What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 29, 2020, 11:18:55 AM
Rubbra's SQs are exquisite, Jeffrey.
Definitely something I need to explore further John. SQ No.1 (Dutton) has gone straight into the Amazon shopping basket.  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 29, 2020, 08:18:30 AM
Ives Orchestral Set No. 1 (Three Places in New England) and Orchestral Set No. 2, Dohnányi conducting the Cleveland

Sarge

Cheers, Sarge!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

From the Triad concerts last November, a Walt Whitman setting by our friend, Salem composer Jim Dalton

https://www.youtube.com/v/IfnbaHp4194
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 29, 2020, 11:36:12 AM
Was just listening to the London & Pastoral Symphonies from that set!
Two of the greatest performances of those works IMO. That's the set I have complete with notes! Unlike its most recent RCA manifestation.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

A little faster than the performances by Rousset and Belder, which I like.
Her execution is very accurate with vigorous rhythm, and the performance conveys classy cuteness.
Very good recording.

Symphonic Addict

Henri Tomasi - Symphonie du Tiers monde

Stupendous!
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 29, 2020, 11:39:37 AM
Cheers, Sarge!

Hey, Karl...couldn't help thinking about you when listening to Three Places.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

SonicMan46

Palladian Ensemble - four of their albums in two double disc digipaks - delightful stuff!  Dave :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: SonicMan46 on June 29, 2020, 12:39:32 PM
Palladian Ensemble - four of their albums in two double disc digipaks - delightful stuff!  Dave :)

I love especially an Excess of Pleasure. I saw Palladian in Bremen many years ago. They encored, believe it or not, with San Antonio Rose  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

JBS

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 29, 2020, 11:36:12 AM
Was just listening to the London & Pastoral Symphonies from that set!

And a bit ago I was listening to the London Symphony myself, along with Concerto Accademico. 
Quote from: vandermolen on June 29, 2020, 11:54:14 AM
Two of the greatest performances of those works IMO. That's the set I have complete with notes! Unlike its most recent RCA manifestation.

This was probably among the first box sets I ever got. It was certainly my intro to RVW's symphonies.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 29, 2020, 12:38:50 PM
Hey, Karl...couldn't help thinking about you when listening to Three Places.

Sarge

Love the St-Gaudens Shaw Memorial!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

SonicMan46

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 29, 2020, 12:52:33 PM
I love especially an Excess of Pleasure. I saw Palladian in Bremen many years ago. They encored, believe it or not, with San Antonio Rose  ;D

Sarge

Hi Sarge - would have loved to heard that encore - a favorite song of mine and own so many versions, although two of my favorites are Bob Wills w/ Tommy Duncan and Ray Price - Dave :)

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on June 29, 2020, 12:54:33 PM
And a bit ago I was listening to the London Symphony myself, along with Concerto Accademico. 
This was probably among the first box sets I ever got. It was certainly my intro to RVW's symphonies.
And what a great way to discover the VW symphonies.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 29, 2020, 11:52:33 AM
What's your impression of this CD John?

I'm not too thrilled with the audio quality but it's serviceable and since these are the only recordings of these works, I shouldn't be too disappointed. I liked the works very much. I especially liked the Piano Concerto No. 2 and Concerto Grosso, which is a work that broke out into almost a jazz romp, especially towards the end with the call-and-response from percussion and the orchestra.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on June 29, 2020, 11:37:37 AM
Definitely something I need to explore further John. SQ No.1 (Dutton) has gone straight into the Amazon shopping basket.  ::)

All four SQs are definitely worth your time, Jeffrey. I bought the OOP set from the Conifer label (the Sterling String Quartet) and have been rather impressed with the performances.

Mirror Image

Serenade, Op. 47 from this new acquisition:

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 29, 2020, 01:36:59 PM
I'm not too thrilled with the audio quality but it's serviceable and since these are the only recordings of these works, I shouldn't be too disappointed. I liked the works very much. I especially liked the Piano Concerto No. 2 and Concerto Grosso, which is a work that broke out into almost a jazz romp, especially towards the end with the call-and-response from percussion and the orchestra.
Many thanks John. Good to know.

SonicMan46

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 29, 2020, 12:56:49 PM
Love the St-Gaudens Shaw Memorial!

Hi Karl - love that memorial also which we saw on our recent trip to Boston - last April we made one of our many trips to Kiawah Island (south of Charleston, SC) - one day trip to Folly Beach - a short walk at the northern tip allows a great view of the 'underwater' Morris Island Lighthouse - Shaw and his Afro-American soldiers attacked Ft. Wagner on that island and he lost his life - if interested, follow THIS LINK and go to post #40 of a travelogue I put together of the trip; one of my pics below of the lighthouse.  Dave :)