What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Mirror Image

One more work before bed and continuing on with Myaskovsky's symphonies: the 9th -

Symphonic Addict

Lovely chamber music by Joseph Jongen. All of those works possess charm, refinement, elegance and a feminine touch. A delightful program.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 11, 2020, 02:21:56 PM

Ralph Vaughan Williams: Symphony No.2, "A London Symphony". André Previn, London Symphony Orchestra
That's perhaps my favourite recording on the 1936 version of A London Symphony. The great performances in that set (they are all good) are nos 2,3,5 and 8.
Also a thumbs up for Litton's recording of Prokofiev's 6th Symphony which I got my daughter to get for me for Christmas when it first came out. Also +1 for Paul Ben Haim.
Now playing Walton Henry V Suite (arr. Sargent):
[/img][/img]
I'm listening to the CD from the boxed set but here are the original LP and CD releases. I much prefer the Battle of Britain painting cover (that was also used on the first CD release as well). The painting is actually featured in the later CD release as well (the one with the film camera) as its included in the booklet (not a lot of people know that  8)):
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Now playing:
Lou Harrison: Symphony No.2 'Elegiac'
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: Todd on July 11, 2020, 01:53:16 PM

Who are the performers? I am guessing one of the old guard.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Que

Morning listening via Spotify:

I liked volume I, though not without some reservations. 
Volume II is better, though there still some minor imperfections.

On the shopping list it goes!

Q

vandermolen

Rubbra: Symphony No.5

Madiel

Scriabin, Symphony No.3, 'The Divine Poem'

Early indications are this is where Ashkenazy brings his A-game.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

aligreto

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 10, 2020, 01:43:16 PM
Never heard of Boydell before. How is the music?

There are one or two comments that you may want to investigate here if you are so inclined:

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,15744.40.html

Just scroll down to the end of the page.

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on July 11, 2020, 01:06:22 PM
No I can't, I think it was too expensive to have their own choir while there are excellent professional choirs they used in the past. I searched the internet but found nothing. ;)

Thank you for that my friend.

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

Rubbra - String Quartet no. 1

Olivier

aligreto

Caldara: Missa Dolorosa [Clemencic]

This is a relatively small scale work. This does not, however, detract from its nature, character or integrity. If anything it enhances it. It is a very fine work in terms of both scope and tone. Clemencic delivers a fine presentation and the performances from both vocalists and instrumentalists is admirable and very cohesive.

Papy Oli

Rubbra - Chamber music

2 very beautiful pieces so far:

Meditazioni Sopra 'Cœurs Désolés' Op. 67 for Oboe and Piano
Sonata in C for Oboe and Piano Op. 100
Olivier

Que

A jpc bargain that was still lying around:

[asin]B01DOVDBM0[/asin]
http://www.musica-dei-donum.org/cd_reviews/BrilliantClassics_95138.html

Q

Traverso

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 11, 2020, 04:39:46 PM
Dipping into this box set that I just unwrapped (I know, I know...embarrassing), playing the two symphonies:

In terms of the symphony, the French haven't been too attracted to the symphonic form. I mean sure you have Saint-Saëns, Roussel, Tournemire, Magnard, etc., but Dutilleux has been one of the only Frenchmen to say something in the form again in the late 20th Century. I know Landowski composed several, but I haven't heard any of his yet.
Not to forget Sauguet's magnificent (IMO) Symphony No.1 'Expiatoire'.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8NDeNm6oSOY

Thom

C.P.E. Bach Cello Concerto Wq. 172

Roasted Swan

amw

I was actually doing spot comparisons for the finale of Chopin's B minor Sonata Op. 58 and so far Argerich (this is the 1970s one) is the only recording that actually compels me to listen thru to the entire thing rather than pausing it to move on to the next one. Definitely an interpretation conceived in a single breath.

Timing is 4:23. Which is insanely impressive but also not that unusual for 40+ years ago. (Kapell comes in at 4:35, Brailowsky at 4:38.) Meanwhile the fastest modern recording appears to be Joseph Moog at about 4:51. Speed is, of course, not everything, so it's also worth noting that no modern recording of this movement comes close to Witold Małcużynski or György Cziffra in terms of quality.

Overall results of the spot comparison so far if anyone cares:
- Argerich on DG x2 - studio better than live but both good
- Bruno-Leonardo Gelber in the EMI "Les Rarissimes" set
- Cziffra
- Kevin Kenner
- Małcużynski
- Marc-André Hamelin

ritter

In the background, while reading the second volume (covering the year 1953) of Jean Cocteau's diary, Le passé défini.

Nice selection of music by composers closely associated with Cocteau. The Honegger Six poésies are presented in an arrangement by Arthur Hoérée for flute and SQ (instead of the original piano accompaniment), which works rather well. The Milhaud (the texts of which are extracts from a catalogue of agricultural machinery) is a very successful work. The pièce de resistance on the CD of course is the collaborative effort by Les Six Les mariés de la tour Eiffel (a piece for which TBH I've never cared much).