What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iota

Recent discussion here of Bernstein's Mass made me get the above disc (with a different cover) out of the Harmonia Sacred box.

I've only heard the Mass live before, about 5 years ago, and I really didn't get on with it at all. This time however was very different, I found it full of musical interest and unexpected and intriguing deviations from norms of Mass setting. It seems a very successful fusion of music theatre with Bernstein's more 'classical' style resulting in an original and convincing work. A very rewarding reappraisal for me.  :)

vandermolen

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 26, 2020, 07:34:52 AM
Kabalevsky, Dmitry (1904-1987) - Piano Concertos, Cello/Violin Concertos, & Piano Sonatas w/ the performers below - going to spend the morning w/ some of these works - prolific Russian composer (list HERE) - surprised that I do not have any of his Symphonies (composed 4) - will take a look on Amazon.  Dave :)

The CPO set of the symphonies is great. My favourites are 4 and 1:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on March 26, 2020, 01:36:35 AM

Korngold's Symphony is a tougher work than his gorgeously romantic Violin Concerto, but not short of wonderfully lyrical melodies. This is a terrific performance by Previn and the LSO.
+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on March 26, 2020, 06:58:50 AM
Tveitt: Piano Concerto No 4 Aurora Borealis - Havard Gimse piano with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra conducted by Bjarte Engeset
That's my favourite work by Tveitt.

vers la flamme

Quote from: Iota on March 26, 2020, 09:14:38 AM

Recent discussion here of Bernstein's Mass made me get the above disc (with a different cover) out of the Harmonia Sacred box.

I've only heard the Mass live before, about 5 years ago, and I really didn't get on with it at all. This time however was very different, I found it full of musical interest and unexpected and intriguing deviations from norms of Mass setting. It seems a very successful fusion of music theatre with Bernstein's more 'classical' style resulting in an original and convincing work. A very rewarding reappraisal for me.  :)

Awesome, glad you enjoyed it. I listened to Bernstein's Mass this past Sunday and loved it. I'll be returning to it for sure.

Karl Henning

Quote from: edward on March 26, 2020, 06:24:57 AM
This morning, before work, Rendering, from this disc.

Not as good as Chailly's outstanding Sinfonia, but a solid recording all around.

Hoy, Edward! Very nice to see you!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Excellent!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Janáček
Glagolská mše
MTT & al.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Iota

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 26, 2020, 09:20:44 AM
Awesome, glad you enjoyed it.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 26, 2020, 09:28:27 AM
Excellent!

Thank you, both! It was quite a conversion for me, and not for the first time, the impetus was the enthusiastic discussion taking place here.  :)

GioCar

Quote from: Florestan on March 26, 2020, 09:08:43 AM
I hope you and all your loved ones are safe! Warmest wishes from Romania! Take care!

We are all fine, thank you. Locked down at home since the 8th of March, so next weekend it will be three weeks.
Hope you and your family are fine as well. Covid-19 cases in Romania are increasing but still a manageable situation, and you've done very well in locking down everything at this stage.

TD

D960

Spineur

Today, the composer I am posting for is Gottfried Heinrich Stölzel, an exact contemporary of Johann Sebastian Bach.  He was a Kapelmeister at the court of Gotha.  Bach knew Stölzel well and performed the two works I am going to present.  He composed https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gottfried_Heinrich_St%C3%B6lzel  more than 300 cantatas, a large body of church music, several operas and some chamber music.  So it is natural to make a parallel with J.-S. Bach.  Today, he is largely unknow in France (and he doenst have his GMG thread..).  It is my interest for Georgy Vashegyi Orfeo orchestra & Purcell Choir which put him on my path.  They recently recorded the oratorio Ein Lammlein geht und trägt die Schuld, which was performed by Bach in Leipzig in his time.  After streaming it, I got the CD.  Like most of his music it is very expressive, as much or more than Bach music and the performance is excellent

I also got his Bröckes passion, which is as the above oratorio quite expressive.  It is one of the major Passion after Bach and Handel's

A CD of his cantatas and his christmas oratorio have also been recorded on CPO.  I havent come accross any of his operas or chamber music.
If you like sacred baroque music, you probably will like his music which is warm and expressive.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on March 26, 2020, 01:36:35 AM

Korngold's Symphony is a tougher work than his gorgeously romantic Violin Concerto, but not short of wonderfully lyrical melodies. This is a terrific performance by Previn and the LSO.

You should check the latest recording of it on Chandos. It's much more intense, exciting. This DG CD would be my 2nd choice.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

JBS

Continuing on with Toscanini's Verdi

From two1949 broadcast performances--on TV, apparently.  That may be why the sound is somewhat better than usual for recordings of that vintage.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

San Antone

So happy that Bernstein's Mass is getting some love on GMG.  Nagano's recording is nice, but the next time you want to listen to Mass, try either Bernstein's original with Alan Titus or Marin Alsop's with Jubilant Sykes on Naxos.

8)

André

j winter

Haydn 26, 52, 53 - Kuijken  Just had about six remote meetings in a row for work, good to unwind a bit.  Very nice indeed...

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

vers la flamme

Joseph Haydn: Mass No.10 in C major, "Missa in tempore belli" or "Paukenmesse". Nikolaus Harnoncourt, Concentus Musicus Wien, Arnold Schoenberg Chor.

Good stuff. Haydn wrote quite beautifully for the voice.

San Antone

SimonNZ

on the radio: Guerrero's Duo Seraphim

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA