What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 28, 2020, 02:31:46 PM
Very cool, Cesar. 8) I've only got one recording of Veress' music:

I don't really remember much about this music as I bought the above disc probably 8-9 years ago. Might have to check those symphonies out.

What I've heard has been intriguing thus far. I hope the works on that CD will be as fascinating or better.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Sergeant Rock

Weinberg Trumpet Concerto Zhiuraitis conducting the Moscow Phil

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

André

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 28, 2020, 03:38:50 PM
Weinberg Trumpet Concerto Zhiuraitis conducting the Moscow Phil

Sarge

This disc is one of the best things to ever come out of the Soviet Union !

Mirror Image

Quote from: André on May 28, 2020, 04:03:11 PM
This disc is one of the best things to ever come out of the Soviet Union !

+ 1 Two masterpieces on one disc.

Mirror Image

Vox amoris from this recording:

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Daverz

Dvorak Symphony No. 8

Thrilling and beautifully recorded, with a very solid bass foundation for such an old recording (1961).

Symphonic Addict

Souvenir: Trois morceaux dans le genre pathétique

Alkan is one of my favorite piano composers. His works are imbued with much mysticism and spark. These Hyperion cover arts chosen for some of his works suit perfectly to the gothic atmosphere they manage to depict.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

T. D.

Disc 8, late (24, 30-32) sonatas.

Symphonic Addict

Kalevi Aho - Clarinet Concerto

Continuing my traversal on these concertos. Aho makes the clarinet sound with much distinctiveness, and he's not ashamed to use a full orchestra to provide all of sorts of possible sonorities and colour.

Noam Chomsky

André

I just noticed that this post of mine ended up in the wrong thread  ::).

Disc two of this heart-warming set. Contents:

- Adagio y fuga, para violoncello y orquesta (1948)
- Sinfonía de la danza prima - Sinfonía no 3 (1951)
- El palo verde, suite de ballet (1956)
- Cuadros de la Naturaleza (1967)
- Tema variado y fuga, en estilo dodecafónico (1963-67)

Prieto delved into dodecaphonism late in her career, adapting the serial technique to her own style, using hyperchromaticism and tone clusters. In the works prior to the sixties her language was warmly tonal, practically always rooted in dance and folk tunes from her native Asturias.

SonicMan46

Telemann, GP - Windy Music - a lot of GP's wind music today, and much more the last few days - wrote a long 're-activation' post in the 'Telemann Thread' a few days ago but disappeared w/ the server crash unfortunately - Dave :).

vandermolen

Bloch.
Great to have these two fine works on one CD but I read somewhere that, by doing so, the sound is not as good as on the original separate releases. Still sounds fine to me however:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 03, 2020, 01:05:58 PM

Kalevi Aho - Clarinet Concerto

Continuing my traversal on these concertos. Aho makes the clarinet sound with much distinctiveness, and he's not ashamed to use a full orchestra to provide all of sorts of possible sonorities and colour.

Pounds the table! Remarkable work, Cesar.

Aho's Flute Concerto for me:

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 03, 2020, 02:52:52 PM
Pounds the table! Remarkable work, Cesar.

Aho's Flute Concerto for me:

8)

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Theremin Concerto

A fascinating work and, although I don't think about the theremin when I walking down the street like I do the violin or the piano, this is a finely written work. It's called Acht Jahreszeiten (Eight Seasons). Here are some notes on this concerto:

In the Concerto for Theremin, there is also a theatrical element, this time springing from the nature of the instrument itself. Invented in 1920, the theremin is the world's first electronic instrument, and consists of two antennae, both of which respond to the movements of the player's hand in the air. The instrument is played without being touched, and Aho describes the experience of hearing it as 'magical – the soloist is like a magician, a weaver of spells, producing music just by moving his hands without touching the instrument at all.' After having been introduced to the theremin by Carolina Eyck, and deciding to write a work for her and the Lapland Chamber Orchestra, this 'shamanistic aspect' led Aho to conceive of 'Eight Seasons': a concerto in eight movements, played without a break, and based on the traditional division of the year by the Sami, the indigenous people of Lapland. The wide range of sounds and effects available on the theremin are used by Aho to depict seasonal events such as the first frost, the melting of the ice and the midnight sun, and his score also exploits Carolina Eyck's unusual ability to simultaneously sing and play the theremin.

[Taken from the BIS website]

Also, this may be of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/v/SEEjKG2g5Tc

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 03, 2020, 04:20:13 PM
Theremin Concerto

A fascinating work and, although I don't think about the theremin when I walking down the street like I do the violin or the piano, this is a finely written work. It's called Acht Jahreszeiten (Eight Seasons). Here are some notes on this concerto:

In the Concerto for Theremin, there is also a theatrical element, this time springing from the nature of the instrument itself. Invented in 1920, the theremin is the world's first electronic instrument, and consists of two antennae, both of which respond to the movements of the player's hand in the air. The instrument is played without being touched, and Aho describes the experience of hearing it as 'magical – the soloist is like a magician, a weaver of spells, producing music just by moving his hands without touching the instrument at all.' After having been introduced to the theremin by Carolina Eyck, and deciding to write a work for her and the Lapland Chamber Orchestra, this 'shamanistic aspect' led Aho to conceive of 'Eight Seasons': a concerto in eight movements, played without a break, and based on the traditional division of the year by the Sami, the indigenous people of Lapland. The wide range of sounds and effects available on the theremin are used by Aho to depict seasonal events such as the first frost, the melting of the ice and the midnight sun, and his score also exploits Carolina Eyck's unusual ability to simultaneously sing and play the theremin.

[Taken from the BIS website]

Also, this may be of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/v/SEEjKG2g5Tc

Interesting to read, John. Thanks for sharing. Yet another concerto I'll be listening to these days. The theremin is such a peculiar instrument. Its sound is similar to a soprano voice.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 03, 2020, 04:39:02 PM
Interesting to read, John. Thanks for sharing. Yet another concerto I'll be listening to these days. The theremin is such a peculiar instrument. Its sound is similar to a soprano voice.

It's a rather unusual instrument, but I think Aho has done something truly original with it. This concerto is rather bizarre, but it has a certain understated 'other-worldliness' to it that I find alluring and ear-fetching.

Symphonic Addict

Water Music, Op. 82b

This is the version for symphony orchestra. Two pompous and celebratory outer movements, whilst the 2nd movement is so peaceful, featuring one of his most nostalgic tunes. Somehow that melody reminds me of my childhood.

Arthur Somervell - Symphony in D minor Thalassa

Uninspired and down-watered work. Something to forget.  ::)

Noam Chomsky