Author Topic: What are you listening 2 now?  (Read 413798 times)

Que (+ 1 Hidden) and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
Re: What are you listening 2 now?
« Reply #20380 on: June 30, 2020, 07:53:38 AM »
Well, this arrived super-quick from Germany this morning, faster than most stuff I order from the UK.
This is powerful stuff, dark, craggy, tonal. Here are some extracts from the notes to set the tone:
'My depair for the future is infinite' (Eklund) as the note writer puts it 'This view is mirrored in his music,. Unsurprisingly perhaps, we are told that 'Ekland was one of the few that the great Swedish composer Allan Pettersson accepted to meet now and then. They have in common the deep feelings of despair'. 'The music is very serious and gnarly [I like that expression - must start using it myself as an alternative to 'craggy'  8)], with many eruptive episodes...' That was a description of Symphony 3 'Sinfonia rustica' (1967-8). Both that and Symphony 5 'Quadri' have a similar level of dissonance and the music is often loud and turbulent. However, my attention was held throughout and I detected a strong feeling of nature. Composers that came to mind were Blomdahl and Kokkonen. The opening of the 11th Symphony 'Piccola' (1994-5) which is actually the longest of the three reminded me a bit of Bartok or Lutoslawski - it is in memory of Eklund's teacher Lars-Erik Larsson. Good to see Gunnar de Frumerie mentioned in the notes. This is all sombre and serious stuff but, as I said, my attention was held and I shall be returning to this CD. I hope that they record some more Ekland. I especially liked Symphony No.6, despite the atrocious recording, on You Tube and am sorry that it was not included here:

Added later. I enjoyed all these works on first hearing but probably the No.11 tribute to Lars-Erik Larsson is my favourite. I found the last movement rather moving.

Thanks for the report, Jeffrey! Sounds most intriguing.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Mieczysław Weinberg (1919 - 1996)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Weinberg, Prokofiev, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Rimsky-Korsakov, Shchedrin, Kabalevsky, Schnittke, Korngold, Ben-Haim, Bloch, Honegger, Martinů, Copland, Barber, Walton, Villa-Lobos, Ginastera, Respighi, Malipiero
« Reply #20381 on: June 30, 2020, 07:54:07 AM »
Thanks for the report, Jeffrey! Sounds most intriguing.

+1
“There will be sunshine again and the violins will sing of peace on earth.” - Closing line from Weinberg’s Symphony No. 6, Op. 79

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
« Reply #20382 on: June 30, 2020, 07:55:29 AM »
Now playing - Gabriel Rodo, Symphony No.2:

Oooooh! What do you think?
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
« Reply #20383 on: June 30, 2020, 08:03:16 AM »

Pounds the table! A fantastic recording.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
« Reply #20384 on: June 30, 2020, 08:07:29 AM »

Henri Tomasi - Symphonie du Tiers monde

Stupendous!

Very cool, Cesar. I’ve been meaning to investigate more of Tomasi’s music as I enjoy his concerti for horn and trumpet very much.

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
« Reply #20385 on: June 30, 2020, 08:11:48 AM »
I actually listened to these symphonies back to back the other night:

Both surprisingly compelling for such long early works.  Even after being primed by Brian's massive opus, the Bloch work is really loud.

I much prefer the Bloch! ;) That said, I haven’t heard the Brabbins recording of the Gothic.

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #20386 on: June 30, 2020, 10:23:09 AM »
Revisiting Henri Dutilleux’s music, via this recent purchase:

CD 1 (Symphony No. 1 conducted by Paavo Järvi, and Symphony No. 2, “Le double” under Charles Munch).
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
„ Kein’ Musik ist ja nicht auf Erden, die unsrer verglichen kann werden“.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    Shostakovich, Weinberg, Prokofiev, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Rimsky-Korsakov, Shchedrin, Kabalevsky, Schnittke, Korngold, Ben-Haim, Bloch, Honegger, Martinů, Copland, Barber, Walton, Villa-Lobos, Ginastera, Respighi, Malipiero
« Reply #20387 on: June 30, 2020, 10:28:16 AM »
The Tale of Tsar Saltan Suite

“There will be sunshine again and the violins will sing of peace on earth.” - Closing line from Weinberg’s Symphony No. 6, Op. 79

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #20388 on: June 30, 2020, 10:48:44 AM »
Weiss, Silvius (1687-1750) - London Manuscript w/ Michel Cardin - 12 CD box - the 'complete' liner notes (53 pages) are too large to attach but are located HERE, for those interested.  Dave :)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #20389 on: June 30, 2020, 11:47:32 AM »
In the event of a hypothetical fire the one recording I would grab first.
Good to know Lol. It is indeed fabulous in all respects.
Oooooh! What do you think?
Enjoyable but nothing special,

Now playing: Mossolov SQ No.1 - an extraordinary work:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #20390 on: June 30, 2020, 01:12:56 PM »

Irving Fine - Symphony

Seriously speaking, this is a very engaging, succinct, somewhat dramatic, impressive and fine symphony (pun intended). It was written by using serialist techniques according to what I read about it. I would rank it among the best American symphonies.

Moreover, this orchestra play incredibly wonderful.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 01:14:40 PM by Symphonic Addict »

Offline Dowder

All the good stuff
« Reply #20391 on: June 30, 2020, 02:25:37 PM »

Listening to the early sonatas.
”But what is government but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary.”~~James Madison, Federalist 51

Offline Dowder

All the good stuff
« Reply #20392 on: June 30, 2020, 02:36:34 PM »
Pounds the table! A fantastic recording.
Beautiful record indeed. Listened to it again this morning.
”But what is government but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary.”~~James Madison, Federalist 51

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #20393 on: June 30, 2020, 02:43:03 PM »

Two highly attractive works, maybe I prefer the String Quartet No. 1 by a small margin, but both pieces don't disappoint at all. I know John bought this disc recently, so he will surely enjoy it as well.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #20394 on: June 30, 2020, 03:02:08 PM »

Two highly attractive works, maybe I prefer the String Quartet No. 1 by a small margin, but both pieces don't disappoint at all. I know John bought this disc recently, so he will surely enjoy it as well.

Very good to read, Cesar. 8) Ben-Haim has really become a favorite of mine over the last few weeks.

Thread duty -

Sculthorpe tone poems: Kakadu, Earth Cry & Mangrove

Scintillating music and performances. I wish that Stuart Challender could’ve lived longer. He was a great champion of Australian music and, in particular, of Sculthorpe.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #20395 on: June 30, 2020, 03:05:25 PM »
Nielsen
Symphony # 1
Janáček Phil
Kuchar
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #20396 on: June 30, 2020, 03:59:59 PM »
Symphony No. 11, Op. 114, “In Memoriam D. Shostakovich”

Hurwitz called this symphony ‘dreary’ and something else, but I have to say this is a fitting tribute to his friend and having Maxim Shostakovich conduct it makes it that much more special.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 04:12:35 PM by Mirror Image »

Online André

• Veteran member
« Reply #20397 on: June 30, 2020, 04:04:40 PM »

Irving Fine - Symphony

Seriously speaking, this is a very engaging, succinct, somewhat dramatic, impressive and fine symphony (pun intended). It was written by using serialist techniques according to what I read about it. I would rank it among the best American symphonies.

Moreover, this orchestra play incredibly wonderful.

+ 1

I certainly concur with your assessment. I haven’t heard that particular recording, but I have 2 others, both very fine (pun again  ;)).

Online André

• Veteran member
« Reply #20398 on: June 30, 2020, 04:31:10 PM »

In the years since I last heard Tomasi’s Requiem pour la paix, I have become acquainted with Britten’s War Requiem - and have come to love the piece. This has served me well while listening to the Tomasi work (composed in 1946). Both works share a very bleak, doleful, sullen view of the subject. There’s little here to lift the spirit. The landscape is limitless and there is no consolation in sight. Grim as this may seem, the work (Tomasi’s) is beautiful in a way, if only because it is true to the composer’s state of mind - he totally lost his faith in God after WWII, the nuclear holocaust having shaken it to its foundations. The Requiem is powerful but pithy and almost laconic. The closest musical kinship I can think of is Britten, but Tomasi has a quite unique voice.

Fanfares liturgiques is like a symphony for brass and percussion. There’s a soprano solo in the 4th and last piece singing a lament over betrayal and dereliction. It’s really quite unique - stunning both musically and emotionally. The short last piece is for bass trombone and brass. It’s based on Hamlet’s soliloquy, with the bass trombone taking the ‘role’ of reciter. That, too is quite special. It should have been placed before one of the other works, though.

Tomasi is known to all trumpet players as the writer of a famous concerto (over a dozen recordings exist). Like Arnold and Hindemith, he composed for just about every instrument of the orchestra. The works on this disc show him in a much more serious, reflective mood. Recommended.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #20399 on: June 30, 2020, 05:03:20 PM »
 Last CD of this set

Boccaccio says in the notes he wanted to give the impression of a concert, so there's no order to the pieces and organ is interspersed with harpsichord.  I'm not terribly familiar with Sweelinck's music, but the set works for me.

Harpsichord is by Sebastiano Cali, 2017, after Joannes Couchet 1697.
There are three organs
Johanneskirche, Oederquart, 1678 Arp Schnitger
Marienkirche, Lemgo, 1612/13 Fritz Scherer
Andreaskirche, Ostoennen (Soest) around 1550
All three organs have been "recently restored/reconstructed by the organ builder  Rowan West"

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk