What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Madiel

I've nearly run out of albums like this I want to listen through on streaming, but not quite...

EDIT: This is very good.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Traverso on July 10, 2020, 03:04:12 AM
Bennet Calendar
Birtwistle Tragoedia
Crosse Concerto da Camera
Maxwell Davies Leopardi Fragments

Nice set!  I have that one too (on EMI).   :)

Best wishes,

PD

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on July 09, 2020, 05:00:57 PM
Bruch: Symphony No. 3, Adagio

[asin] B086B8FKNS[/asin]

Yes, just the Adagio, which stood out to me while listening casually as particularly lovely, so I wanted to rehear it.

Bax: Symphonic Variations

[asin] B001U1L9RQ[/asin]

I much prefer Ashley Wass here to Margaret Fingerhut on Chandos, both for the playing and the sound of the piano.  The accompaniment is also more exciting, important in such a rambling work.
I like the Symphonic Variations very much.
Now playing on LP:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on July 10, 2020, 04:39:58 AM
Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 [Haitink]

I have largely liked this version. My big issue with it is the presentation of the slow movement which is far too saccharine for me [I could only listen to approximately twenty five percent of it this time around]. Otherwise it is fine and holds up well. It is quite a transparent recording which reveals small hidden gems on close listening. It is also a live recording. The choral singing, in particular, is very fine.

I remember that this was a recording with the new chorus of the Concertgebouw Orchestra.It didn't last long.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Traverso

Traverso

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 10, 2020, 05:12:37 AM
Nice set!  I have that one too (on EMI).   :)

Best wishes,

PD

My first recording from this box was the Schubert Octet

Mirror Image

vandermolen

Walton Symphony No.1, Philharmonia Orchestra, Haitink.
I'd forgotten just how good this performance is:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Bruckner: String Quartet [L'Archibudelli]

This is a work that I like and this is the only version of it that I have in my collection. I like the somewhat sombre, plaintive tones of the first movement. The slow movement also has a plaintive tone but it is also ardently lyrical. There is an expected contrast in mood and tone with the lively Scherzo and the final movement. I think that the writing is very fine and that he had mastered the genre. It is such a pity that he did not write more String Quartets.

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on July 10, 2020, 05:27:39 AM

I remember that this was a recording with the new chorus of the Concertgebouw Orchestra.It didn't last long.

Do you remember why they did not last Jan?

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on July 09, 2020, 08:17:50 AM
OK, fair enough so.
I hope that we treated you OK while you were here.

Had a lovely time, thanks. Came across on the ferry and four of us toured around in a car. Best of both worlds with stunning scenery and Dublin, a city I felt at home. The Guinness in Dublin is on another level.  :P
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on July 10, 2020, 06:24:20 AM
Walton Symphony No.1, Philharmonia Orchestra, Haitink.
I'd forgotten just how good this performance is:

Very nice, Jeffrey. Haitink was quite good in Walton. I, too, have that Walton set and rather enjoy it. By the way, do you know Weinberg's Chamber Symphonies?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on July 10, 2020, 06:33:22 AM
Had a lovely time, thanks. Came across on the ferry and four of us toured around in a car. Best of both worlds with stunning scenery and Dublin, a city I felt at home. The Guinness in Dublin is on another level.  :P
Ummm!  The best that I had in the States was at Makem's in NYC (as in Tommy Makem of The Clancy Brothers) which is alas no longer.

PD

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on July 10, 2020, 06:33:22 AM

I am very pleased with that.
I do not drink Guinness but I am reliably informed that its quality here is due to the water [River Poddle] and of course the two and a half centuries of expertise in brewing it. There is a large element of nepotism involved in the company, for very good reason, whereby children and grandchildren are recruited when family members retire. The requisite skills are thereby passed down through the generations. I am also reliably informed that Guinness does not travel well when exported. 

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 10, 2020, 06:41:17 AM
Very nice, Jeffrey. Haitink was quite good in Walton. I, too, have that Walton set and rather enjoy it. By the way, do you know Weinberg's Chamber Symphonies?
Hi John, I have some CDs of chamber music by Weinberg but not any chamber symphonies.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on July 10, 2020, 06:59:01 AM
Hi John, I have some CDs of chamber music by Weinberg but not any chamber symphonies.

Ah okay. I was just curious. You would enjoy these works I'd imagine, Jeffrey.

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on July 10, 2020, 06:55:29 AM
I am very pleased with that.
I do not drink Guinness but I am reliably informed that its quality here is due to the water [River Poddle] and of course the two and a half centuries of expertise in brewing it. There is a large element of nepotism involved in the company, for very good reason, whereby children and grandchildren are recruited when family members retire. The requisite skills are thereby passed down through the generations. I am also reliably informed that Guinness does not travel well when exported.

That explains it. There is a huge difference in Guinness drunk in Dublin and beyond then consumed elsewhere.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 10, 2020, 07:02:35 AM
Ah okay. I was just curious. You would enjoy these works I'd imagine, Jeffrey.
I suspect so too John.

André

3 more times in the past week. Superb collection of orchestral works by this contemporary danish composer.