Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 347476 times)

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #17460 on: May 23, 2020, 03:56:46 AM »
Mozart

Symphony No.39

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #17461 on: May 23, 2020, 04:27:15 AM »

The first three quartets.  At times, there's something approaching the relaxed, just right feel of the Vegh, with a bit more vigorousness in other spots, and a Soviet intonation.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #17462 on: May 23, 2020, 04:42:07 AM »
Rerun.

Musik am Hofe derer von Bünau Volume II.
Saxon musical landscapes in the 16th & 17th centuries.

Composers are:
Thomas Avenarius, Stephan Otto, Andreas Hammerschmidt, Samuel Seidel, Daniel Selichius, Esajas Hickmann, Johann Groh.

Ensemble Alte Musik Dresden.

This is the last of a series of Five CD' s dedicated to the mentioned era and region. Raumklang made a very good recording in der Schlosskapelle zu Weesenstein in 1999 and 2003. In the vocal ensemble are very good voices, not least of Dorothee Mields, Constanze Backes, and Christine Maria Rembeck. They make a very attractive picture of the music, all quality compositions mind. Diction is fantastic, choir discipline amazing, and the expression takes some beating. Instrumental contributions are fine too.
Not much to wish, well maybe more of this menu. The other 4 discs are of equal quality.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 04:44:00 AM by "Harry" »
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline Dowder

• Self-employed at my troll farm
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach, Haydn & Mozart, Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Russians, DP and DM
« Reply #17463 on: May 23, 2020, 04:51:18 AM »
”But what is government but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary.”~~James Madison, Federalist 51

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #17464 on: May 23, 2020, 05:06:10 AM »
It is on a CD coupled with The Crown of India Suite. I am not sure how generally available it is as it came to me in a Chandos Mystery Box and these tend to contain impending deletions.

The reason I ask is mistakenly I thought Gibson never made it to CD in Elgar.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline Biffo

• Veteran member
« Reply #17465 on: May 23, 2020, 05:15:42 AM »
The reason I ask is mistakenly I thought Gibson never made it to CD in Elgar.

I hadn't seen the symphony before but he did make an excellent CD album of overtures for Chandos which I have owned for many years.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
    Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Weinberg, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Martinů, Dvořák, Sibelius, Nielsen, Tubin, Atterberg, Holmboe, Tveitt, Langgaard, Copland, Barber, W. Schuman, Bernstein, Rouse, Vaughan Williams, Alwyn, Arnold, Walton
« Reply #17466 on: May 23, 2020, 05:33:31 AM »
NP:

“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline listener

• Veteran member
« Reply #17467 on: May 23, 2020, 05:39:41 AM »
PALIASHVILI:   Liturgy of St. John Chrisostom
Cantus Sacred Music Ensemble
good notes, and an English translation supplied!
ENESCO: Dymphonie Concertante for Cello, Suite Villageoise
Franco Maggio-Ormezowski, cello
Monte-Carlo Philharmonic    Lawrence Foster, cond.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #17468 on: May 23, 2020, 05:42:12 AM »
Boulez

There is certainly more connection with the music of Boulez than I could imagine a few years ago,its not only fascinating but enjoyable as well.

sur Incises
Une page d'ephéméride

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #17469 on: May 23, 2020, 05:42:52 AM »
NP:

Very nice John.

TD
Another craggy British symphony. Truscott was an authority on Havergal Brian and at times I was reminded of Brian's music, as well as, in the last movement, moments of Bruckner. The Symphony is somehow related to the Passion of Christ and ends in glowering darkness, which I find oddly moving. The CD is also worth having for the touching Elegy:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Weinberg, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Martinů, Dvořák, Sibelius, Nielsen, Tubin, Atterberg, Holmboe, Tveitt, Langgaard, Copland, Barber, W. Schuman, Bernstein, Rouse, Vaughan Williams, Alwyn, Arnold, Walton
« Reply #17470 on: May 23, 2020, 05:47:47 AM »
Very nice John.

TD
Another craggy British symphony. Truscott was an authority on Havergal Brian and at times I was reminded of Brian's music, as well as, in the last movement, moments of Bruckner. The Symphony is somehow related to the Passion of Christ and ends in glowering darkness, which I find oddly moving. The CD is also worth having for the touching Elegy:

Glazunov wrote some fantastic music, IMHO, Jeffrey. Good to see you’re a fan, too. Oh and I own that Truscott disc. I might have to dig that one out and give it a spin given the high marks you give it.
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #17471 on: May 23, 2020, 05:48:51 AM »
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #17472 on: May 23, 2020, 06:00:05 AM »
Recent arrival.

A consort's Monument.
Fantasies, Ayres & Dances by:

Giovanni Coperario, Claudio Monteverdi, Christopher Simpson, Alfonso Ferrabosco II, John Ward, William Lawes, John Jenkins, Thomas Lupo, John Deering,  William White.

Performed by:
L' Acheron, Francois Joubert Caillet.

One of my best buys of 2020. A marvelous compilation of music that gladdens the heart as well as the head, in exemplary performances, and top notch sound. The CD was recorded in 2019 in the Eglise Notre Dame de Centeilles, which has a good acoustic.
I would get it if I were you, for its quite a unique recording.
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17473 on: May 23, 2020, 06:04:25 AM »
Recent arrival.

A consort's Monument.

One of my best buys of 2020. A marvelous compilation of music that gladdens the heart as well as the head, in exemplary performances, and top notch sound. The CD was recorded in 2019 in the Eglise Notre Dame de Centeilles, which has a good acoustic.
I would get it if I were you, for its quite a unique recording.

Noted!  :)

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #17474 on: May 23, 2020, 06:33:29 AM »

Anton Bruckner: Symphony No.2 in C minor. Daniel Barenboim, Berlin Philharmonic

Nothing wrong with this work, in my book.

Does anyone know of a table that has been published anywhere, that includes famous recordings of Bruckner symphonies and which version/edition of the symphony that the conductor uses? I think that something like that might be quite helpful.

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #17475 on: May 23, 2020, 06:37:23 AM »

Does anyone know of a table that has been published anywhere, that includes famous recordings of Bruckner symphonies and which version/edition of the symphony that the conductor uses? I think that something like that might be quite helpful.

https://www.abruckner.com/discography

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
« Reply #17476 on: May 23, 2020, 06:45:34 AM »
https://www.abruckner.com/discography

Sarge

Great, thanks so much. You were ready to go with that link.  ;D

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #17477 on: May 23, 2020, 06:49:31 AM »
Great, thanks so much. You were ready to go with that link.  ;D

Well, I do use it a lot  ;)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #17478 on: May 23, 2020, 07:02:14 AM »
Shostakovich, Dmitri - Symphonies, Nos. 5-7 w/ Michael Sanderling - doing a couple of discs a day; booklet has a concise summary of each work, and also includes full texts (in Russian, English, & German) of all the vocal parts.

Spohr, Louis - Symphonies, Nos. 1 & 2 w/ Howard Shelley on Hyperion; all 10 symphonies recorded on 5 discs (reviews of most attached, if interested); main competition is Howard Griffiths on CPO (now boxed although likely in separate jewel boxes from my past purchases) - after reading the reviews, appears a close call as to the best cycle (older series w/ Alfred Walter on Marco Polo and/or Naxos, not likely competitive).  Also for myself, I still prefer Spohr's chamber music, although in his lifetime he was consider one of the best composer's around and compared favorably to the 'greats' of the time.  Dave :)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #17479 on: May 23, 2020, 07:57:51 AM »
Shostakovich, Dmitri - Symphonies, Nos. 5-7 w/ Michael Sanderling - doing a couple of discs a day; booklet has a concise summary of each work, and also includes full texts (in Russian, English, & German) of all the vocal parts.

How is this box set, Dave? Are you finding the performances satisfactory?