What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linz, not edward and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

bhodges

Grisey: Talea (Ensemble Court-Circuit) - Outstanding. One of Grisey's masterpieces, done with both passion and precision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpVwUibl6Zc

--Bruce

Traverso

Prokofiev

pianosonatas 7-8 & 9

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on May 23, 2020, 11:52:06 AM
Prokofiev

pianosonatas 7-8 & 9

Very nice, Traverso. I may cue these up later on tonight. How are you liking Ovchinnikov's cycle so far?

Todd

Disc 4.  Holy crap!  18/6 is basically played as late period Beethoven, and it sounds magnificent.  The interplay of the two violinists is just crazy clear and good.  The slow movement, and the slower sections generally, elevate the playing to the string quartet equivalent of Volodosian greatness.  And that's the weak work on the disc.  Op 127 may be the best I've heard.  They elevate it to levels typically reserved for Op 132.  (Which makes me wonder how great that will be.)  Playing for the ages.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 23, 2020, 11:29:40 AM
Pounds the table, Jeffrey! Fantastic! Glad you enjoyed it. 8)

There is a kind of rhythmic drive about Dausgaard's 'Kullervo' which is quite unique - indeed, a very fine performance.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 23, 2020, 12:06:13 PM
Very nice, Traverso. I may cue these up later on tonight. How are you like Ovchinnikov's cycle so far?

I like this set very much,it is good to have more than one recording of these beautiful sonatas.This music is so entertaining  with its compelling rhythms and dreamy andantes that Richter has played in such an inimitable way.
Tomorrow I will listen to these sonatas again with Matti Raekallio and Boris Belkin who is another master in these works.It's fun to listen to these various performances Can I make a choise?
I like Boris very much but  wouldn't miss the other recordings.  ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Traverso on May 23, 2020, 12:57:01 PM
I like this set very much,it is good to have more than one recording of these beautiful sonatas.This music is so entertaining  with its compelling rhythms and dreamy andantes that Richter has played in such an inimitable way.
Tomorrow I will listen to these sonatas again with Matti Raekallio and Boris Belkin who is another master in these works.It's fun to listen to these various performances Can I make a choise?
I like Boris very much but  wouldn't miss the other recordings.  ;)

Very nice, indeed. Good to hear you're enjoying the Ovchinnikov recordings.

Thread duty -

Again, Glazunov's 7th but this time with Svetlanov at the helm:

Much better than Serebrier's performance, IMHO. Svetlanov has the full measure of this music, but this isn't really meant to be a dismissal of Serebrier, but I'm really digging the more Russian approach of Svetlanov.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Brewski on May 23, 2020, 11:41:59 AM
Grisey: Talea (Ensemble Court-Circuit) - Outstanding. One of Grisey's masterpieces, done with both passion and precision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpVwUibl6Zc

--Bruce

Listening to that now

Thanks for the link.

Todd

Disc one.  Very well played.  Comparatively light, delicate, and elegant. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

SimonNZ

Karl Henning

Piano improv to film by our own weirdears (Chris Forbes)

https://www.youtube.com/v/MGlIxmHFAGY
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

André

Quote from: Dowder on May 23, 2020, 03:40:53 PM

That's a good one! I was especially taken by the symphony, but the whole disc is excellent.

Karl Henning

WCRB rebroadcasting a BSO concert including the Nielsen Fifth Sibelius' Pohjola's Daughter & Truls Mørk playing the Elgar vc concertohttps://www.classicalwcrb.org/#stream/0
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 23, 2020, 03:31:44 PM
This recording:

+1 - enjoy a lot of Alwyn's chamber music - Dave :)

Symphonic Addict

Scythian Suite

Järvi is quite good on Prokofiev IMO. I remember the first time I heard this beast. Such a dynamic piece of music.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 23, 2020, 04:41:25 PM
+1 - enjoy a lot of Alwyn's chamber music - Dave :)

I'm not familiar with Alywn's chamber music, Dave. I've read some good things about his SQs, so do you think these works would be a good place to start?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 23, 2020, 04:45:10 PM

Scythian Suite

Järvi is quite good on Prokofiev IMO. I remember the first time I heard this beast. Such a dynamic piece of music.

I can only nod my head along with yours. This is one of Järvi's best Prokofiev recordings. I have to say I'm quite fond of this recording as well:

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 23, 2020, 04:59:51 PM
I'm not familiar with Alywn's chamber music, Dave. I've read some good things about his SQs, so do you think these works would be a good place to start?

Well, the discs below are in my collection but have not listened to them recently - but assume that I enjoyed since still there -  8)  Dave

Mirror Image

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 23, 2020, 05:13:42 PM
Well, the discs below are in my collection but have not listened to them recently - but assume that I enjoyed since still there -  8)  Dave

I'll keep those recordings in mind, Dave. Thanks for the feedback.