What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Traverso

Boulez

There is certainly more connection with the music of Boulez than I could imagine a few years ago,its not only fascinating but enjoyable as well.

sur Incises
Une page d'ephéméride

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 23, 2020, 06:33:31 AM
NP:

Very nice John.

TD
Another craggy British symphony. Truscott was an authority on Havergal Brian and at times I was reminded of Brian's music, as well as, in the last movement, moments of Bruckner. The Symphony is somehow related to the Passion of Christ and ends in glowering darkness, which I find oddly moving. The CD is also worth having for the touching Elegy:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 23, 2020, 06:42:52 AM
Very nice John.

TD
Another craggy British symphony. Truscott was an authority on Havergal Brian and at times I was reminded of Brian's music, as well as, in the last movement, moments of Bruckner. The Symphony is somehow related to the Passion of Christ and ends in glowering darkness, which I find oddly moving. The CD is also worth having for the touching Elegy:

Glazunov wrote some fantastic music, IMHO, Jeffrey. Good to see you're a fan, too. Oh and I own that Truscott disc. I might have to dig that one out and give it a spin given the high marks you give it.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Harry

Recent arrival.

A consort's Monument.
Fantasies, Ayres & Dances by:

Giovanni Coperario, Claudio Monteverdi, Christopher Simpson, Alfonso Ferrabosco II, John Ward, William Lawes, John Jenkins, Thomas Lupo, John Deering,  William White.

Performed by:
L' Acheron, Francois Joubert Caillet.

One of my best buys of 2020. A marvelous compilation of music that gladdens the heart as well as the head, in exemplary performances, and top notch sound. The CD was recorded in 2019 in the Eglise Notre Dame de Centeilles, which has a good acoustic.
I would get it if I were you, for its quite a unique recording.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on May 23, 2020, 07:00:05 AM
Recent arrival.

A consort's Monument.

One of my best buys of 2020. A marvelous compilation of music that gladdens the heart as well as the head, in exemplary performances, and top notch sound. The CD was recorded in 2019 in the Eglise Notre Dame de Centeilles, which has a good acoustic.
I would get it if I were you, for its quite a unique recording.

Noted!  :)

vers la flamme

Anton Bruckner: Symphony No.2 in C minor. Daniel Barenboim, Berlin Philharmonic

Nothing wrong with this work, in my book.

Does anyone know of a table that has been published anywhere, that includes famous recordings of Bruckner symphonies and which version/edition of the symphony that the conductor uses? I think that something like that might be quite helpful.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 23, 2020, 07:33:29 AM

Does anyone know of a table that has been published anywhere, that includes famous recordings of Bruckner symphonies and which version/edition of the symphony that the conductor uses? I think that something like that might be quite helpful.

https://www.abruckner.com/discography

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

vers la flamme

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 23, 2020, 07:45:34 AM
Great, thanks so much. You were ready to go with that link.  ;D

Well, I do use it a lot  ;)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

SonicMan46

Shostakovich, Dmitri - Symphonies, Nos. 5-7 w/ Michael Sanderling - doing a couple of discs a day; booklet has a concise summary of each work, and also includes full texts (in Russian, English, & German) of all the vocal parts.

Spohr, Louis - Symphonies, Nos. 1 & 2 w/ Howard Shelley on Hyperion; all 10 symphonies recorded on 5 discs (reviews of most attached, if interested); main competition is Howard Griffiths on CPO (now boxed although likely in separate jewel boxes from my past purchases) - after reading the reviews, appears a close call as to the best cycle (older series w/ Alfred Walter on Marco Polo and/or Naxos, not likely competitive).  Also for myself, I still prefer Spohr's chamber music, although in his lifetime he was consider one of the best composer's around and compared favorably to the 'greats' of the time.  Dave :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 23, 2020, 08:02:14 AM
Shostakovich, Dmitri - Symphonies, Nos. 5-7 w/ Michael Sanderling - doing a couple of discs a day; booklet has a concise summary of each work, and also includes full texts (in Russian, English, & German) of all the vocal parts.

How is this box set, Dave? Are you finding the performances satisfactory?

T. D.

vandermolen

A great performance and beautifully recorded and presented. In a way Dausgaard's performance sounds more 'classical' than many and more integrated. Quite different from any other version I have heard and I'm delighted to have this interpretation.
My grateful thanks to John/MI:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 23, 2020, 06:47:47 AM
Glazunov wrote some fantastic music, IMHO, Jeffrey. Good to see you're a fan, too. Oh and I own that Truscott disc. I might have to dig that one out and give it a spin given the high marks you give it.
I'd be interested to know what you think John.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 23, 2020, 08:57:51 AM
How is this box set, Dave? Are you finding the performances satisfactory?

Hi John - so far, a consistently excellent set - now listening to Symphony No. 8 (a long and bleak one) on headphones - Sanderling and the Dresden orchestra have performed beautifully throughout from what I've heard to this point.  Sanderling controls the tempi and the dynamics, in particular, in a well controlled manner without heavily laden sound - the instruments are well represented and distinct w/ excellent sonics from the Sony engineers.  Although many prefer to buy Shosty symphonies based on different individual performances, I like 'boxes' for convenience (and I do not consider myself a 'super' discerning listener, just not my skill set) - and I must say that this Sanderling box will serve me well.  Dave :)

Todd

Dueling Firsts.  Saraste gets rock solid, as good as anyone in the world playing from his band.  Perfectly judged, steady tempi, perfect dynamics, impeccable ensemble, transparency, the whole bit.  It's good, museum grade playing.  Rattle gets playing hardly less accomplished from his band, but he introduces more flexibility, and a greater romantic feel, though one tempered by a man who conducts a lot of 20th Century music.  Advantage Rattle.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

MusicTurner

To my surprise, the Krommer-Kramar clarinet concerto recordings in this box have turned out to be absolutely delightful, in the league of say Weber's, IMHO. The soloists are Tsutsui and Berkes, and it's originally a Naxos recording. I hadn't really noticed my old LPs with some of these works before.

Generally, this 14CD box is really a bargain.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8495875--clarinet-concertos

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 23, 2020, 09:27:39 AM
A great performance and beautifully recorded and presented. In a way Dausgaard's performance sounds more 'classical' than many and more integrated. Quite different from any other version I have heard and I'm delighted to have this interpretation.
My grateful thanks to John/MI:

Pounds the table, Jeffrey! Fantastic! Glad you enjoyed it. 8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 23, 2020, 10:08:03 AM
Hi John - so far, a consistently excellent set - now listening to Symphony No. 8 (a long and bleak one) on headphones - Sanderling and the Dresden orchestra have performed beautifully throughout from what I've heard to this point.  Sanderling controls the tempi and the dynamics, in particular, in a well controlled manner without heavily laden sound - the instruments are well represented and distinct w/ excellent sonics from the Sony engineers.  Although many prefer to buy Shosty symphonies based on different individual performances, I like 'boxes' for convenience (and I do not consider myself a 'super' discerning listener, just not my skill set) - and I must say that this Sanderling box will serve me well.  Dave :)

Ah, very cool, Dave. Thanks for your feedback! 8)