What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxandpeng and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

vandermolen

Well, this arrived super-quick from Germany this morning, faster than most stuff I order from the UK.
This is powerful stuff, dark, craggy, tonal. Here are some extracts from the notes to set the tone:
'My depair for the future is infinite' (Eklund) as the note writer puts it 'This view is mirrored in his music,. Unsurprisingly perhaps, we are told that 'Ekland was one of the few that the great Swedish composer Allan Pettersson accepted to meet now and then. They have in common the deep feelings of despair'. 'The music is very serious and gnarly [I like that expression - must start using it myself as an alternative to 'craggy'  8)], with many eruptive episodes...' That was a description of Symphony 3 'Sinfonia rustica' (1967-8). Both that and Symphony 5 'Quadri' have a similar level of dissonance and the music is often loud and turbulent. However, my attention was held throughout and I detected a strong feeling of nature. Composers that came to mind were Blomdahl and Kokkonen. The opening of the 11th Symphony 'Piccola' (1994-5) which is actually the longest of the three reminded me a bit of Bartok or Lutoslawski - it is in memory of Eklund's teacher Lars-Erik Larsson. Good to see Gunnar de Frumerie mentioned in the notes. This is all sombre and serious stuff but, as I said, my attention was held and I shall be returning to this CD. I hope that they record some more Ekland. I especially liked Symphony No.6, despite the atrocious recording, on You Tube and am sorry that it was not included here:

Added later. I enjoyed all these works on first hearing but probably the No.11 tribute to Lars-Erik Larsson is my favourite. I found the last movement rather moving.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on June 28, 2020, 04:19:30 AM
Barbirolli, 1957, IMHO one of the finest recordings of A London Symphony ever:

+1 that is a great VW collection. A pity that Urania never include notes ('too expensive' they tell me). Gramophone Magazine (latest edition) has a feature on Barbirolli.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

vandermolen

Brooding and darkly impressive: Paul von Klenau (Symphony No.7), 1941.
Thank you André for reminding us of this fine score:

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all,

A British afternoon today methinks...

Malcolm Arnold - Film music Vol.1

Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on June 29, 2020, 04:50:22 AM
Good afternoon all,

A British afternoon today methinks...

Malcolm Arnold - Film music Vol.1

Good afternoon Olivier.
That's a very nice disc. I rember my parents taking me to see 'Whistle Down the Wind' as a child and it is my favourite on that CD. I'm fairly sure that the 'Sound Barrier' was performed at the concert I attended in London in celebration of Arnold's (75th?) birthday.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on June 29, 2020, 03:33:52 AM
+1 that is a great VW collection. A pity that Urania never include notes ('too expensive' they tell me). Gramophone Magazine (latest edition) has a feature on Barbirolli.
Jeffrey,

I haven't subscribed to Gramophone for a while, but a local library carries it; may I ask which month it is?  I would be interested in reading the article.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

Quote from: vandermolen on June 29, 2020, 04:56:38 AM
Good afternoon Olivier.
That's a very nice disc. I rember my parents taking me to see 'Whistle Down the Wind' as a child and it is my favourite on that CD. I'm fairly sure that the 'Sound Barrier' was performed at the concert I attended in London in celebration of Arnold's (75th?) birthday.

Nice Jeffrey.
I only know Kwai as music and movie, none of the others in either format at all. Whistle down the wind is coming up next  :) 
Olivier

André

Quote from: vandermolen on June 29, 2020, 03:27:14 AM
Well, this arrived super-quick from Germany this morning, faster than most stuff I order from the UK.
This is powerful stuff, dark, craggy, tonal. Here are some extracts from the notes to set the tone:
'My depair for the future is infinite' (Eklund) as the note write puts it 'This view is mirrored in his music,. Unsurprisingly perhaps, we are told that 'Ekland was one of the few that the great Swedish composer Allan Pettersson accepted to meet now and then. They have in common the deep feelings of despair'. 'The music is very serious and gnarly [I like that expression - must start using it myself as an alternative to 'craggy'  8)], with many eruptive episodes...' That was a description of Symphony 3 'Sinfonia rustica' (1967-8). Both that and Symphony 5 'Quadri' have a similar level of dissonance and the music is often loud and turbulent. However, my attention was held throughout and I detected a strong feeling of nature. Composers that came to mind were Blomdahl and Kokkonen. The opening of the 11th Symphony 'Piccola' (1994-5) which is actually the longest of the three reminded me a bit of Bartok or Lutoslawski - it is in memory of Eklund's teacher Lars-Erik Larsson. Good to see Gunnar de Frumerie mentioned in the notes. This is all somber and serious stuff but, as I said, my attention was held and I shall be returning to this CD. I hope that they record some more Ekland. I especially liked Symphony No.6, despite the atrocious recording, on You Tube and am sorry that it was not included here:

Added later. I enjoyed all these works on first hearing but probably the No.11 tribute to Lars-Erik Larsson is my favourite. I found the last movement rather moving.

Great review, Jeffrey! Now I must act and place it in the cart... Too bad JPC has stopped delivering here... :(

Maestro267

Bartók: Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta
BBC SO/Boulez

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 29, 2020, 03:27:14 AM
'My depair for the future is infinite' (Eklund) as the note write puts it 'This view is mirrored in his music,. Unsurprisingly perhaps, we are told that 'Ekland was one of the few that the great Swedish composer Allan Pettersson accepted to meet now and then. They have in common the deep feelings of despair'. 'The music is very serious and gnarly [I like that expression - must start using it myself as an alternative to 'craggy'  8)], with many eruptive episodes...' That was a description of Symphony 3 'Sinfonia rustica' (1967-8). Both that and Symphony 5 'Quadri' have a similar level of dissonance and the music is often loud and turbulent. However, my attention was held throughout and I detected a strong feeling of nature. Composers that came to mind were Blomdahl and Kokkonen. The opening of the 11th Symphony 'Piccola' (1994-5) which is actually the longest of the three reminded me a bit of Bartok or Lutoslawski - it is in memory of Eklund's teacher Lars-Erik Larsson. Good to see Gunnar de Frumerie mentioned in the notes. This is all somber and serious stuff but, as I said, my attention was held and I shall be returning to this CD. I hope that they record some more Ekland. I especially liked Symphony No.6, despite the atrocious recording, on You Tube and am sorry that it was not included here:

Very nice, Jeffrey. Thanks for the write-up. Looks like an interesting composer.

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 29, 2020, 05:08:23 AM
Jeffrey,

I haven't subscribed to Gramophone for a while, but a local library carries it; may I ask which month it is?  I would be interested in reading the article.

PD

Hi PD,
It's the July 2020 issue.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on June 29, 2020, 05:24:18 AM
Great review, Jeffrey! Now I must act and place it in the cart... Too bad JPC has stopped delivering here... :(
My pleasure André and John,
I think that the music would be of interest. There is a fair amount of 'Crash-Bang-Wallop' and lots of use of the drum but there is something of significance there. I'm v pleased to have the CD and have already played Symphony 11 twice.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 29, 2020, 05:48:08 AM
My pleasure André and John,
I think that the music would be of interest. There is a fair amount of 'Crash-Bang-Wallop' and lots of use of the drum but there is something of significance there. I'm v pleased to have the CD and have already played Symphony 11 twice.

Very nice. As a former percussionist, I always like hearing that more drum have been included into a work from the composer. ;D

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mahlerian

Mahler: Das Lied von der Erde
Agnes Baltsa, Klaus König, London Philharmonic Orchestra, cond. Tennstedt
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Biffo

Vaughan Williams: Job - A Masque for Dancing - Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Sir Andrew Davis - fine performance with excellent recorded sound. Building up to listening to the Sixth Symphony again.

Papy Oli

A first listen: Rubbra - String quartets No.1,3 & 4.

Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 29, 2020, 05:57:19 AM
Very nice. As a former percussionist, I always like hearing that more drum have been included into a work from the composer. ;D
I had no idea that you were a former percussionist - very interesting.
I like your Weinberg quote by the way. It reminds me a bit of Shostakovich's quote:
'All that is dark and ignominious will disappear - everything that is beautiful will triumph'.

Now playing - Gabriel Rodo, Symphony No.2:

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 29, 2020, 06:22:57 AM
I had no idea that you were a former percussionist - very interesting.
I like your Weinberg quote by the way. It reminds me a bit of Shostakovich's quote:
'All that is dark and ignominious will disappear - everything that is beautiful will triumph'.

Yeah, I've mentioned it before on the forum, but it was only a few times. Very good quote from Shostakovich and so true.