What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roasted Swan, Irons, Harry and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mirror Image

The 6th:

One of my favorites from Bruckner and this HvK set is one of my desert island picks.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Madiel

Having found various Fauré singers with potential (sometimes in mixed programs) based on particular works, I'm now going back to listen to the full albums to see if that potential is fully realised.

This album currently.

Impression so far is: very good, without being heart-stoppingly amazing (see Dietschy for that...). But even "very good" is better than most singers can manage to my ears in Fauré. Diction is extremely good.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Irons

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on July 07, 2020, 09:36:32 AM
One of DG's very earliest Quartets that they recorded. And the 7th or 8th (depending on how you count: https://ionarts.blogspot.com/2017/10/a-survey-of-beethoven-string-quartet.html) quartet ever to record the complete Beethoven String Quartets.

Interesting and comprehensive link.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 07, 2020, 04:32:26 PM
Symphony in F sharp, Op. 40

The best performance I've heard so far of the Korngold Symphony. It's too bad Korngold didn't write more as I can imagine the next one being a bit more astringent and having a hue of Neoclassicism about it. But this is me just wishing for something that can't happen. :) Anyway, this is a stunning symphony.
+1
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 07, 2020, 04:31:48 PM
Finished the Tennstedt Mahler 8th. Now, strictly for comparative purposes...:

Gustav Mahler: "Alles Vergängliche..." from Symphony No.8. Georg Solti, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Viennese choirs, soloists etc.

A very different recording. A lot more presence, of the choirs especially. In the Tennstedt they often sounded ghostly, almost as if they were not really there, whereas here their presence is undeniable. It almost reminds me of Beethoven's 9th in that sense. The Chicago brass are as rich, incisive, and buzzy as ever, and they completely stand out from everything else—it's very unique, and I think I would consider it a fault more than a feature, but I haven't fully decided what I think. This recording is a true sonic triumph, but I'm not entirely sure I'm on the same page interpretively. Very interesting music making nevertheless! I'm going to listen to the whole recording soon.

It certainly is a tour-de-force.

Traverso

Brahms

Symphony No.4
Haydn Variations
Hungarian Dance 1,3 & 10

Thom

Quote from: vandermolen on July 07, 2020, 01:31:55 PM
You haven't been round here for years! Great to hear from you again.  :)

Yes indeed, have been away a long time.
But I intend to visit more often so I will see you around no doubt  ;D
Hope you are well!
Cheers, Thom

Harry

Quote from: Thom on July 07, 2020, 08:57:12 AM
Shostakovich Chamber Symphony op. 118a

I hold the recordings by Barshai of Shostakovich's symphonies very high.
Good to see you back Thom!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Traverso

aligreto

Buxtehude: Sacred Cantatas [Mallon]

In te, Domine, speravi BuxWV 53
Jubilate Domino, BuxWV 64
Wie schmeckt es so lieblich und wohl, BuxWV 108

I like the feel of this CD. The voices are all light in texture and suit the music well. The accompaniment is sympathetic from a small, intimate ensemble giving it a chamber feel. It is a refined and poised presentation.

Harry

New acquisition, First listen.

The Music Prints of Christophe Plantin.

Palestrina-De La Hele-Le Jeune-Pevernage-De Kerle-De Monte.

Huelgas Ensemble, Paul van Nevel.

Since this is a live recording, there are some rough edges, especially in the dynamics, and choir balance. The first Soprano is covering at certain moments the other voices by hooting a little too loudly. Minor issues, but I hear them. Sound is good though. And of course the music makes much good what is not so perfectly done.
Still, I am happy with it.

aligreto

JS Bach: Lute Suite in E minor BWV 996 [Williams]

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on July 08, 2020, 01:28:29 AM
Buxtehude: Sacred Cantatas [Mallon]

In te, Domine, speravi BuxWV 53
Jubilate Domino, BuxWV 64
Wie schmeckt es so lieblich und wohl, BuxWV 108

I like the feel of this CD. The voices are all light in texture and suit the music well. The accompaniment is sympathetic from a small, intimate ensemble giving it a chamber feel. It is a refined and poised presentation.

If you like Buxtehude I strongly can recommend this one!   Es schmeckt auch gutt !  :)

Harry

From the Opera Omnia box. CD IX.

Organ Works 5-CD 1, from 2.

Ton Koopman plays at the Bielefelt organ 1736, St. Wilhadi, Stade, Germany.

The recording is fine, and the organ is a dream to listen to. Koopman has his little idiosyncrasies but as a whole it is very good. All the Harpsichord and Organ works pass muster in regard to other performances.

Biffo

Bliss: Introduction and Allegro - London Symphony Orchestra conducted by the composer - fine piece

aukhawk

Quote from: "Harry" on July 08, 2020, 01:24:20 AM
I hold the recordings by Barshai of Shostakovich's symphonies very high.
Good to see you back Thom!

The 'chamber symphonies' however are not terribly interesting.  They add little to the String Quartets on which they are based, other than a comfortable sheen - which is not really what that music is all about.