What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iota, Lisztianwagner and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 05, 2020, 03:59:09 AMWondering what the gong is for behind him?  Perhaps a bit of a joke--

Hurwitz is a percussionist. In a previous review he demonstrated the tam-tam, how it should sound, damning recordings that underplayed it. Someone mentioned in the comments that it made a good and appropriate backdrop to his videos. Since then it's become a semi-permanent fixture.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Traverso

aligreto

Beethoven: Christ on the Mount of Olives [Spering]

There is a very fine sense of drama and tension in this performance. There is great playing from the orchestra and the vocalists are wonderful. Musically I find it a nod back in the direction of Haydn/Mozart.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 05, 2020, 04:11:06 AM
Hurwitz is a percussionist. In a previous review he demonstrated the tam-tam, how it should sound, damning recordings that underplayed it. Someone mentioned in the comments that it made a good and appropriate backdrop to his videos. Since then it's become a semi-permanent fixture.

Sarge
Oh, neat!  Thanks for the explanation Sarge.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Sergeant Rock

Chopin Piano Concerto No. 1, Zimerman conducting from the keyboard

https://www.youtube.com/v/S1Iv2JJc-Qc

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Traverso

Schumann & Saint-Saens

Carnaval,op.9
piano concerto No.5
Orchestre Lamoureux

Madiel

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 05, 2020, 04:11:06 AM
Hurwitz is a percussionist.

Well that would explain a lot of comments in his reviews over the years. He gets mightily annoyed when key moments of percussive impact in pieces don't come through.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vers la flamme

Anton Bruckner: Symphony No.4 in E-flat major, the "Romantic". Daniel Barenboim, Berlin Philharmonic

Only fitting that this entry in Barenboim's series should be Earth. The 4th is Bruckner at his most "traditional", though it is still deeply Brucknerian, and arguably his most wholly successful. In any case, I'm not sure whether it is still my favorite, but it's definitely the symphony that hooked me on Bruckner (this time, last year) and I will likely always retain a special admiration for it. This is a good recording, a good, mainstream antidote to the (great, but quite slow) Celibidache/Munich recording of the same symphony I listened to recently. Barenboim is a skilled Brucknerian. I'm happy to have this set for reference for all of these symphonies, even if each recording is not necessarily my favorite.

Papy Oli

Franz Krommer - Symphonies No.1-2-3

1 & 2 so far. Really enjoyable. Perfect for an easy Sunday, in a very good way, that is.

Love that cover as well. Hat tip to Brian for mentioning this CD in the Purchases thread.

Olivier

aligreto

Bruckner: Mass No. 1 [Jochum] 

Jochum is a favoured interpreter of Bruckner for me and he does not disappoint here. The presentation is radiant overall. The vocals, both solo and choral, are wonderful as is the instrumental playing. The inherent power and subtleties, drama and tension of the work are very well presented and the music flows effortlessly. This is a work that I would definitely like to hear live.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Que

From the pile with "used" bargains:

Quite a treat, I must say!  :)

Q

Que

Quote from: Todd on July 05, 2020, 06:03:32 AM

Not sure how you and those recordings get along, but that set most certainly gets my vote.

Q

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 05, 2020, 03:59:09 AM
Perhaps a bit of a joke--I thought of a silly program that was on the air in the States during the 1970's called The Gong Show in which contestants had a short amount of time to do their act; if the audience didn't boo them, I think that they then went onto the next round?  If they didn't pass the muster though, they were 'gonged' and removed from the stage.

Best,

PD

p.s.  Dave,  If I'm in the mood to listen to Elgar, I admit, I'll normally gravitate towards his violin or cello concerto rather than his symphonies.  Do you like any of his chamber music?  I am fond of it myself.   :)

I remember the Gong Show ... was thinking the other day (for no apparent reason) of Gene Gene the Dancing Machine

My entrée to the Elgar Violin Sonata was, I turned pages for the accompanist, when Nigel Kennedy came to play a recital at UVa.  Loved it from the get-go
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mahlerian

Elgar: Sea Pictures
Sarah Connolly, Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, cond. Wright
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Todd on July 05, 2020, 06:03:32 AM

Op 12.
I've been meaning to buy this album for a while now...someday!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 05, 2020, 06:17:57 AM
I remember the Gong Show ... was thinking the other day (for no apparent reason) of Gene Gene the Dancing Machine

My entrée to the Elgar Violin Sonata was, I turned pages for the accompanist, when Nigel Kennedy came to play a recital at UVa.  Loved it from the get-go
My, my!  Did you get a chance to talk with Mr. Kennedy?   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

First listen to Biber's Rosary Sonatas.

Olivier