What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redgravefenbirder, Maestro267, steve ridgway and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

JBS

Another bite at the last two CDs of this set
[asin]B085DRPXSN[/asin]
I feel comfortable recommending this set.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on July 09, 2020, 02:07:34 PM
The Piano Quintet was due to you and Kyle alerting me to it - such a great discovery for me.

I should revisit it soon. The impression it had on me was significant as well.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Tuba Concerto

VW succeeded to express so much in its 13 minutes long. I don't know many tuba concertos, but I'm pretty sure this stands out.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: JBS on July 09, 2020, 06:13:25 PM
Another bite at the last two CDs of this set
[asin]B085DRPXSN[/asin]
I feel comfortable recommending this set.

Good thing Sweelinck one of my favorite keyboard players, amen to you my brother.

Thom

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 09, 2020, 01:19:26 PM
I've intended to hear this work at some point.

It is in the style of Pärt's choral music. A bit long-winded (over an hour) but still impressive.
Bridge of dawn by this composer is also interesting.
https://youtu.be/Q-Tbj2EMwSc

Thom

Mendelssohn String Symphony 11 op.

Traverso

Bach 

Inventionen & Sinfonien

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on July 09, 2020, 01:47:45 PM

A fine recording it is, :)

Yes indeed, Jan. I also have von Karajan's version of Bruckner 7 with the Berliners on DG which I cannot remember in detail. I suppose that it would make for an interesting exercise to do an A/B comparison with the two.

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

A few more tracks of Biber's Rosary sonatas :

Olivier

Biffo

Bax: Overture, Elegy and Rondo - BBC Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Sir Andrew Davis

vers la flamme

Quote from: aligreto on July 10, 2020, 01:10:24 AM
Yes indeed, Jan. I also have von Karajan's version of Bruckner 7 with the Berliners on DG which I cannot remember in detail. I suppose that it would make for an interesting exercise to do an A/B comparison with the two.

I would be especially curious to know how the EMI Karajan Bruckner 7 stacks up against his famous "final recording" of the same work in Vienna, on DG. I have and enjoy that performance, & now I'm curious about some of Karajan's earlier Bruckner recordings. As it stands he is quite far from my first choice in Bruckner, but I do enjoy his recordings from time to time.

aligreto

Buxtehude: Sonatas:

Sonata in G major, BuxWV 271
Sonata in A minor, BuxWV 272
Sonata in F major, BuxWV 269

aligreto

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 10, 2020, 02:25:13 AM

I would be especially curious to know how the EMI Karajan Bruckner 7 stacks up against his famous "final recording" of the same work in Vienna, on DG. I have and enjoy that performance, & now I'm curious about some of Karajan's earlier Bruckner recordings. As it stands he is quite far from my first choice in Bruckner, but I do enjoy his recordings from time to time.

Be careful, you may be converted  ;D

SimonNZ

includes way more of the chatty bits than I would have expected from a 2 disc set

Traverso

Bennet Calendar
Birtwistle Tragoedia
Crosse Concerto da Camera
Maxwell Davies Leopardi Fragments

aligreto

JB Bach: Suite No. 1 [Huggett]

This is straightforward musical fare but quite charming nonetheless. It is also played with the requisite poise and refinement.

Papy Oli

Olivier

Papy Oli

Olivier

aligreto

Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 [Haitink]

I have largely liked this version. My big issue with it is the presentation of the slow movement which is far too saccharine for me [I could only listen to approximately twenty five percent of it this time around]. Otherwise it is fine and holds up well. It is quite a transparent recording which reveals small hidden gems on close listening. It is also a live recording. The choral singing, in particular, is very fine.