What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j winter

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

San Antone

Pohjolas Daughter

So far today, Sibelius' Symphony No. 1 with Lorin Maazel and Pittsburgh  :)

Kept me company whilst doing some KP duty; more duty to come alas!
Pohjolas Daughter

André

There are 2 works here, Un Enfant appelle and La Prison. The cd cover doesn't make that quite clear. Composed in 1979-1980 and recorded her in 1984. Both works were composed for, and created by Landowski's friends soprano Galina Vishnevskaya and cellist Mstislav Rostropovich.

Un Enfant appelle is a group of 3 poems by the mystic poetess Marie Noel. Landowski set them to music for soprano and an important contribution from the cellist, with orchestra. La Prison is a 'concerto-opéra' for soprano, cello, percussion and orchestra.

Un Enfant appelle is one of the most fascinating works from that Landowski box. The poems are extremely moving, Vishnevskaya invests herself totally in their delivery and Rostropovich's contribution is most eloquent. Both artists' tone (voice and instrument) are immediately recognizable. This is very special music, and very special music making.

vers la flamme

Quote from: San Antone on March 30, 2020, 07:18:30 AM

Symphony No. 3 "Kaddish"

I'm going to seek this out I think.

TD;

Leonard Bernstein: Symphony No.2, "The Age of Anxiety". Marin Alsop, Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, w/ Jean-Yves Thibaudet.

Just finished. That finale is incredible!

pjme

Quote from: San Antone on March 30, 2020, 07:18:30 AM

Symphony No. 3 "Kaddish"
I do like this 1964 version with its thundering pathos and flamboyant drama. Mme. Montealegre sounds like a contemporary Jeanne d'Arc - this score can have that!
Jennie Tourel (64 at the time of the recording) sounds a bit strained.

More recent recordings have younger (mezzo)soprano soloists and usually a less histrionic, male narrator (with slightly adapted text).
But this recording I find very exiting. There's also a lot of delicacy and mystery. A great score!

j winter

It's a Russian day today, I have decided.  Continuing on with Scriabin, Symphony #2 & Le Poeme de l'extase, Muti & Philadelphia... greatly enjoying this, I don't remember when I last listened to Scriabin...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: j winter on March 30, 2020, 10:03:39 AM
It's a Russian day today, I have decided.  Continuing on with Scriabin, Symphony #2 & Le Poeme de l'extase, Muti & Philadelphia... greatly enjoying this, I don't remember when I last listened to Scriabin...

I went Finnish, then Russian (so far) today.  :)  Don't know Scriabin's symphonies.  What are they like?

Just finished listening to a scintillating recording of Rachmaninoff's Third Piano Concerto--live with Argerich and Chailly on Philips.  Will listening to the other recording a bit later.  Mine is a Philips 50.

Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 30, 2020, 08:59:51 AM

So far today, Sibelius' Symphony No. 1 with Lorin Maazel and Pittsburgh  :)

Kept me company whilst doing some KP duty; more duty to come alas!

Love that set!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

San Antone

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 30, 2020, 10:39:21 AM
I'm in!

I am just finishing up listening to Marin Alsop's recording of Kaddish.  I think it is a very good version.

Claire Bloom, Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, Marin Alsop, Kelley Nassief, Washington Boys Chorus

Claire Bloom is tastefully restrained, which is nice, Kelley Nassief (soprano) handles her sections well, Alsop conducts the work with command and necessary drama, but always in firm control.

vers la flamme

Samuel Barber: Symphony No.2, op.19. Marin Alsop, Royal Scottish National Orchestra.

First listen. Has a Sibelian feel almost like the first symphony, but also kind of draws to mind Leonard Bernstein's symphonies from the same period. Pretty good music, I think. I don't think Barber should have withdrawn it, which he supposedly did citing that it was "war propaganda" in music. Interesting.

ritter

Quote from: André on March 30, 2020, 09:22:26 AM

There are 2 works here, Un Enfant appelle and La Prison. The cd cover doesn't make that quite clear. Composed in 1979-1980 and recorded her in 1984. Both works were composed for, and created by Landowski's friends soprano Galina Vishnevskaya and cellist Mstislav Rostropovich.

Un Enfant appelle is a group of 3 poems by the mystic poetess Marie Noel. Landowski set them to music for soprano and an important contribution from the cellist, with orchestra. La Prison is a 'concerto-opéra' for soprano, cello, percussion and orchestra.

Un Enfant appelle is one of the most fascinating works from that Landowski box. The poems are extremely moving, Vishnevskaya invests herself totally in their delivery and Rostropovich's contribution is most eloquent. Both artists' tone (voice and instrument) are immediately recognizable. This is very special music, and very special music making.
Thanks for painting those works out, André. I have the Landowski box, but still haven't listened to that particular CD. To be remedied soon!  :)

Cheers,

San Antone

Concerto for Orchestra "Jubilee Games"
José Eduardo Chama, Israel Philharmonic Orchestra, Leonard Bernstein

j winter

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 30, 2020, 10:23:14 AM
I went Finnish, then Russian (so far) today.  :)  Don't know Scriabin's symphonies.  What are they like?

I'm still fairly early in my acquaintance with Scriabin myself.  My understanding is he evolved quite a bit over the course of his composing life, and I can definitely hear that here -- the second symphony is a classic Romantic style work, very much in the mold of Brahms or Dvorak, whereas the Op 54 reminds me a lot of some of Wagner's overtures, with a much wider, more adventurous tonal palette.  Very enjoyable.

TD:  Stravinksy, Le Sacre du printemps & Petrushka Suite, Ormandy & Philadelphia.  Having heard Night On Bald Mountain earlier today, I'm continuing the Fantasia flashbacks  8)  Great stuff this...

vandermolen

Khachaturian: Violin Concerto
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: pjme on March 30, 2020, 09:48:05 AM
I do like this 1964 version with its thundering pathos and flamboyant drama. Mme. Montealegre sounds like a contemporary Jeanne d'Arc - this score can have that!
Jennie Tourel (64 at the time of the recording) sounds a bit strained.

More recent recordings have younger (mezzo)soprano soloists and usually a less histrionic, male narrator (with slightly adapted text).
But this recording I find very exiting. There's also a lot of delicacy and mystery. A great score!

It is excellent!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: San Antone on March 30, 2020, 10:57:34 AM
I am just finishing up listening to Marin Alsop's recording of Kaddish.  I think it is a very good version.

Claire Bloom, Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, Marin Alsop, Kelley Nassief, Washington Boys Chorus

Claire Bloom is tastefully restrained, which is nice, Kelley Nassief (soprano) handles her sections well, Alsop conducts the work with command and necessary drama, but always in firm control.

I was sure you must be right about the orchestral music being up there with his best—that is, that this must have been part of my experience at Symphony, to which I failed to keep fast.

I'm going in for a second listen right away. Lenny's is so convincing a presentation (and thanks, probably, to my already having come round to the Mass) I effortlessly took the text on its own terms.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

San Antone

Beethoven : Missa Solemnis

Philippe Herreweghe

MusicTurner

Quote from: j winter on March 30, 2020, 11:17:40 AM
I'm still fairly early in my acquaintance with Scriabin myself (....)

TD:  Stravinksy, Le Sacre du printemps & Petrushka Suite, Ormandy & Philadelphia.  Having heard Night On Bald Mountain earlier today, I'm continuing the Fantasia flashbacks  8)  Great stuff this...

That early Ormandy recording is one of my favourite versions of Le Sacre du Printemps - very fiery, and certainly among the fastest ever (30 minutes).