What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498 and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

MusicTurner

Quote from: André on July 10, 2020, 07:44:12 AM

3 more times in the past week. Superb collection of orchestral works by this contemporary danish composer.

Yes, as far as I remember quite nice. Norby didn't write that many large works, but a lot of music hasn't been recorded. Dacapo has made two specific Norby CDs; BIS and Erato also recorded some orchestral/concertante works. But there's a 'Sinfonia da Requiem' and a 'Nocturne' for orchestra, a 'Concerto for 2 Sopranos & Orchestra' and 'Variations for Orchestra' as well. (cf. 'Værkliste' at https://komponistbasen.dk/node/8403#6)

André

Quote from: MusicTurner on July 10, 2020, 07:53:02 AM
Yes, as far as I remember quite nice. Norby didn't write that many large works, but a lot of music hasn't been recorded. Dacapo has made two specific Norby CDs; BIS and Erato also recorded some orchestral/concertante works. But there's a 'Sinfonia da Requiem' and a 'Nocturne' for orchestra, a 'Concerto for 2 Sopranos & Orchestra' and 'Variations for Orchestra' as well. (cf. 'Værkliste' at https://komponistbasen.dk/node/8403#6)

Thanks!

I ordered this disc yesterday:

His music sounds like Poul Ruders', but with a romantic streak.

aligreto

Bax: String Quartet No. 3 [Maggini Quartet]

The first movement, conversational in style, employs very engaging harmonies in an appealing musical language. There is a nice bit of tension and drama in the final passage towards the end. The lyrical slow movement is dark and intense and is contemplative without being melancholy. The third movement is a lively scherzo reminiscent, for me, of a macabre dance. The trio section offers little relief as it is the macabre dancer merely having something of a breather. This is an intriguing movement. The final movement is somewhat spirited and ebullient without being assertive. The conclusion is not an ideal resolution however, I feel. I would have preferred something more robust.

MusicTurner

Quote from: André on July 10, 2020, 08:13:57 AM
Thanks!

Congrats. Sadly it's not in my collection yet, but at least I've got the BIS recording of The Rainbow Snake ...

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

vandermolen

Quote from: André on July 10, 2020, 08:13:57 AM
Thanks!

I'm sure I've heard the Rainbow Snake in concert but maybe I just had it on LP.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mahlerian

https://www.youtube.com/v/lQPgMQew7YU

This live Boulez/CSO performance of Mahler's Seventh is really good, better than his DG studio version with Cleveland for sure, though the Andante Amoroso is still a little too quick for my liking.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

JBS

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 10, 2020, 02:25:13 AM

I would be especially curious to know how the EMI Karajan Bruckner 7 stacks up against his famous "final recording" of the same work in Vienna, on DG. I have and enjoy that performance, & now I'm curious about some of Karajan's earlier Bruckner recordings. As it stands he is quite far from my first choice in Bruckner, but I do enjoy his recordings from time to time.

I think his EMI Bruckner is much better than his DG Bruckner. The DG recordings of the first three symphonies are excellent, the rest merely average. In fact I think his EMI Fourth is the sort that can qualify as "Best Recording Ever Made Of This Work". The Seventh is good but not as good as the Fourth.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

André

Quote from: JBS on July 10, 2020, 09:23:02 AM
I think his EMI Bruckner is much better than his DG Bruckner. The DG recordings of the first three symphonies are excellent, the rest merely average. In fact I think his EMI Fourth is the sort that can qualify as "Best Recording Ever Made Of This Work". The Seventh is good but not as good as the Fourth.

+1.

Too bad EMI didn't record them in the 5th and 9th Symphonies - although Karajan's 2 recordings of the 9th are magnificent.

Mirror Image

Braunfels: String Quintet in F Major, Op. 63

not edward

Schnittke's 5th symphony, as conducted by Rozhdestvensky. The playing lacks some of the refinement of the Concertgebouw under Chailly, and the sound quality is rather brutalist, yet I still find it a compelling alternative reading.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

ritter

A selection of works by Jacques Ibert...

[asin]B004ZARXTW[/asin]
CD 2

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Irons

Beethoven: Septet.

There is a sense of discovery and freshness from this early (1978) HIP performance. The sound from the old instruments is earthy and rustic with none of the drawbacks that would appear later in this style of performance, over-refinement and worse, mannered with bulging notes.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Sergeant Rock

Poulenc Organ Concerto, Preston, organ, Ozawa conducting the Boston

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

listener

BOYDELL: In Memoriam Mahatma Gandhi, Violin Concerto,
Masai Mara, Megalithic Ritual Dances
Maighread McCrann, violin     Nat. S.O. of Ireland,  Colman Pearce, cond.
PIERNÉ: Impressions de Music Hall, Fantaisie basque (violin & orch.)
Izéÿl – Suite, Divertissements sur un theme pastoral
Philippe Koch violin  Luxembourg Philharmonic Orch,  Bramwell Tovey, cond.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Mirror Image

I can't say the Braunfels' String Quintet made much of an impression on me, but here's a work that I do enjoy:

Korngold: String Sextet in D major, Op. 10

Symphonic Addict

Symphony No. 7

Having seen this symphony mentioned here lately I couldn't help myself to hear it again, just that listening to this rendition. One feature I noticed it lacked spirituality, a soul, but overall it's very nice.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: JBS on July 10, 2020, 09:23:02 AM
In fact I think his EMI Fourth is the sort that can qualify as "Best Recording Ever Made Of This Work".

I agree. Karajan's EMI recording has been my favorite Bruckner Fourth since I picked up the LP in the 70s.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"