What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz, Cato, akebergv and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Kaga2

Quote from: San Antone on March 26, 2020, 01:16:17 PM

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 26, 2020, 01:33:47 PM
Love this.

I like the idea of Astor Piazzolla. The reality never quite lives up to my hopes.

Anyway, Haydn op 20

Daverz

Bernard Rands: Cello Concerto No. 1

[asin] B07MHQ425X[/asin]

Rands is a fine composer who writes in an accessible modern style.  Highly recommended.

André

Bloch's Macbeth (1910). Prologue and Act I. The rest will be after dinner. Powerfully evocative. Gripping.

Live recording from the 1998 German premiere of the work. Sung in the original French.

San Antone

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 26, 2020, 01:33:47 PM
Love this.

I do to, and I just found out that in 2017 the Nashville Opera staged it in some fashion.  Had I followed their programming I would have gone.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Kaga2 on March 26, 2020, 01:36:30 PM
I like the idea of Astor Piazzolla. The reality never quite lives up to my hopes.

Maybe it's like the "Debussystes" killing Debussy.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Iota

Quote from: San Antone on March 26, 2020, 11:27:34 AM
So happy that Bernstein's Mass is getting some love on GMG.  Nagano's recording is nice, but the next time you want to listen to Mass, try either Bernstein's original with Alan Titus or Marin Alsop's with Jubilant Sykes on Naxos.

8)

Thanks for the tip, I will certainly do so on my next visit.  :)

T. D.

Kaga2

Quote from: Daverz on March 26, 2020, 01:42:21 PM
Bernard Rands: Cello Concerto No. 1

[asin] B07MHQ425X[/asin]

Rands is a fine composer who writes in an accessible modern style.  Highly recommended.

Never heard the name. Lots of good composers I have never heard of! I will take a peek at youtube.

On to Haydn op 33, Buchburger Qt.  I think 33 and 20 are probably my favorites. Certainly the ones I know best.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

The Bruckner Sixth in a rebroadcast of the BSO live.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Symphonic Addict

Symphony No. 2

Once again I'm in sheer delight with this riveting symphony. When Weingartner is inspired, the music flows effortlessly.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Daverz

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on March 26, 2020, 05:33:22 PM

Symphony No. 2

Once again I'm in sheer delight with this riveting symphony. When Weingartner is inspired, the music flows effortlessly.

I have and enjoy the CPO disc of his Symphony No. 7.  It looks like the only way I'm going to fill in these other symphonies is to get the complete symphonies set on CPO.

TD: Lenny!

Schumann: Symphony No. 2
Bartok: MfSPC

JBS

He wasn't just a scherzo kind of guy
[asin]B07ZWBF1G6[/asin]

Second listen. Solidly composed and performed.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Daverz on March 26, 2020, 06:05:49 PM
I have and enjoy the CPO disc of his Symphony No. 7.  It looks like the only way I'm going to fill in these other symphonies is to get the complete symphonies set on CPO.

As far as I remember, the first symphonies contain some of his finest music. Don't have vivid memories of the 7th at the moment. I hope it will be good too.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

André

Alkan played on a 1865 Pleyel.

André

Acts II-IV

Extraordinary music, gripping narrative. Bloch at his most cinematically colourful.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: André on March 26, 2020, 07:19:40 PM

Acts II-IV

Extraordinary music, gripping narrative. Bloch at his most cinematically colourful.

This sounds right up my street!

Noam Chomsky

Irons

Stanford: Irish Rhapsody No.4.

Stanford on his own turf shows him in the best possible light. I enjoyed the 4th Rhapsody immensely, so much so, I have ordered the Chandos double CD of the six Irish Rhapsodies with Handley.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

listener

I remembered that Friday is VIERNE's day so it's his
Organ Symphonies 3 & 6
Bernard Maathieu,  organ of the Église Saint-Sebastien, Nancy
and a collection of choral muic  by KRENEK
RIAS-Kammerchor
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

vandermolen

Quote from: André on March 26, 2020, 01:50:46 PM

Bloch's Macbeth (1910). Prologue and Act I. The rest will be after dinner. Powerfully evocative. Gripping.

Live recording from the 1998 German premiere of the work. Sung in the original French.
Very tempted by this André

TD
Sibelius Symphony No.2 and Finlandia
The Cleveland Orchestra, Yoel Levi (Telarc)
A rather straightforward, understated and unemotional account but, paradoxically, I found it rather affecting. Very different to other versions I have heard and it gains momentum as it goes along:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).