

[asin]B000FOQ1EA[/asin]
Olivier

Biffo

Tveitt: Piano Concerto No 4 Aurora Borealis - Havard Gimse piano with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra conducted by Bjarte Engeset

Kaga2

Continuing with the Buchburger Quartet and Haydn. Op 20

SonicMan46

Kabalevsky, Dmitry (1904-1987) - Piano Concertos, Cello/Violin Concertos, & Piano Sonatas w/ the performers below - going to spend the morning w/ some of these works - prolific Russian composer (list HERE) - surprised that I do not have any of his Symphonies (composed 4) - will take a look on Amazon.  Dave :)

Harry

Quote from: Biffo on March 26, 2020, 06:58:50 AM
Tveitt: Piano Concerto No 4 Aurora Borealis - Havard Gimse piano with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra conducted by Bjarte Engeset

That's a fine recording, I love the music of Tveitt.

Harry

Leopold van der Plas.

Orchestral Works.

Symphony No. 1.
Frühling/Herbst/Wieland der Schmied, Symphonic Poems.

Helsingborg SO, Johannes Goritzki.

Had this CD already quite a while in my collection, but due to all worldly catastrophe's in 2019 and 2020, I was not really able to dive in my collection, but today I did.
Leopold van der Plas is a big unknown to most classical music lovers, and much of his extensive oeuvre was never recorded or performed in concert. He fits in perfectly with the mainstream of his time, but without compromises in the quality of his compositions. He is a good orchestrator, so much is clear when listening to his first symphony. Its counterpoint is complex, and the harmonies hammered out of many micro melodies. The scoring is excellent, particularly for brass, of which there are many examples in movement 1/2 & 4. The third movement is a impressionistic work, and reminded me strongly of Debussy, but van der Plas has his feet more firmly focused to the ground, and therefore is less elusive. As a whole the symphony is a coherent work and firmly rooted in the emotional world of this composer, which to me is a good thing.
The Symphonic Poems though I like best. Slow moving impressionistic/expressionistic jewels, with a romantic glow over it, in which he finds his own voice most assuredly, an entity of three poems, that seems to project his happiness which he nurtured in life. He was a lucky fellow in musical matters, for he knew all the greats of his time, but privately he suffered much when his beloved wife died when she was 34. He had to live on till 66, and carried this immense shock in his equilibrium with him. He has written a couple of symphonies, at least 4 of them, so I hope and urge CPO to record them too.
The performance is good, albeit a little emotionally drained. The sound is very good. 

ritter

It's been ages since I last listened to any Vincent d'Indy...

[asin]B00007GXC2[/asin]

aligreto

Bruckner: Symphony No. 3 [Wand]

This is a powerful, sweeping performance with a huge vista.

Tsaraslondon

Korngold: Suite for 2 violins cello and piano left hand
Schmidt: Quintet in G major for 2 violins, viola, cello and piano left hand

Excellent performances of a couple of rarely performed works. I find the Korngold much more to my taste, but the Schmidt is diverting enough.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

Florestan

Disc 3 of each.

I've always felt that the music of Haydn and Mozart is the epitome of civilization in music but nowadays I have this feeling stronger than ever. Such music is essential to preserve my sanity in these mad and maddening times.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Maestro267

Moyzes: Symphony No. 12
Slovak RSO/Slóvak

Rachmaninov: Symphony No. 1
St. Petersburg PO/Jansons

GioCar

Florestan

Quote from: GioCar on March 26, 2020, 09:05:54 AM

D960 & D946

I hope you and all your loved ones are safe! Warmest wishes from Romania! Take care!

aligreto

Brahms: Schicksalslied [Monteux]

This is a powerful and passionate performance, dark and foreboding and very atmospheric.