What are you listening 2 now?

Started by Gurn Blanston, September 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd

In the big box presentation, Op 95 is paired with Op 127.  It's a nice pairing.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

vers la flamme

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 31, 2020, 06:02:03 AM
Jeffrey,

Were there any major changes to the Lark Ascending?  This is a first time that I've seen an original version of it.

PD

I've not caught up with the thread all the way so I don't know whether your question has been answered already, but the Lark Ascending was for piano and violin in its original version.

vers la flamme

György Kurtág: Movement for Viola & Orchestra; Péter Eötvös: Replica. Kim Kashkashian, Péter Eötvös, Netherlands Radio Chamber Orchestra

Love the Eötvös; lukewarm to the Kurtág, but enjoyed it well enough this time. Great recording.

amw

Quote from: Todd on August 01, 2020, 05:27:23 AM

Bilson is quite good and I could have gone for a set by him alone.  But for Beghin, he was the pianist who operated at the highest level consistently.  I basically view the $5 I spent as fully accounted for and then some by Beghin, with Bilson a bonus, and the others just sort of some nice freebies.
I will check this out, with the caveat that I listened to Beghin's standalone disc of Op.109-111 and it was awful.

Christo

;) With this difference, that for me Englund's Symphony No. 4 'Nostalgic' (1976) is the highlight of this disc:
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Todd

Disc 10.  Easily the best disc of the WoO 47 sonatas performed by three artists on a period instrument in my entire collection.

SonicMan46

Debussy, Claude - Piano Works w/ Noriko Ogawa - also own the set w/ Jean-Efflam Bavouzet - enjoy both - a MusicWeb Review for those interested.  Dave :)

JBS

Quote from: vandermolen on July 31, 2020, 09:41:53 PM
Great looking CD Jeffrey. What is Ireland's 'The Hills'? Never heard of it. Interesting about Abravanel's background. My own background is, to some extent, Sephardic. I like Abravanel's Sibelius cycle as well.

The Hills is for unaccompanied choir. It was part of a joint commission (10 composers, one work each) for the Coronation in 1953.  Musically it fits well with the rest of the CD.

Meanwhile this morning first listen to:
[asin]B000B6N69U[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

not edward

Schnittke's 1st cello concerto; Natalia Gutman's EMI studio recording.

It's hard for me to pick a favourite recording of this work, though that's purely because Natalia Gutman recorded it three times. This might be, by a small margin, the lowest-voltage of them, but it lacks the terrible sound of the Russian studio recording and the wobbly brass of the Russian live one.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 01, 2020, 05:43:00 AM
I've not caught up with the thread all the way so I don't know whether your question has been answered already, but the Lark Ascending was for piano and violin in its original version.
Thanks VLF for responding.  Yes, I did see/hear from Jeffrey as to what the original version was.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Todd

Pohjolas Daughter

David Diamond's "Rounds for String Orchestra" and before that Elliott Carter's "Elegy".  Enjoyed both works.  Will post some comments on the Diamond thread about it...some very interesting liner notes.
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Graupner, Christoph - chamber and small orchestral works w/ period instruments, including chalaumeaus (or is the ending an 'x' for multiple ones?) - at any rate, some wonderful music!  Dave :)

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on August 01, 2020, 05:05:23 AM
Rubbra: Symphony No 5 -  BBC National Orchestra of Wales conducted By Richard Hickox - very enjoyable
+1 a very nice CD with Symphony 8 unless your playing a download.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: JBS on August 01, 2020, 07:30:17 AM
The Hills is for unaccompanied choir. It was part of a joint commission (10 composers, one work each) for the Coronation in 1953.  Musically it fits well with the rest of the CD.

Meanwhile this morning first listen to:
[asin]B000B6N69U[/asin]
Many thanks Jeffrey. I wonder if you know Alwyn's Violin Concerto which I think is a disgracefully neglected work.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Elgar: The Crown of India Suite
Rimsky-Korsakov: The Golden Cockerel Suite

Two very exotic scores. The RK is not the typical uplifting and colourful work. It contains some dissonances and sounds more introspective. Quite interesting.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

JBS

Quote from: vandermolen on August 01, 2020, 02:13:57 PM
Many thanks Jeffrey. I wonder if you know Alwyn's Violin Concerto which I think is a disgracefully neglected work.

Not yet. It's in my shopping cart for this weekend, with some others of his orchestral works.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Que

Quote from: SonicMan46 on August 01, 2020, 02:09:20 PM
Graupner, Christoph - chamber and small orchestral works w/ period instruments, including chalaumeaus (or is the ending an 'x' for multiple ones?) - at any rate, some wonderful music!  Dave :)

What can I say, we're fellow Graupner fans...  :D 
And I also have a particular fondness of the chalumeau.

Q

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 31, 2020, 01:52:41 PM
I mentioned this in the Respighi thread - but it bears repeating here;

the new/latest disc from John Wilson and his Sinfonia of London of the Respighi/Roman trilogy is simply the finest version of this work I have heard.  A perfect storm of sensational playing, demonstration quality recording and impressive interpretation.

I'm gonna give it a listen as soon as possible.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 31, 2020, 01:52:41 PM
I mentioned this in the Respighi thread - but it bears repeating here;

the new/latest disc from John Wilson and his Sinfonia of London of the Respighi/Roman trilogy is simply the finest version of this work I have heard.  A perfect storm of sensational playing, demonstration quality recording and impressive interpretation.

Thanks for the report, RS. I'll be checking this one out, as I'm a big fan of the Sinfonia of London/Wilson/Chandos partnership and this is the kind of rep they excel in!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff